What's new

Who's getting one?

JMac

I now have my Pro pre-ordered :)

At least the UK gets the differently coloured keyboards! So I have a burgundy one coming... nice to get a change away from black. Quidco (cashback) made my order come in just under a grand, thankfully.

Kind of built myself up to wanting the Laptop, but I guess there are some advantages with the Pro such as being fanless (and slightly faster i5)

What is this forum doing about a sub-section for the new model? It can't go under the current 'Surface Pro' surely (unless you put all the Pros together which I personally think would be a good idea, this place is becoming a little fragmented - or even just 'current Pro' and 'previous Pros')

Congrats on the purchase! I've also ordered the burgundy one. Agree with your observation about the new Surface Pro. In comparison to the original like we have, it would be a really nice upgrade. Mine is mostly relegated to browsing the web and inking in OneNote. I need a new laptop to replace my older HP.

Maybe when the Surface Pro w/LTE comes out later this year I'll be tempted.....LOL

JMac

Surface Laptop delivered!

Between the color (burgundy), weight & balance, it really is a very nice piece of hardware. Got some obvious set-up to do later today. Planning on putting it through its paces based on my normal usage over the next several days to see if this is going to be a keeper. I'll post some observations for anyone that may be interested.

convergent

Surface Laptop delivered!

Between the color (burgundy), weight & balance, it really is a very nice piece of hardware. Got some obvious set-up to do later today. Planning on putting it through its paces based on my normal usage over the next several days to see if this is going to be a keeper. I'll post some observations for anyone that may be interested.

Nice... keep us posted on the progress.

Dalma

Mind shipped 6 days ago and for the past 4 days has been held at Canadian Customs waiting for Microsoft Canada to send the proper paperwork. I'm choked.

upload_2017-6-19_16-15-13.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-19_16-15-3.png
    upload_2017-6-19_16-15-3.png
    6 KB · Views: 561

convergent

No USB type C, no purchase.

Easy decision.

I won't buy the new Surface Pro for the same reason.

Interesting... if the Surface Pro had come with only USB-C like the Macs, I'd need a dongle for every single device I use with it. So what do you use that requires USB-C, or do you just enjoy using dongles?

bradhaak

My phone has USB-C. My tablet has USB-C. My notebook computer has USB-C. My work computer (MacBook Pro) has USB-C. My desktop computer has one USB-C port. Even my Chromebook has USB-C. I have cables for external drives and monitors. My network is completely wireless.

I can swap peripherals and chargers between all these devices. Yes, I can charge a PC with a Mac charger and vice versa. As a test, I even charged my phone with a laptop charger and it worked fine.

Evidently, everybody except Microsoft can get this to work in a compatible manner.

convergent

My phone has USB-C. My tablet has USB-C. My notebook computer has USB-C. My work computer (MacBook Pro) has USB-C. My desktop computer has one USB-C port. Even my Chromebook has USB-C. I have cables for external drives and monitors. My network is completely wireless.

I can swap peripherals and chargers between all these devices. Yes, I can charge a PC with a Mac charger and vice versa. As a test, I even charged my phone with a laptop charger and it worked fine.

Evidently, everybody except Microsoft can get this to work in a compatible manner.

Just because you've been lucky doesn't mean that you will continue to be. This is a widespread problem that you have apparently not noticed:

Finding Compatible USB-C Accessories is a Total Crapshoot
USB-C compatibility problems are the worst! | Pocketnow
Total Nightmare: USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 - Stephen Foskett, Pack Rat
Laptops are getting destroyed by cheap USB-C cables

bradhaak

It doesn't have to ONLY have USB-C. The current Dell XPS 13 has both type C and type A. But let's face it, type A is now a legacy port. Producing a new laptop with only legacy ports is a lousy strategy.

BTW - twenty years ago, I was one of the system guys fighting to make the USB 1.x spec work and all of the experts of the time were saying the same things, then, that they are now. Give it a little time and the problems will settle out and be solved. Your computer with modern features will serve longer than the restricted legacy box that ignores the future.

Just my opinion, but an opinion that has been borne out by many similar experiences over the almost forty years that I have been using PCs (yeah, I'm that old and my first computer required soldering). New technology always has a settling period, but once it works you don't want the old stuff. And unlike the old days, when the firmware was not updateable, your current hardware will probably take advantage of the fixes and stabilization.

So I will stick by my earlier statement and even make it stronger. Today, anyone who buys a computer that does not have at least one USB-C 3.1 port will regret that decision within the next couple of years. And note, I did not ever, anywhere, say that it had to ONLY have USB-C.

convergent

It doesn't have to ONLY have USB-C. The current Dell XPS 13 has both type C and type A. But let's face it, type A is now a legacy port. Producing a new laptop with only legacy ports is a lousy strategy.

BTW - twenty years ago, I was one of the system guys fighting to make the USB 1.x spec work and all of the experts of the time were saying the same things, then, that they are now. Give it a little time and the problems will settle out and be solved. Your computer with modern features will serve longer than the restricted legacy box that ignores the future.

Just my opinion, but an opinion that has been borne out by many similar experiences over the almost forty years that I have been using PCs (yeah, I'm that old and my first computer required soldering). New technology always has a settling period, but once it works you don't want the old stuff. And unlike the old days, when the firmware was not updateable, your current hardware will probably take advantage of the fixes and stabilization.

So I will stick by my earlier statement and even make it stronger. Today, anyone who buys a computer that does not have at least one USB-C 3.1 port will regret that decision within the next couple of years. And note, I did not ever, anywhere, say that it had to ONLY have USB-C.

I've been in the tech industry for nearly 40 years too, and I don't believe I'll regret my decision in a couple of years. I bought into Thunderbolt via Apple and that proved out to be a waste. It never really got adopted. A standard adapter that doesn't have a standard spec is not a standard. Its a recipe for problems.

I will not be surprised if something else comes along before USB-C ever really becomes as prolific as USB-A is now. You really can't predict what is going to be the situation in 3 years, and that is my horizon for buying tech. I am confident I will not be constrained on what I can do with my nSP for the next 3 years due to the lack of a USB-C port. I would not choose to not buy something if it had USB-C, but I'm also not going to decide not to buy something that doesn't have it. You could say at this point USB-C is dead to me... I could care less because I don't need it for anything.

Its good that we have choices either way.