What's new

Poll Who's experiencing white flashes during startup/restart?

Do white flashes occur on your SP3 during startps/restarts?

• Total voters

Telstar1948

Saw yesterday where someone posted that they had the white-flash-start-up-syndrome BEFORE the May 19th update! Go figure...

Saw yesterday where someone posted that they had the white-flash-start-up-syndrome BEFORE the May 19th update! Go figure...

there was (still is) an issue with a multi-color screen that flashes just before the log on screen appears. It flashes briefly, but its not the same as the 'white' flash that was introduced in the May firmware. I noticed it when I first got the SP3 on every boot. The white flash I noticed immediately after applying May firmware when it rebooted the first time.

OP
J

jonypx09

there was (still is) an issue with a multi-color screen that flashes just before the log on screen appears. It flashes briefly, but its not the same as the 'white' flash that was introduced in the May firmware. I noticed it when I first got the SP3 on every boot. The white flash I noticed immediately after applying May firmware when it rebooted the first time.

I think you're seeing the default lockscreen for the OS; it quickly switches to the user-configured lockscreen; I sometimes see it on my SP3 too as well as my desktop, so I'm guessing it's an issue with the OS.

Grumpy2

I did read somewhere (think it was on the intel site) that it is a problem with the Intel Graphics Driver firmware. There was a beta fix on the Intel site but I did not download it. I generally steer clear of beta software/firmware. Perhaps someone more adventurous than me would like to check it out.

Haldi

hum, either i'm blind or i do not have this.

Anyone could record a video of this in a dark environement?

Grumpy2

I know have four white flashes. One before the Surface Logo and three after. This is getting worse. If any moron from Microsoft/Intel is reading this then please pull your fingers out and fix the problem. I am convinced these people at Microsoft are nothing more than a bunch of incompetent fools. I understand the administrator of this site -JNRoach is either an employee or ex employee of Microsoft. Perhaps Mr Roach you can take this up with Microsoft?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I know have four white flashes. One before the Surface Logo and three after. This is getting worse. If any moron from Microsoft/Intel is reading this then please pull your fingers out and fix the problem. I am convinced these people at Microsoft are nothing more than a bunch of incompetent fools. I understand the administrator of this site -JNRoach is either an employee or ex employee of Microsoft. Perhaps Mr Roach you can take this up with Microsoft?
I'm neither....I am a Surface MVP and TabletPC user for the past 14 years. Have you opened a support ticket or posted in the Official Surface Forum?

Telstar1948

One thing I know for sure: prior to the May update I had no white flashes when booting up AND my i5 SP3 seldom heated up much and the fan seldom spun up. Since the May update, I have the white-flash syndrome AND my SP3 heats up fairly regularly and the fan spins up regularly. My use of the device hasn't changed, and I'm using the same software then as now. Something in the May update did something I do not like - white flashes I don't mind, but the off-and-on heat/fan thing is something brought about by the May update, and I'm not pleased by that.