What's new

Whoa. New "Surface Book" just shown

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I doubt the claim as well but maybe we should wait to see the reviews before stating what cannot be correct. No different to a battery life quote, such a performance quote might not be a lie, if it is in a specific circumstance.

I need to wait and see what the "clipboard" battery life is like. That will be the deciding factor between the SP4 and the SB

Dim-Ize

I doubt the claim as well but maybe we should wait to see the reviews before stating what cannot be correct. No different to a battery life quote, such a performance quote might not be a lie, if it is in a specific circumstance.

I need to wait and see what the "clipboard" battery life is like. That will be the deciding factor between the SP4 and the SB

The clipboard mode will be 3 hours. 75% of the battery is in the base and 25% is in the detached clipboard. At least that is what a video report I watched was stating.

Tsurugaya

The clipboard mode will be 3 hours. 75% of the battery is in the base and 25% is in the detached clipboard. At least that is what a video report I watched was stating.

But 25% of capacity doesn't necessarily convert to 3 hours. GPU no longer draws power and we don't know how the screen behaves in clipboard mode. I wouldn't be surprised if 4 hours are closer to the norm.

Dim-Ize

But 25% of capacity doesn't necessarily convert to 3 hours. GPU no longer draws power and we don't know how the screen behaves in clipboard mode. I wouldn't be surprised if 4 hours are closer to the norm.

True. As is the opposite. It depends on what is being done. The specs are 25/75 split and 3 hours according to what MS was saying to those whom were creating "initial impressions" videos. It might only last 60 minutes in some cases depending on one's usage model and how one would define "norm".

unruledboy

I've watched this movie clip more than 10 times, and the Oct 6 event more than 5 times, keep looping at that very moment it reveals the detachment, I literally cried and my body kept shaking, I was way too excited, it is a beauty, and a beast.

LOVE IT, OWN IT!

EMINENT

I've watched this movie clip more than 10 times, and the Oct 6 event more than 5 times, keep looping at that very moment it reveals the detachment, I literally cried and my body kept shaking, I was way too excited, it is a beauty, and a beast.

LOVE IT, OWN IT!

If you watch this simulcast, Leo Laporte's reaction is pretty funny at that moment.

TWiT Live Specials 261 | TWiT.TV

It's really a damn shame there is no stand. Totally ruins the Surface aspect of it. I'm really torn on what to do. I really like the concept, but WTF?

Migi

I saw an article this evening that said the benchmark came from a 2012 MacBook Pro. Not exactly an accurate benchmark. I hate marketing people. Why even bother putting that stuff out there. Let the product speak for itself. It's a good product, there is no need to add statements like that.

Yeah why would they compare it to the 2012 model instead of the current one? That makes absolutely no sense at all.

Migi

If you watch this simulcast, Leo Laporte's reaction is pretty funny at that moment.

TWiT Live Specials 261 | TWiT.TV

It's really a damn shame there is no stand. Totally ruins the Surface aspect of it. I'm really torn on what to do. I really like the concept, but WTF?

Think of how ugly it would look like with a kickstand hanging off the laptop when closed. This is a laptop-first with an optional tablet piece.

Yeah why would they compare it to the 2012 model instead of the current one? That makes absolutely no sense at all.

Perhaps because in 2013 Apple started using PCI SSD's which are considerably faster and MS only did that with the SP4 and SB. PCI would add substantially to the benchmarks if you compared with a non-PCI model.

I'm guessing though.