What's new

Why doesn't Surface intuitively use Flash?

NGC

There are many of us that use an Ipad everyday and scream at Apple everyday because we can't play flash video.
The Surface RT for some crazy reason makes it difficult to play flash.
Flash is definitely far from dead.
Is the only solution going back to a laptop?

Sin

Flash is unsecure, so Microsoft is using a whitelist to mitigate the risk. Users can choose to add sites to the whitelist. This keeps most people safer than they would otherwise be. Also starts to push web developers to stop relying on Flash.

J515OP

Super Moderator
There are many of us that use an Ipad everyday and scream at Apple everyday because we can't play flash video.
The Surface RT for some crazy reason makes it difficult to play flash.
Flash is definitely far from dead.
Is the only solution going back to a laptop?

Yes, going back to a traditional PC is the solution for Flash. Flash is not dead but it is dying. The only reason it is still hanging around is because of lazy web developers. Small business and individuals might have an excuse but not large multi million dollar generating websites. As sin said, the developers are being pushed away from it at this point, first by Apple then by Google and now by MS. Even Adobe is no longer supporting mobile Flash on any platform. It is only matter of time until html5 takes over. If you are disappointed not being able to use Flash based sites bug the sites themselves to make the change. This is better than blaming hardware and OSes and trying to constantly find the next thing to make Flash continue to work. Go to the source and tell them you want the change.

JP

OP
N

NGC

Great answers and ideas. I haven't noticed any drop in flash over the last year but maybe this year.

illidanx

Wasn't for me either then I reset my Surface and realized I forgot to back up my whitelist first, lol. Now I got to start over.

there is a different way. You add a registry key that designate a particular domain as "debug domain". Once set, your setting will be there forever. Here is the link to the youtube video explaining how to do so for slingbox.com. The example registry file is in the video description. You can just edit that file for your domain of choice. It's very easy to do.

[video=youtube;AlnPPneeZ0w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AlnPPneeZ0w[/video]