What's new

Why don't people recognize the greatness of RT?

chatterbot

I've been using my Surface RT as my main computer for a few months and love it. I also use my desktop for some tasks, such as for gaming, but I don't even use my laptop anymore. I recently pulled out the laptop and was amused by how large and bulky it seemed. I have an x300 too, which was competitive with the Mac Air when it was released...thus it is like 3 lbs and less than 1 inch thick....yet it seems GIGANTIC and horrible to use compared to my Surface RT. Surface is to a laptop as a laptop is to a desktop.

The only annoyance I have with my Surface RT is that it can't install this one ebooks program called Calibre. Most people could just have a Surface RT and the next Xbox (720 or whatever they plan to call it). Most consumers don't need anything more.

The RT is superior to the iPad in my opinion....even when you account for the fewer number of apps....because the RT can replace a laptop's productivity. Most apps are crap anyway....and you can duplicate most important apps with the webpage. Plus, Windows 8 RT is a much better O/S than iOS for the iPad, which is really just a BIG iPhone IMO.

m5racer

The RT is superior to the iPad in my opinion....even when you account for the fewer number of apps....because the RT can replace a laptop's productivity. Most apps are crap anyway....and you can duplicate most important apps with the webpage. Plus, Windows 8 RT is a much better O/S than iOS for the iPad, which is really just a BIG iPhone IMO.

I basicly tell everyone this when they ask me how I like the surface, and if its better then an ipad. The ipad is way to simple and boring in terms of their home screen and lack of any sort of widget or live tile. Basicly as I see it, the iPad is the new device for older generations that have trouble using technology, or 2-12 year olds who need something simple and easy to use.

guitar1969

I've been using my Surface RT as my main computer for a few months and love it. I also use my desktop for some tasks, such as for gaming, but I don't even use my laptop anymore. I recently pulled out the laptop and was amused by how large and bulky it seemed. I have an x300 too, which was competitive with the Mac Air when it was released...thus it is like 3 lbs and less than 1 inch thick....yet it seems GIGANTIC and horrible to use compared to my Surface RT. Surface is to a laptop as a laptop is to a desktop.

The only annoyance I have with my Surface RT is that it can't install this one ebooks program called Calibre. Most people could just have a Surface RT and the next Xbox (720 or whatever they plan to call it). Most consumers don't need anything more.

For Calibre, you can use the app Freda and it syncs books from Calibre on your desktop.

Rallicat

I love my Surface, but I think Microsoft haven't done a great job of marketing it, and have missed a few tricks that could have helped promote it.

For example, last night I had my Surface hooked up to the TV with the HDMI adapter, an Xbox controller plugged in, and was basically using it like a console! I got to thinking, why on earth didn't Microsoft build the wireless controller connection technology right into Surface, and then make a HUGE deal about it (maybe bundle one with the tablet even!). It would have been a major differentiator over the competition, and for those looking to use their tablets for 'play' it really would have turned heads. I for one know that those who've seen me use the Surface with the Xbox controller are always quietly impressed - but they all say the same thing; "I didn't know you could do that".

Now, gaming is just one area where Microsoft have missed a trick, in other areas they haven't, such as with using the tablet for work. Having the touch and type keyboards is a real win - but I don't think Microsoft have effectively marketed this as well as they could have.

I guess until Microsoft pull a better marketing campaign out, it's kinda up to us to spread the word! Just remember, the next time your gaming friends scoff at you having bought a Surface - whip out your Xbox controller and show them up (it is possible to link up a wireless one too .. but you'll need the Xbox wireless receiver dongle)

mesii23

I agree that it is a marketing issue, the commercials are cute, but does very little to show what the device is capable of.

This past week I attended my first of several doctoral degree residences. In my class, there was in MacBook Pro, but everyone else was using these large brick laptops that weighed from 5-15 pounds and were running everything from XP to Vista to 7 and 8. Then here I am doing everything that they can do with my Surface RT and type cover. I was very proud of the device and everyone envied the free Office RT suite.

Was quite proud of the device, and I really hope Microsoft heavily expands the retail options and improves the marketing campaign

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

OP
C

chatterbot

The first commercial was one of the worst I've seen. It was just so terrible...did they really think they were going to win people over with that? The device costs $600. It's a real investment for most people...that means they use the left side of their brain for the purchase decision....like buying a car or house....not a Taylor Swift album.

I observe that most people who go into marketing are not all that bright...they are attractive women who like to shop for clothes so they think they know how to market products.

J515OP

Super Moderator
MS is not a consumer facing company and had a lot to learn about sales and marketing. If they continue to make MS branded products they will get there but it is going to take time. For the most of their history they haven't advertised anything they make. Mice and keyboards? Simply stocked in BestBuy, Staples and Costco. Windows and Office? Advertised by computer OEMs (as in "runs Windows 8 and comes with Office"). Xbox (their most successful product)? Advertised by the game companies (as in "Call of Duty 91 available on Xbox 360").

All they have ever had to do was the feel good look how cool commercials for image or awareness of a new product rather than directly driving sales. Unfortunately most of their good ads are stuck inside their youtube channel. Some examples in these threads.

http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/microsoft-surface-general-discussion/2935-ms-tv-advertising.html

http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/windows-8-forum/3078-windows-8-commercial.html

Tom T

The thing to me is there are two markets, one we know well, and that is the informed technogeek that has probably owned several devices including Android and Apple, and the other is comprised of those that have relied upon traditional computing devices. Microsoft has to make a compelling case to get us to invest in this alternative to the mobile devices we have a level of confidence in, but those timid to move away from the mainstream may be Microsofts best bet, and hardest sell. If they haven't been lured yet by the magic of Apple or the variety of Android, convincing them to open their wallets may not be so easy. Microsoft offers the familiarity and applications most people are used to with a convenience they may not yet know they can greatly benefit from, and if they can successfully convey this they can still capture a significant portion of the tablet market.

Griff

I think there's a negative perception associated with RT that it's a neutered OS. Granted, RT is a series of compromises, but they're ones I've gladly made. For me, the lack of legacy apps is an easy trade off for a less bloated OS and tons of battery time. I thought I would like my Surface when I got it, but I've been super happy with it. I know that MS has said that they plan to support it for several years in the future, but I really hope they go all in with their Surface line. I've owned tons of gadgets (almost all the iphones, ipads, MacBook air, MacBook pros, assorted pcs, etc, etc) and I've enjoyed all of those, but the Surface has come the closest to being exactly what I need.

R0bR

I think tech bloggers and the media are mostly responsible, they spread a lot of FUD when it comes to Microsoft products and rave about other products from Google and Apple. Consumers get online and all they see is negativity so rather than judge for themselves they follow the masses. Personally I find that one of the best features of Windows RT is that it doesn't run legacy or desktop applications. If I wanted that I would have bought a Pro or other ultrabook.

One example of how media has influences are Chromebooks. They get great reviews from the media as alternative to Windows and consumers are picking these things up, so much so that now Lenovo, HP, Acer and others will be coming put with their own. Here is a product that only runs a browser, no desktop apps and it has it's own store, doesn't even work with Google's Android apps. Why would anyone want to buy a device that is designed to run a browser? My phone, Surface, ultrabook, desktop, Xbox and TV can already do that, I could care less that you can pick up a Chromebook for less than $300. That's an expensive device just for a browsing experience that comes included with every other device out there. Maybe I have a different perspective of what value is, for the price my Surface provides more value then many of the other Tablets and Chromebooks out there.

flight

[...]

One example of how media has influences are Chromebooks. They get great reviews from the media as alternative to Windows and consumers are picking these things up, so much so that now Lenovo, HP, Acer and others will be coming put with their own. Here is a product that only runs a browser, no desktop apps and it has it's own store, doesn't even work with Google's Android apps. Why would anyone want to buy a device that is designed to run a browser? My phone, Surface, ultrabook, desktop, Xbox and TV can already do that, I could care less that you can pick up a Chromebook for less than $300. That's an expensive device just for a browsing experience that comes included with every other device out there. Maybe I have a different perspective of what value is, for the price my Surface provides more value then many of the other Tablets and Chromebooks out there.

In defense of the Chromebook: If web browsing with a full-size keyboard and great battery life (active & standby) is all a person is looking for, then I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the ARM Chromebook. A similar experience on the Surface would cost $600. Sure, you get much more for the extra $350, but many people are just looking for those three things.

R0bR

To each their own I guess, I suppose it's cheaper for schools to offer low end Chromebooks like Acers for $199 than to offer iPads. I also read today that there are versions that sell over around $450. That's nuts.