What's new

Why doesn't MS just include the keyboard with the Surface Pro?

mitchellvii

Ok, we all now know that Microsoft is getting their a**es handed to them on the Surface line to the tune of almost $1 billion large. They blame this on the RT but c'mon, the Surface Pro isn't setting any sales record either. They just dramatically cut the price of the RT and even threw in a free keyboard before that.

So, my question is - why not include a free keyboard with the Surface Pro and move some damned units? From what I have read, MS's cost in that keyboard is like $16. So what's the problem? Seems MS is stuck on stupid here.

* P.S., I know I said I was leaving but I just went through the weekend sales this morning and couldn't believe no one was throwing in a keyboard with the SP. Amazing.

kristalsoldier

Well, that is because MS sucks at marketing and feeling the pulse of the market. Not only should they have designed a very different ad campaign, they should have also should have priced both versions of the Surface lower and had promotions which would have included the keyboards - either as a discount or for free. MS should have used its financial war-chest to lure customers and that would have warranted a full-spectrum campaign. Unfortunately, the marketing outfit within MS sucks - they always have.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Hey, I thought you left.

I missed your sexy eyes.

scary-eyes-dude-274.jpg

Nuspieds

Well, if a device is going to be marketed as a tablet, then surely a keyboard is an optional accessory. Providing a bundling deal, on the other hand, is different and would be acceptable because for those who do want to get the accessory, they could save a couple of bucks rather than by it separately.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

The point is, if someone is buying the Surface Pro they aren't buying it just as a tablet. They want to do real work and that requires a keyboard, so, the keyboard should be included in the price. Pretty obvious to me. Also a 1 year Office 360 license would have been nice as well.

So basically MS got greedy on two of their lowest cost items, the keyboard and software, and killed overall sales. We call the "stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime..."

** I propose that if MS had offered the Surface Pro 128 gb with keyboard and 1 year Office 360 they would still be trying to manufacture enough of them to keep up with demand.

Nuspieds

The point is, if someone is buying the Surface Pro they aren't buying it just as a tablet. They want to do real work and that requires a keyboard, so, the keyboard should be included in the price. Pretty obvious to me.
Not to me.

I admit I use mine as my laptop replacement, but I wouldn't make a blanket statement that everyone else was doing the same. Everybody's use case is different and depending on what application one uses, it is very much possible to use a physical keyboard-less Win 8 tablet device. So, for those folks, why pay for the keyboard?

In addition, there is obvious demand for simple-to-use, user-friendly touch devices. When you start pushing the keyboard as a standard/"required" accessory, then perception changes that it is no longer a simple, easy-to-use touch-friendly device; it will be seen like a laptop.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Not to me.

I admit I use mine as my laptop replacement, but I wouldn't make a blanket statement that everyone else was doing the same. Everybody's use case is different and depending on what application one uses, it is very much possible to use a physical keyboard-less Win 8 tablet device. So, for those folks, why pay for the keyboard?

In addition, there is obvious demand for simple-to-use, user-friendly touch devices. When you start pushing the keyboard as a standard/"required" accessory, then perception changes that it is no longer a simple, easy-to-use touch-friendly device; it will be seen like a laptop.

C'mon, who is going to drop $1000 on a tablet? That's hybrid money and hybrids have keyboards. End if story.

kristalsoldier

Not to me.

I use my RT as a laptop replacement too. In fact, since my laptop died, I have bought - somewhat counter-intuitively given my circumstances - a desktop as a replacement (the first actual desktop that I have ever owned!!!!). The RT does everything - specific to my workflow - that a laptop did. The desktop is where the rest of the stuff takes place which is, in my context, extensive multitasking, which would be impossible to do on the RT given its capabilities and the screen size. Moreover, the desktop has a longevity that the Surface RT does not (I mean this in the sense of expandability of capability, modular replacement/ upgrading of parts etc.).

Nuspieds

C'mon, who is going to drop $1000 on a tablet? That's hybrid money and hybrids have keyboards. End if story.
I did.

So buy a keyboard if you need it. The option is there. There should be a bundle deal, yes, but not mandatory for it to have a physical keyboard at purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

CrippsCorner

I must admit I don't really need the keyboard... as I shall only be making it portable a few times a year. I just thought it looked smart as hell so might as well lol.

It is a damn expensive product though, should be £50 imo.

diannetea

I bought it as a tablet, but I also bought the keyboard, however i use it as a stand mostly and use the touchscreen to type (what I'm doing right now) because it keeps it up when i'm laying down :)

most expensive tablet stand ever