What's new

Why HD 4000 drivers from Microsoft are Outdated ?

charly1811

Hi everyone . Today windows update noticed me an update about a Driver . After installation a saw that it was about my graphic card . The Driver they sent me is outdated . After Installed the update i went to Intel Driver Update utility to check if this is really the lastest driver MS sent me .
That's what I got
Capture.PNG

I have uninstalled the MS version and installed the Intel one .
But can you explain me why MS drivers are outdated ?

benjitek

Just a guess -- but for whatever reason Microsoft currently supports the Surface Pro with whatever version of the drivers are automatically downloaded and installed. That's generally the way it is with laptops/hybrids -- driver updates come from the manufacturer of your system, not the makers of the components in it.

carmamir

Just install Intel HD4000 drivers. They will work, as you do not need to use Microsoft drivers (or Dell/HP or whoever selling laptops/tablets/pc's)

benjitek

Just install Intel HD4000 drivers. They will work, as you do not need to use Microsoft drivers (or Dell/HP or whoever selling laptops/tablets/pc's)

However, computer original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the software or software packaging they provide. To avoid any potential installation incompatibilities on your OEM system, Intel recommends that you check with your OEM and use the software provided by your system manufacturer. Intel and the computer original equipment manufacturer (OEM) may not provide technical support for some or all issues that could arise from the usage of this generic version of software drivers.

The might work, they might not -- but I think if Microsoft was ready to implement them, they'd auto-install. For whatever reason(s), they don't [yet]

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Intel creates Reference Drivers, most OEM's tweak the drivers to interact with their systems (Cooling and Power Management). Microsoft releases their drivers that have been tuned to the Surface.

surfdock

There is no harm in using the intel.com drivers which are secured with a 2-part PNPID (i.e. generic driver). The method for installing them is to first uninstall the Microsoft Provided driver via device manager. Then run the intel.com installer. Don't apply the Windows-update provided driver again, since it is secured via custom 4-part PNPID and will overwrite the newer generic intel.com driver. The Microsoft provided driver is well-tested for the scenarios MS supports and is updated on a regular cadence, but not as frequently as the intel.com driver. This blog post may help to understanding the rationale: https://blogs.msdn.com/b/directx/archive/2009/10/22/driver_5f00_distribution.aspx

Last edited:

swanlee

I can't install the newer intel drivers, after allowing the intel site to scan my surface and dl the drivers I launch it and it says the drivers aren't meant for my hardware. If I uninstall the current drivers and try and install the new drivers it says my pc does not meet the requirements. Any way around this?

demandarin

I can't install the newer intel drivers, after allowing the intel site to scan my surface and dl the drivers I launch it and it says the drivers aren't meant for my hardware. If I uninstall the current drivers and try and install the new drivers it says my pc does not meet the requirements. Any way around this?

Don't use that method as it'll usually always say that. Go to my thread here on how to install.

http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...drivers-intel-hd4000-graphics-fixes-bugs.html

eelpout

The MS sanctioned driver has some issues with Photoshop and causes the driver itself to crash. The latest from Intel is more stable.