What's new

Why a Microsoft Surface?

Deckyon

Yep, title says it all. This is just me wanting to share info and see what others think about their decision to buy the Microsoft Surface. I dont work for anyone of import when it comes to consumer electronics. I am a network engineer for an international corporation.

1. Why did you buy a Microsoft Surface tablet?
2. Why did you buy the version you bought?
3. Are you using it as a main PC or a secondary PC?
4. Would you buy it again?
5. Would you recommend your Surface to someone looking for a computer?
6. Are you using it in a way you never expected? What is that way?

For myself:
1. I bought it on a whim, really. I wanted something new to play with and something that was capable of playing some games while on the road without carrying my personal laptop along with a business laptop.
2. Pro 2, 256 GB has the 8 GB RAM. I wanted to be as future proof as I could afford when I bought it.
3. It is a secondary PC. My MBP 17" is my main PC, and my main consumption device is my iPad.
4. I am about 90% sure I would buy it again, if I had to make the same decision.
5. I would, if I thought it would fit a specific need. I don't think it is the right machine for everyone, but it can be useful to a lot of people. It would not be the first machine I would recommend for my parents, but for my sister who is working for a real estate company and has to visit multiple listings every day, it would be near perfect.
6. Yes. It is now a 2nd screen for shooting photography and cinematography. It is nice not to have to that the full computer rig out just to capture images on the fly. And being able to trigger the camera in Lightroom and have the results near instant, makes re-shots quick and painless.

Please keep the "my Surface doesnt work" comments out of this thread please, there are plenty of those threads out there already.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'll Play....

Answer: I bought the original RT to test and review it, it quickly became my mobile solution replacing a Samsung 700T. Replaced a year later with both a Surface 2 64GB and Pro 2 8/256

Answer: Surface 2 is my personal tablet, but I use it for work, It is my Lync Conference Station or my I need to go to a meeting tablet, The Pro 2 is my primary work machine and if I'm doing heavy inking.

Answer: Both are Primary, my Lumia 1520 is my companion device

Answer: Yes, in heartbeat, will probably get the Surface MINI as well

Answer: Yes, and already have done this on numerous times

Answer: I've used Windows Tablets since 2001, these are the best. I actually like the Surface 2 more than the Pro 2. I use them in similar ways for work, entertainment and managing my home. I use Miracast daily. These are the best tablets I've used.

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

Yep, title says it all. This is just me wanting to share info and see what others think about their decision to buy the Microsoft Surface. I dont work for anyone of import when it comes to consumer electronics. I am a network engineer for an international corporation.

Please keep the "my Surface doesnt work" comments out of this thread please, there are plenty of those threads out there already.

In my case:

1. I needed a very light weight device which could do both basic computer/ laptop functions AND serve as a tablet.
2. Following through from #1, the Surface RT seemed to be the best available option. Further, I found that aside from rare occasions, I don't really use legacy apps and I do like the concept of the RT platform.
3. When I am outside, the Surface 2 is my main PC. When I am at home, it is my secondary device.
4. Yes, I would - one specific point in this context: I really want the Surface 3 to have a pen/ inking capability like the Pro.
5. Yes, I would and I have in the past.
6. In part yes. I was not sure I would want to use it to view media (movies etc.). But on a recent overseas trip, I found myself doing so and liking it. Of course, I would prefer a much more robust media player than what is on offer. But that, I expect, is only a question of having the patience.

daniielrp

Originally had a RT, which was great but hardware was too slow. I was looking to replace my laptop, so sold both the RT and my laptop and used the cash to get the Pro 2, which does the job of both.

128GB is more than enough, it is never going to have movies or lots of media taking up space, and I have a 64GB for anything like that. Also 4GB is plenty for my needs, never since having it have I never wished I had 8GB.

Kind of both, it is secondary at home to my iMac, which is used for everything really. But I have it with me at work half the day where it is used for a lot of the work.

Yes

Depends, there are a lot of (cheaper) comparable devices out there that would do an adequate job, I feel the surface is quite a specific device, for people who need not only a tablet, but a reliable, very well built one.

Yes, although I use the touch screen waaaay less than I thought I would.

kundas1

I'll play also

answering questions 1,2,3,4 at the same time lol

I bought the RT 1 because I wanted the windows environment so I can seamlessly intergrade my tablet into my main computers at home via the "homegroup" and share all my music/document/movies/ect ect which all my other tablets weren't able to do, I either had to download an app to do it (which didn't do it well) or couldn't do it on other tablets at all. the RT worked perfectly for me and it functioned 90% like a computer so I was ecstatic with it's function and capabilities. afterwich I was so happy and impressed I sold the RT1 for almost the same price I purchased it and bought the S2 as soon as it came out and have been happy with it ever since, honestly I thought about buying the S2 pro but never had the justification to do so.

A #5) I would def and do recommend the Surface but not as a computer but as a companion device

A #6) def yes! I am using it as a gaming system connected to my 55" tv in the living room while using a wireless controller and using it as a movie system and entertainment device using the wireless keyboard adapter which I could never do on all my other tablet devices!

jimkraz

I'll play also

From the day I saw it before it became available I wanted a Surface RT, I bought one, just because I wanted it.
I bought the Surface RT, then I got a Surface Pro, it replaced my desktop, my granddaughter uses that, love em both.
Yes I am using Surface Pro as main machine with a 23" monitor, though don't often use the monitor.
Some day, YES, I will buy another, maybe the Surface 3, maybe the smaller one.
I have many times recommended the Surface.
I never expected to go back to a smaller screen, but I find the Surface Pro with its resolution and sharpness not to bad on the old eyes.

Jim

CrippsCorner

Ever since my first computer in 1997 I've replaced them every 4 years... so last year that time had come around again! I wanted something portable this time (never even owned a laptop before) as I was going on more holidays and getting sent on training courses from work etc. When I found out Microsoft was making its own hardware I knew straight away it was going to be the one that I'd buy.

Although I considered the RT, I thought I'd rather have the back up of knowing I can install whatever I want. Just in case there was something essential I needed in future... I went for the top specification available at the time, i.e. 128Gb SSD & 4Gb RAM.

Absolutely my main computer. My old desktop is now in a spare room and hardly ever gets turned up... my Surface has completely taken over every task!

Definitely. I won't be buying another until this one is also 4 years old, but I'm hoping they will still be around so I can pick up a Surface Pro 5 or whatever :)

As a main desktop replacement, yes. For a pure tablet experience? Probably not... most people would be happier with an iPad. In the case of the non Pro Surface 2, I'd always point out the advantages though! USB/full Office/kickstand etc.

Not really but I am surprised at how much I've changed around it. For instance using bluetooth mice and audio receivers... it's really cleaned my room up and I'm kinda obsessed with making everything minimalistic now. It just looks so damn smart.

Wayne Orwig

The Surface Pro runs the tons of software that I have collected over the years. It is much more portable than the laptops I had been carrying. Runs my programs without compromise. Everything else required trimmed down apps with compromised features, or they simply wouldn't even work.

Surface Pro. See #1.

Secondary.

Yes, well the Pro 2 now, for the longer battery life.

I usually don't unless they fit in my category, and few do. There are cheaper alternatives that fit most peoples needs.

Not really. It meets my expectations as I assumed it would, which is why I bought it.

Nuspieds

Because after years of using a 17" ThinkPad laptop as my main PC, I wanted to replace the old, heavy beast with a lighter, more mobile PC for my travels, running Windows 8. I specifically held out for the Surface Pro 1 because I wanted a PC in tablet form; I was definitely not interested in buying another laptop or ultrabook.

Because I needed a PC to replace my PC; hence, only the Pro version was of interest to me.

SP2 is my main; SP1 is my secondary.

Let's just say that I look forward to SP3 is my main; SP2 is my secondary. :)

As I would do for any device, yes, as long as I felt it suited their needs.

Yes, watching TV shows and movies recorded on my DVR and transferred to my SP2. The form factor definitely has a lot to do with this; it is so easy to pull it out of my laptop bag on a flight and start watching my content.

BillJ

My turn....

I bought the original Surface RT because I wanted a touch sensitive, small computer that would do everything I needed for teaching and research. Having a full Office suite in a tablet was awesome. When the Surface Pro was available, I then realized that I could make use of the inking and other legacy programs that I was running on my desktop.

See above. I have owned all of the Surface versions, and I presently use an SP2 8/256. I also use all of my Surfaces for reading, watching videos, all the usual "consumption" stuff

The Surface Pro 2 is now my main PC. I have no need for my desktop anymore.

In a heartbeat. Can't wait for lighter, faster, longer-lasting models with even better connectivity

I would and I do, frequently. My colleagues are (predictably) all caught up in the Apple ecosystem. I generally get grunts of disapproval when I say that I have found the Surface to be one of the best devices I have ever used for productivity

I thought I would keep using my desktop for PhotoShop. On a whim one day, I tried loading the program on the SP2, and found that I could do everything I wanted on that device. The Wacom-style pen input for photo editing is like painting a picture; marvelous!

I have worked through many of the technical problems over the past 2 years (wi-fi connectivity lost, keyboards not working, erratic waking from sleep, etc.) but now I feel that this little computer can do anything I ask of it, and is now solidly reliable. I did have to work with MS customer care on one occasion and exchange a SP2 and a type keyboard at one point, and my experience with the customer service was excellent.

TunaSurface

- Ï bought it because I wanted a new pc for internet use and editing. Great choice.

- I bought this version mainly because it was on sale.

- Use it as a main pc.

- Next version, maybe. If they fix the problems like thickness and operating temperature.

- No i wouldn't recommend this. For someone who's looking for a tablet, maybe.

- No, not really. Played some games I though i'd never play.

Last edited:

jbs-horn

At first it was mainly curiosity. I have quite a fleet of computer-like devices (MacBook Pro, 2 chromebooks, iPad issued by my company, plus a kindle paperwhite reader and an iPhone. I got a Surface 2 and type cover, didn't like it, returned it, started using the iPad again and realized that I preferred actually doing stuff on the Surface. So I got another one. I also have a Lenovo Miix 2 8 inch tablet that I don't use very much.

The Surface 2 was less expensive, had Office built in, and got far better battery life than the Surface Pro. Windows RT suffices for most of what I do, and when I need to do something I can't do on RT, I remote into my office computer (running 8.1 Pro).

Secondary, but except for QuickBooks, I could do almost everything on the Surface 2 that I do on my desktop.

I did buy it again.

It depends on what they need or want to do with it. The chromebook forums are full of complaints from people who bought chromebooks because they were cheap without researching what they really were. They were surprised that you couldn't install Office or their favorite game on it. Some of the same considerations would drive this decision. Do they want to watch MLB.TV? Get something faster. Do they want to play games? Get an iPad. Do they want a decent tablet that can do real work and be useful in a corporate environment? The Surface 2 is a good option. Do they need long battery life? The Surface 2 is a good option. Do they need to use a non-standard proprietary VPN (not pptp or openvpn)? Get the Surface Pro. BTW, the iPad is a really poor productivity device, though it is better with Office being available.

No. I pretty much knew what to expect.