What's new

Why does my metro IE save/download files WITHOUT a . separator??

Nuspieds

Yes, of course I can rename is manually and all that jazz, but it definitely deducts from the overall user experience when you select "run" and nothing happens.

To address a few of the questions:

I am using MS sec. essentials, have it on the 'normal' settings.

When I attempt to execute the file (double click on it), I get a dialogue box asking me what do I want to use to open up the file (as windows does not recognize the extension; and rightfully so).
There is definitely something about your environment that is causing that issue. Think about it: Does it make sense that MUI IE--especially after all this time since Windows 8 was first released--that it would not be able to download files with their proper extensions?

So what happens when you try to download a non-Exe file? For example, download the following PDF:

Removed direct download link

Do you get the same issue? If you do not then it more and more is pointing to some sort of security/antivirus setting that is "protecting" you from downloaded Exe files.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

There is definitely something about your environment that is causing that issue. Think about it: Does it make sense that MUI IE--especially after all this time since Windows 8 was first released--that it would not be able to download files with their proper extensions?

So what happens when you try to download a non-Exe file? For example, download the following PDF:

https://wwwimages2.adobe.com/conten...-pdf-to-microsoft-office-word-tutorial_ue.pdf

Do you get the same issue? If you do not then it more and more is pointing to some sort of security/antivirus setting that is "protecting" you from downloaded Exe files.

Yeah, thanks for the suggestion. When I download that file it also fails to include a ".". Therefore, the problem is not only symptomatic to executable files.

I notice a other strange quirks here and there with my metro IE. Is there any way I can just start over with IE? How do I perform a clean uninstall, and will it uninstall both versions? (metro and desktop?)

On a side note, is there any way to access metro IE via the desktop? Where is the metro executable located? Probably in c:\windows\programfiles\windowsapps\internetexplorer?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, thanks for the suggestion. When I download that file it also fails to include a ".". Therefore, the problem is not only symptomatic to executable files.

I notice a other strange quirks here and there with my metro IE. Is there any way I can just start over with IE? How do I perform a clean uninstall, and will it uninstall both versions? (metro and desktop?)

On a side note, is there any way to access metro IE via the desktop? Where is the metro executable located? Probably in c:\windows\programfiles\windowsapps\internetexplorer?
WinRT Applications are not Win32 Applications as they don't have traditional .exe files....

Uninstalling IE in the traditional sense isn't available, but you can turn it off, reboot and turn it back on and that effectively does the same thing....

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/internet-explorer/install-ie#ie=ie-11

annabanana

Microsoft Security Essentials is definitely not the best there is and in AV-Comparatives protection test it's at thru bottom of the list. IMO you could have a malware problem. Any AV software is better than MSE. I recommend you download AVG or Avast - both have free versions, and run a scan.

OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

Yes, I've used them before. I used to swear by AVAST! However, I eventually made the switch to MSE, and never looked back. It has served me well over the years, never had an issue. im sorry I made the "best there is" statement, however, I think an excerpt from howtogeek provides a good summary of my feeling toward MSE...

"
If You’re a Geek, You Can Get By With MSE
Now, if you’re a geek like we are, MSE and Windows Defender are very usable. If you have good security practices and know what you’re doing, you can manage just fine with this lightweight option. But average Windows users don’t always follow proper security practices and should use a strong antivirus that does well in tests — as Microsoft themselves now recommend."

...my feeling exactly. some would argue 3rd party antivirus software is a form of light malware in itself. I don't want any of my machines to be bogged down with heavy background processies. I'm aware of the risks and fully embrace them.

:)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, I've used them before. I used to swear by AVAST! However, I eventually made the switch to MSE, and never looked back. It has served me well over the years, never had an issue. im sorry I made the "best there is" statement, however, I think an excerpt from howtogeek provides a good summary of my feeling toward MSE...

"
If You’re a Geek, You Can Get By With MSE
Now, if you’re a geek like we are, MSE and Windows Defender are very usable. If you have good security practices and know what you’re doing, you can manage just fine with this lightweight option. But average Windows users don’t always follow proper security practices and should use a strong antivirus that does well in tests — as Microsoft themselves now recommend."

...my feeling exactly. some would argue 3rd party antivirus software is a form of light malware in itself. I don't want any of my machines to be bogged down with heavy background processies. I'm aware of the risks and fully embrace them.

:)

Fully agree. My way of thinking is if you need more than MSE then you're doing it wrong :)

Nuspieds

Well, you know your system best, so if you're only experiencing issues in MUI IE then you should definitely try what Jeff suggests. From a distance, though, that is really a weird issue and I'm thinking that other aspects of your system may also have such weird issues, so you might want to think about doing a Refresh.