What's new

Who's getting one?

CrippsCorner

Finally it's time for me to upgrade from my original Surface Pro, and this device seems just the ticket :)

Shame the UK only gets the one colour, and will have to wait a little longer for release... also the price is pretty horrendous, so I suppose I'll be sticking with the i5/4Gb/128 setup! Still, it's seen me well so far.

I'll be upgrading to Pro straight away and getting Chrome on there; I wonder if this'll hamper the 14.5 hour battery life :confused:

BubbaUK

For me, Windows 10S is a deterrent, not an attraction, no matter how good or otherwise the hardware is.

Heck, I won't even be able to run Microsoft's own Visual Studio on it, not being a Windows Store product.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
upgrading to Pro straight away and getting Chrome on there; I wonder if this'll hamper the 14.5 hour battery life :confused:
I'd think it would but have no idea how much. maybe Anandtech will do a comparison for us with full suite of benchmarks to show the speed and battery differences between S and Pro.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
For me, Windows 10S is a deterrent, not an attraction, no matter how good or otherwise the hardware is.

Heck, I won't even be able to run Microsoft's own Visual Studio on it, not being a Windows Store product.
Microsoft REALLY needs to get their own stuff implemented on UWP and bring UWP into parity with Win32. "Lead, follow or get out of the way" really only has two options for Microsoft. Lead or go to hell.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member

The devices can be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro for free until 12/31/17 and after that it will be an additional $49. So that is a non-issue overall.

Microsoft REALLY needs to get their own stuff implemented on UWP and bring UWP into parity with Win32. "Lead, follow or get out of the way" really only has two options for Microsoft. Lead or go to hell.

Windows 10S is able to run Win32 Applications that have been modified under the Centennial Bridge that allows them to run in a Containerized Environment (there is 0 performance hit). Apps that run this way includes the upcoming rev O365 Personal, Adobe Photoshop, Evernote and quite a few others.

Running Win32 Apps this way will prevent code-rot and TSRs from hindering performance and battery life. Also they are more secure as they won't have access to the OS and the updates are more seamless.

BubbaUK

The devices can be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro for free until 12/31/17 and after that it will be an additional $49. So that is a non-issue overall.

So I buy now, upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free, the machine breaks down in January, they send me a replacement.... then what? Am I stuck on 10S until I pay $49? If that machine breaks, will that be another $49? Sounds like a "non-issue" that could result in a lot of time & hassle to resolve.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
So I buy now, upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free, the machine breaks down in January, they send me a replacement.... then what? Am I stuck on 10S until I pay $49? If that machine breaks, will that be another $49? Sounds like a "non-issue" that could result in a lot of time & hassle to resolve.
Since it is from the store - using the same credentials it should allow the upgrade assuming the other is deactivated....

BubbaUK

Since it is from the store - using the same credentials it should allow the upgrade assuming the other is deactivated....
Ummm, yeah :)
I remain thoroughly unconvinced, I don't think it's for me. I'll wait for the SPro5.

I like the look of the new Touch Arc though.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
We aren't the target - MJF is though :)
Yes this will be perfect for her poor lapability lap. ;)

Well except that without any rubber bumps or strips on the bottom the down angle created by her ultra short legs will still create a slippery slope for the Surface Laptop to slide down like a toboggan on a snowy mountain side. :) she needs a lap upgrade... anyone have a nicely designed cobalt blue stool?

Heavily debating it. I want a sleek looking laptop for my consultancy business and I need to replace my bulky 2012 MacBook Pro.

HOWEVER... why not just get the Surface Pro 4? Seems just as good and it's at a discount right now...