What's new

Why does the SP3 have so many files?

Aeron15

I've done a windows defender full scan on my sp3 which I've only had for 3 weeks and it scanned over 590,000 files. I've done a full scan on my 3-year old laptop where I keep my music, my pictures and everything and it only had 280,000 files.

OP
A

Aeron15

Well, no. My laptop is using Windows 7. Does Windows 8.1 Pro have thousands of mini-files to make it run?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, no. My laptop is using Windows 7. Does Windows 8.1 Pro have thousands of mini-files to make it run?
The manifest with the description of every file would be interesting.
File # 487,666 Only the devil knows what this does. :)

OP
A

Aeron15

if only windows defender showed what files it was scanning, I wouldn't be so dumbfounded by the sheer amount of files.
@ctitanic,
oh I see. I get it now. It does make sense considering this is a different OS with different applications running and features.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would say that Metro Apps have more files.
Two UIs would tend to increase the file count. Plus .NET frameworks multiplying like rabbits. Not that the number of files should matter.

Although I did a search on my dads computer for pictures since he accidently did something with them, he doesn't know what :) Even after Removing ALL Internet Temporary files there were over 20,000 little bits of web pages mostly all over the place... what a bloody mess.