What's new

Who's getting one?

crezam

14" won't necessarily mean you'll get line wrapping. It's more a function of resolution. That said if MS can increase the screen to 14" by reducing the bezel and keeping the size increase to a minimum, then I'll have a hard time holding onto my money!

But I'm skeptical of a fanless solution. I run my SP3 pretty hard and I feel better knowing the fan is doing its best to keep it cool. I'd be afraid that without a fan, throttling will become an even bigger issue than it was with the SP3.
I agree with you 100%. I meant that if they go the 14 inches route it might come with an increase in resolution. I think they will want to compete hard with the 2732-by-2048 of the iPad Pro.
By the way, I spoke to a guy from the Microsoft Store today doing some research about trade in (just in case ;) ). He said that right now there is nothing but a recycling buyback, but when the SP4 comes out most likely there will be a limited time trade in for SP3s that is 'generous'. He said when SP3 came out it lasted 1 week and he remembers it was 'generous' but didn't give me details. It would be interesting if anyone knows more about it to post here. That might help us out a little bit if we bite for the SP4 ....

mtalinm

why would they do a 14" version if the current form factor will be redone to have a 13" bezel-free screen? or maybe it will be a 15" with a truly lappable keyboard dock in which case sign me up!

Thurrott tweets: "Potential rumor on the new hardware: 14-inch Surface 2-in-1 with Retina-class screen, dual GPUs, keyboard base with ports. Is it real? Hm."

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
why would they do a 14" version if the current form factor will be redone to have a 13" bezel-free screen? or maybe it will be a 15" with a truly lappable keyboard dock in which case sign me up!

Thurrott tweets: "Potential rumor on the new hardware: 14-inch Surface 2-in-1 with Retina-class screen, dual GPUs, keyboard base with ports. Is it real? Hm."

Because the bezel free idea is nothing but a rumour like everything else. Sure it would make little sense of the rumour is true, and if it is t true, then it makes plenty of sense. You speak of this rumour as if it somehow proven.

Anyone else getting excited for Tuesday? (i think its Tuesday)

Kif

I just don't see that extending the size of the current form factor is a good idea. It's already an awkwardly large tablet to hold. I can see a larger more traditional laptop or convertible design. But a 14" tablet design, no thank you.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

I'm a developer and I really think 14 inch would make a difference. It's still not terribly big, but it gives you some valuable extra horizontal space so your lines of code don't get wrapped. It would be interesting to see if they keep the 3:2 aspect ratio. The idea that it resembles a piece of paper is the genius of it IMO. Using it it in portrait mode for notes is perfect the way it is today.
The other important thing would be if it comes fanless with Skylake CPU. No more overheating or noise, and not worrying about battery life. I stream a lot to my Wireless Display Adaptor and that drains my battery. As a matter of fact, I'm going to research if there is anything I can do because since I got Windows 10 I have noticed the battery doesn't last that long. If someone knows please I would really appreciate some clues...
In summary: if 14 inch + Skylake + fan-less, its a go for me.

Interesting yeah, the same size as a piece of paper... never thought of that! Could be good I suppose, though still a little too big for me I think. Then again I never owned a laptop, so I'm not used to that kind of configuration.

Regarding the Wireless Display Adapter, can I ask what you stream to it? I picked one up last week and to be honest I've found it rather useless. I'd like to be able to watch the live event tomorrow on my TV... we shall have to see how it performs!

PS: Being quite new to Miracast devices, can you tell me, does it transmit sound as well? Otherwise it's going to be a big fail for me unless I purchase another Bluetooth adapter :confused:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting yeah, the same size as a piece of paper... never thought of that! Could be good I suppose, though still a little too big for me I think. Then again I never owned a laptop, so I'm not used to that kind of configuration.

Regarding the Wireless Display Adapter, can I ask what you stream to it? I picked one up last week and to be honest I've found it rather useless. I'd like to be able to watch the live event tomorrow on my TV... we shall have to see how it performs!

PS: Being quite new to Miracast devices, can you tell me, does it transmit sound as well? Otherwise it's going to be a big fail for me unless I purchase another Bluetooth adapter :confused:
Performance should be good if your primary WiFi connection is on 5GHz....

crezam

Think of the Wireless Display Adapter just as the same thing you would get by having a wired monitor (it includes audio in the stream - you dont need to purchase anything else). You use the normal Windows settings to either extend, mirror or just use the second monitor. I typically sit in my couch and have my coding environment (IDE) open in my Surface screen while I either have video tutorials or browsers open in my living room 55 inch TV.
For entertainment purposes a Google Chrome (they released a new one last week) is good enough. It has apps such as Netflix and it connects to your home router to fetch data, so it doesnt drain your devices batteries. You control it through mobile apps or the Chrome browser add ons.
In the other hand, the Miracast devices do a P2P Wifi connection to your device, it doesnt even need a router. Hence, the battery in the Surface suffers because it is constantly keeping the Wifi connectivity to the adapter. It basically makes up for a HDMI cable not being there, there are no apps or anything like that that could be installed to the adapter.
My experience with the Microsoft adapter has been excellent. No noticeable lags or quality loss. I highly recommend it to anyone that is used to working dual screen and wants to be moving around the house without being constrained to a docking station. If you only want to watch online content on the TV and your TV doesnt have built in apps, get a Chromecast, its only $35 in the US.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You've been holding your tongue for a long time now. :)
images (2).jpg

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Think of the Wireless Display Adapter just as the same thing you would get by having a wired monitor (it includes audio in the stream - you dont need to purchase anything else). You use the normal Windows settings to either extend, mirror or just use the second monitor. I typically sit in my couch and have my coding environment (IDE) open in my Surface screen while I either have video tutorials or browsers open in my living room 55 inch TV.
For entertainment purposes a Google Chrome (they released a new one last week) is good enough. It has apps such as Netflix and it connects to your home router to fetch data, so it doesnt drain your devices batteries. You control it through mobile apps or the Chrome browser add ons.
In the other hand, the Miracast devices do a P2P Wifi connection to your device, it doesnt even need a router. Hence, the battery in the Surface suffers because it is constantly keeping the Wifi connectivity to the adapter. It basically makes up for a HDMI cable not being there, there are no apps or anything like that that could be installed to the adapter.
My experience with the Microsoft adapter has been excellent. No noticeable lags or quality loss. I highly recommend it to anyone that is used to working dual screen and wants to be moving around the house without being constrained to a docking station. If you only want to watch online content on the TV and your TV doesnt have built in apps, get a Chromecast, its only $35 in the US.

The requirement for a router was the sole reason I said no to the chromecast dongle.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, watched the whole event. I'll be getting a phone, but the sp4 was totally underwhelming. Hasn't given me even an itch to upgrade from the 3. Nothing exciting whatsoever. Think I'll be waiting for the surface book reviews.

This copying Apple and stupid buzzwords is just pathetic though.