What's new

Why a Microsoft Surface?

guymalloc

Why a surface pro?

1. Why did you buy a Microsoft Surface tablet?
2. Why did you buy the version you bought?
3. Are you using it as a main PC or a secondary PC?
4. Would you buy it again?
5. Would you recommend your Surface to someone looking for a computer?
6. Are you using it in a way you never expected? What is that way?

1: I bought a surface pro because the RT version won't run full windows software, and I've spent too much time and money on software, to be stuck with just 'apps'.
Also, I've bought computers as technology has advanced. Started with a Timex/Sinclair 1000 in 1981, learned basic and z80 assembly on that one. Got a Commodore 128 in 1985, also ran cpm3, had 2 versions of commodore basic, and I accumulated 6 versions of basic for cpm3. Also learned 6502 assembly on the commodore, to tweak games I got for it. First PC I bought had Win 95c on it, proceeded to aquire dos from version 1 to 7.1, and windows from version 1 to now 8.1 on the surface pro. Also have Android tablets to play with. Altogether about 15 PC's, five of which I still use at least weekly. The rest are cmos batteryless, and stored for future use or recycling, if I can part with them. The only advance I skipped was the 'Apple' rush, os was too confining for me, and didn't care for the hardware.

2: I got the Surface Pro 1 because it was on sale for $599 for the 128gb version, and read too many complaints about the Pro 2, which had just came out.

3: Right now, it's secondary, once I have complete confidence in it, I will retire my Vista laptop, which is my primary workstation at the moment.

4: Yes I would buy it again.

5: Yes I would recommend it, but not for the faint of heart, original windows 8 was quite a challenge.

6: No, not anything unusual or different. I mostly use my PC's for music, video, and photo work, nothing unusual on the Surface.

jrioux

[/B]

1. To replace my iPad 2 for email, word processing and simple spreadsheets while out of the office.
2. The original RT with the cheap keyboard.
3. Secondary PC.
4. Definitely!
5. Definitely! (To clarify as a basic laptop, NOT as their main computer and not as a tablet)
6. Not really.

Last edited:

Magic

They're on offer with an additional discount as XP got cut off from life support. I wanted to try Windows 8 on a tablet to see if it makes any more sense than the horrid desktop experience, price was too good to resist.

Want to run full Windows software. RT version wasn't on offer.

Secondary. MacBook Pro 15" is still my main PC, also have a gaming rig which runs Windows 7.

Yes.

Yes. Couple of my work colleagues have also ordered them this week.

Bought it purely to use as a tablet, turns out it's also a very capable small format laptop when used with the touch cover.

ibenzawla

I can't remember the last time I used my notebook and I think that says a lot. The RT is a very versatile tablet that gets things done in a fast and hassle free way. Minimal wait time, lightweight and portable, less charging time and longer battery life, and now an 8.1 Update 1 to respond to some of my concerns. All that and more makes it hard for me to complain about its mediocre speaker volume and the fact that it doesn't let you play some media on the background in sleep mode. Others may rightly complain about its lower app count compared to the competition but to me its not enough to dissuade me from getting this tablet. Can I recommend it to a friend? Depends on the friend. Serious minded friends most definitely. To those good friends that spend most of their time on Instagram or Facebook I would say get something else.

macmee

The idea of a full OS on a tablet has always excited me, I buy many tablets. I already have an Android tablet (Nexus 7), iOS tablet (iPad 3), webOS tablet (HP Touchpad) and BlackBerry tablet (PlayBook).

I wanted 256GB of storage.

Secondary.

Nope. I'd buy a Lenovo or an ASUS Transformer.

God no.

For notes in my lectures, the stylus is a very nice feature, as is OneNote.

I was intrigued by Windows RT and the sleekness of the Surface RT (vs. the Pro). I have a few iPads, Android tablets, and OSX and Windows notebooks, and a Windows RT device seemed to offer something different from what I already owned.

When the tech press trashed and bashed the Surface RT I knew that Microsoft would firesale them. When that came to pass (32GB Surface RT w/Touch Cover for $199) I knew it was time to jump in. I subsequently purchased a TypeCover2 to improve the content creation experience. After a few months of use, the performance of the RT was a main impediment to me using it more, so I traded the RT in for a Surface 2. Performance is no longer an issue.

Neither. I'm using my Surface 2 as a secondary tablet/netbook (behind my iPad 4). My iMac and Lenovo notebook are my primary and secondary PCs.

No. The chronic lack of software for the RT continues to be an irritation in my ownership of the Surface 2. After Microsoft's recent //build/ developer's conference I am now convinced that Windows RT is going to be sunsetted. I have reason to believe that Microsoft will provide only minimal support until Mainstream Support End Date of April 11, 2017 which they've committed to. I would be greatly and pleasantly surprised to see Microsoft produce a Windows RT-based Surface 3. (I think if there is a Surface 3, it will be Atom-based running full Windows 8.1)

Yes, with reservations. If someone is looking for a netbook and has limited expectations of use cases (using MS Office, web browsing, email) and can get it for a good price, then I could recommend it.

Yes. The capabilities of the Surface 2 are quite excellent. Extended desktop, microSD, full USB support, full printer support, bluetooth device support, etc. are on par with what I expect of a full-blown desktop/notebook. The Surface 2 makes an excellent presentation device... small enough to show PowerPoint presentations directly on the LCD display in a coffee shop or restaurant... and capable enough to attach a projector or larger display for a full-on presentation workstation.

The hardware is capable of doing far more than any other tablet on the market, but it is crippled by the lack of software. If a half dozen iOS apps had quality Windows RT ports, I could put my iPad 4 out to pasture.

dlacaba

Yep, title says it all. This is just me wanting to share info and see what others think about their decision to buy the Microsoft Surface. I dont work for anyone of import when it comes to consumer electronics. I am a network engineer for an international corporation.

1. Needed a new laptop and I liked the Tablet interface. ALso like to write notes using it.
2. Got it the day it came out.
3. Main PC at home, Secondary at work.
4. No doubt.
5. Depends on the person. iPad's and Androids are more than enough for most people.
6. Yes, Portable gaming/video system.
- in the living room I use the XBox for Netflix, but in the bedroom I use the surface.
- I kept my original XBox around for Emulators but the Pro has replaced that. Much smaller and has better compatibility with most games.

kristalsoldier

I was intrigued by Windows RT and the sleekness of the Surface RT (vs. the Pro). I have a few iPads, Android tablets, and OSX and Windows notebooks, and a Windows RT device seemed to offer something different from what I already owned.

When the tech press trashed and bashed the Surface RT I knew that Microsoft would firesale them. When that came to pass (32GB Surface RT w/Touch Cover for $199) I knew it was time to jump in. I subsequently purchased a TypeCover2 to improve the content creation experience. After a few months of use, the performance of the RT was a main impediment to me using it more, so I traded the RT in for a Surface 2. Performance is no longer an issue.

Neither. I'm using my Surface 2 as a secondary tablet/netbook (behind my iPad 4). My iMac and Lenovo notebook are my primary and secondary PCs.

No. The chronic lack of software for the RT continues to be an irritation in my ownership of the Surface 2. After Microsoft's recent //build/ developer's conference I am now convinced that Windows RT is going to be sunsetted. I have reason to believe that Microsoft will provide only minimal support until Mainstream Support End Date of April 11, 2017 which they've committed to. I would be greatly and pleasantly surprised to see Microsoft produce a Windows RT-based Surface 3. (I think if there is a Surface 3, it will be Atom-based running full Windows 8.1)

Yes, with reservations. If someone is looking for a netbook and has limited expectations of use cases (using MS Office, web browsing, email) and can get it for a good price, then I could recommend it.

Yes. The capabilities of the Surface 2 are quite excellent. Extended desktop, microSD, full USB support, full printer support, bluetooth device support, etc. are on par with what I expect of a full-blown desktop/notebook. The Surface 2 makes an excellent presentation device... small enough to show PowerPoint presentations directly on the LCD display in a coffee shop or restaurant... and capable enough to attach a projector or larger display for a full-on presentation workstation.

The hardware is capable of doing far more than any other tablet on the market, but it is crippled by the lack of software. If a half dozen iOS apps had quality Windows RT ports, I could put my iPad 4 out to pasture.

Just out of curiosity, could you list them? Just an indicative list of 6 or so apps? Thanks.

fonzman78

I've been a long time user of MS laptop/tablet PC's. For my job, Sales Engineer, I really liked that I could use the stylus while on a webex to do a remote whiteboard session. I had the Toshiba M200 and an HP TX1000 series before. While the concept was good, they flipped around and became a 'tablet' that was heavy. Plus the PC laptop/tablets weren't fully baked yet. My search for the 'perfect' tablet eluded me and I gave up on Windows PC tablets. Instead I tried iPads and Android tablets. The iPad was nice but it didn't fulfill my needs as a Sales Engineer. It was good for web browsing and games but I still had to lug around my PC to do actual work. The Samsung Note 10.1 with stylus was almost perfect. But the lack of MS Office integration was a hindrance and I still needed to lug around my PC to work. Then, MS announced the Surface and I watched the video. Once I saw the form factor and the fact that it was a real computer, I knew right away that it would be the 'perfect' tablet PC. The wait between the announcement video and the release of the SPro was excruciating. I could hardly wait. Then, of course, they released the RT first. ARGHHH!!! But finally Day 1 came for SPro and I was in 'perfect' tablet heaven.

I needed a laptop replacement that was also a PC. So I had to go with the SPro. However, I also have a Surface RT.

No, I never saw the Surface as a main PC replacement. To me, it would always be a complement to my desktop. At home, I have a gaming rig that I also use for work. This is my main PC. But, the SPro2 is always with me since it is portable.

Absolutely!!! I'm waiting for the SPro3 to come out.

I definitely would. As most of you know, I am a huge advocate for the Surface and I constantly enjoy helping others see how the Surface products are better (in my opinion) than other tablets. I have already converted 5 of my co-workers. I also realize that the Surface is not for everyone. To each his own.

Not really. The SPro2 does exactly what I need it to do. I knew going in that it wouldn't be my main PC nor would it replace my gaming rig. My SPro2 is my go to device when I am away from home office. It is the only device besides my cell phone that I take on road trips.

oion

Yep, title says it all. This is just me wanting to share info and see what others think about their decision to buy the Microsoft Surface. I dont work for anyone of import when it comes to consumer electronics. I am a network engineer for an international corporation.

1. I've owned two Japanese subnotebooks because I'm all about ultraportability, and U.S.-branded stuff was not it. The Surface RT and S2 have filled my particular needs perfectly. Like I said in my more detailed review (sig), I had been waiting for a device like the Surface for over a decade: ~2lbs, very long battery life, primarily for word processing, internet use, and other little things.

2. I bought into Windows RT and for the bundled MS Office. Battery life and low maintenance were primary motivators, as I have a gaming PC for the heavy-duty stuff.

3. Secondary
4. Yes
5. Depends entirely on what they need.
6. I find using the touchscreen very intuitive for all basic functions and found that I can't use a normal laptop without trying to poke the screen. But Windows 8 on a desktop pisses me off. I can't say I've been using my Surface in an unexpected way because I knew exactly what it's capable of and how I wanted to use it when I bought it.

EMINENT

We all know the basic points as to why. I use it as my main device on the go and as a companion at home. The main for me are:

Syncing with MS ecosystem with the promise of universal apps.
Stand.
Absolutely getting another.

I couldn't do another tab without a stand.

compnovo

I had a Windows 7 phone prior to the purchase of my RT so I was already comfortable with the tiled interface. I opted for the RT because I needed a work tablet that would travel well, and it came with the software I need to do my job (primarily Powerpoint, Word, and Excel, and I was a happy camper when they released Outlook for the RT). I've installed a few apps but I'm not really into most of them. I have a few games but the important ones are Netflix, USA Today, and the native weather app.

Last week I went into Best Buy to pick up a Type Cover 2 (huge improvement over the Touch Cover --- why did I wait so long????) and was really tempted to pick up a Surface 2. I resisted the urge because, despite the improved performance and higher resolution screen it just wasn't worth the extra expense. That's how content I am with the RT, it meets all my traveling needs even though it's not the speediest thing out there.

Would I buy one again? Sure, although I wouldn't get a Pro since I don't need a desktop replacement, and I prefer the lighter weight and passive cooling of the RT. However, I would recommend the Pro to anybody who doesn't have another computer to run x86 programs.

Last edited: