djeemale

Firstly, the usual issues:
  • The magnetic power connector is fiddly
  • It is too heavy as a tablet
  • The metal case scratches easily
  • No built in mobile data option
  • Limited USB sockets
  • The pen is inaccurate in the corners
  • The pen does not have pressure sensitivity (out of the box, for the likes of Photoshop). Needs the Wacom driver
  • The pen has no secure home in the device (silly magnetic attachment on power socket is almost useless)
  • Expensive (especially in Australia where we pay premium prices (or a “tech tax”) on everything).
Nevertheless, I'm not going to bag Windows 8.x (per se), as I really don't think it's as bad as many people suggest. I kind of get it and know it will evolve over time. Simple fact is, I can pretty much ignore the new UI, if I want, and run all my usual desktop apps on Windows 8.x. My another tablet is great for media consumption, but definitely not for productivity (like running Adobe CC, etc).

However, I shall now explain why my Surface Pro 2 makes me curse it and loath it.

My Surface (8Gb, 256Gb) is the most frustratingly unreliable computing device I have ever owned! And that is not a trivial statement; I have owned and used computers since 1983 (over 30 years), therefore, I know my way around them. And before anyone suggests I need to do a fresh re-install of Windows, I have already done that.

So here is a list of the issues I am experiencing with My Surface, which make using it a horrible experience:

1. It will not shut down or restart about 80% of the time. Yes, I have left it in “shutting down…” mode overnight, just in case it was doing something (there’s no SSD access light on the Surface, so I have no idea if it’s working or not), but that proved to be just a waste of power.

2. It refuses to recognise the MS Wedge mouse far too often (despite trying to remove and reconnect the device). I mean, I could accept that the Surface may have issues with a third-party device, but another MS product?

3. It does not update correctly. It just sits there saying it is “preparing to install” updates forever.

Bottom line is, I am reluctant to use my Surface. It is neither a pleasant experience nor one I can rely on. And that really upsets me. I honestly wanted the Surface to be something I would want to use and be proud to show it off to all those who are desperately trying to justify their toy tablets.

Maybe I need to blow it away and reinstall from new media!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
  • The magnetic power connector is fiddly
  • It is too heavy as a tablet
  • The metal case scratches easily
  • No built in mobile data option
  • Limited USB sockets
  • The pen is inaccurate in the corners
  • The pen does not have pressure sensitivity (out of the box, for the likes of Photoshop). Needs the Wacom driver
  • The pen has no secure home in the device (silly magnetic attachment on power socket is almost useless)
  • Expensive (especially in Australia where we pay premium prices (or a “tech tax”) on everything).
By comparison to some other device:
  • Doesn't have a magnetic power connector
  • Too light and gets blown off the deck
  • Metal case causes severe allergic reactions
  • Redundant data plans eating up the budget
  • Doesn't have a USB socket
  • Doesn't have a pen
  • Doesn't have pen support
  • Doesn't have a pen
  • Expensive and charges a hundred dollars for 10 dollar features.
:D

I would do a factory reset and then slowly load things back on and see if you run into something causing the issue. I think for ultimate computing you still need a power house desktop, for on the road imo there is nothing better for portability- computing horsepower than the surface pro line. I would never lug around another laptop again.

Philtastic

In terms of your list of problems, the only ones I agree with are that the case scratches easily and that it does weigh a lot for a tablet. The power connector is not that fiddly: just line up one end of it then let it get magnetically drawn in. Everything else you listed cannot be solved by looking to any other tablet device if you want full Windows on the go. In terms of your software problems, that's usually a sign that you've corrupted some essential files on your computer and that you should reformat as callihan suggests. I have Windows 8.1 running on a self-built desktop, a Lenovo laptop, and the Surface Pro 2 and all are running quite fine.

I agree with the hardware complains, but to be honest... I am yet to find anything better. If anyone finds it please tell. The SFPro3 is not an option because it is not wacom and because it is, well, larger...

The final three problems are just the usual Windows problems.

dutchiedave

Almost all your complaints are things you knew before you bought the SP2.

As for hardware failures I had problems with my SP2 (I also live in Australia) with the SP2 crashing on resume from sleep . I had mine replaced under warranty. They delivered a brand new SP2 within a couple of days - the new one has been perfect since.

kundas1

I agree with the hardware complains, but to be honest... I am yet to find anything better. If anyone finds it please tell. The SFPro3 is not an option because it is not wacom and because it is, well, larger...

The final three problems are just the usual Windows problems.

your reasons why the SP3 is not an option is just YOUR reasons, for others, 1 the bigger screen is better! yes when I first got my SP3 I thought the bigger size would be more cumbersome but in fact it's perfect..perfect for watching movies, perfect for reading and surfing, and perfect for just about everything else I can think of and it's lighter than the SP2... secondly just because it isn't a "WACOM" WHO CARES? the N'trig performs just as good and just as smoothly as the wacom... wacom isnt the BE ALL END ALL screen. just might wanna educate yourself first than miss out on something really good!

kundas1

Firstly, the usual issues:
  • The magnetic power connector is fiddly (funny I don't have trouble with it nor others) perhaps user error?
  • It is too heavy as a tablet maybe try doing weights?
  • The metal case scratches easily ALL of my devices scratch easily! why should the SP2 be any differant?
  • No built in mobile data option- ever hear of hotspot/tethering?
  • Limited USB sockets- its a hybrid tablet/laptop so of course it has limited space so limited USB ports! duh!
  • The pen is inaccurate in the corners- dunno never used the pen...
  • The pen does not have pressure sensitivity (out of the box, for the likes of Photoshop). Needs the Wacom driver- so install the drivers, not that hard!
  • The pen has no secure home in the device (silly magnetic attachment on power socket is almost useless)- only thing I agree on with ya
Nevertheless, I'm not going to bag Windows 8.x (per se), as I really don't think it's as bad as many people suggest. I kind of get it and know it will evolve over time. Simple fact is, I can pretty much ignore the new UI, if I want, and run all my usual desktop apps on Windows 8.x. My another tablet is great for media consumption, but definitely not for productivity (like running Adobe CC, etc).

However, I shall now explain why my Surface Pro 2 makes me curse it and loath it.

My Surface (8Gb, 256Gb) is the most frustratingly unreliable computing device I have ever owned! And that is not a trivial statement; I have owned and used computers since 1983 (over 30 years), therefore, I know my way around them. And before anyone suggests I need to do a fresh re-install of Windows, I have already done that.

So here is a list of the issues I am experiencing with My Surface, which make using it a horrible experience:

1. It will not shut down or restart about 80% of the time. Yes, I have left it in “shutting down…” mode overnight, just in case it was doing something (there’s no SSD access light on the Surface, so I have no idea if it’s working or not), but that proved to be just a waste of power.

2. It refuses to recognise the MS Wedge mouse far too often (despite trying to remove and reconnect the device). I mean, I could accept that the Surface may have issues with a third-party device, but another MS product?

3. It does not update correctly. It just sits there saying it is “preparing to install” updates forever.

Bottom line is, I am reluctant to use my Surface. It is neither a pleasant experience nor one I can rely on. And that really upsets me. I honestly wanted the Surface to be something I would want to use and be proud to show it off to all those who are desperately trying to justify their toy tablets.

Maybe I need to blow it away and reinstall from new media!

I'm thinking perhaps your tablet might be defective and you might have to swap for a new one, OR perhaps trying to restore to factory again and then maybe that might fix it...

grumpy

your reasons why the SP3 is not an option is just YOUR reasons, for others, 1 the bigger screen is better! yes when I first got my SP3 I thought the bigger size would be more cumbersome but in fact it's perfect..perfect for watching movies, perfect for reading and surfing, and perfect for just about everything else I can think of and it's lighter than the SP2... secondly just because it isn't a "WACOM" WHO CARES? the N'trig performs just as good and just as smoothly as the wacom... wacom isnt the BE ALL END ALL screen. just might wanna educate yourself first than miss out on something really good!
Also, the SP3 is not an option due to the aggressive throttling resulting in poorer sustained performance than the SP2. 100g LIGHTER? WHO CARES? I gladly accept the 100g weight and 4mm thickness penalties for a superior cooling solution that allows the CPU to be used more effectively. And the SP3 screen glass is thinner resulting in distortion when pressing with the pen and it is more susceptible to cracking. Then there is the cruel joke that is the i7 version...

Last edited:
your reasons why the SP3 is not an option is just YOUR reasons, for others, 1 the bigger screen is better

Yeah, I forgot the "for me" part, sorry. Obviously if you don't use the pen or use it sparingly I fully understand you'd prefer a thinner screen, less battery consumption versus a wacom. But I specially selected the SFPro2 because of wacom versus other candidates, so it's significant for me.

The magnetic power connector is fiddly (funny I don't have trouble with it nor others) perhaps user error?
Well, Microsoft completely redesigned it on the SFPro3. I don't know if the redesign is any better but it shows they weren't convinced with the original design either. For me it's better than a non-magnetic one so I won't complain.
It is too heavy as a tablet maybe try doing weights?
.... aren't you being overly aggressive here?
I mean, it's heavy because it's powerful. But.. it's heavy. Some of use don't care, though.

kundas1

Also, the SP3 is not an option due to the aggressive throttling resulting in poorer sustained performance than the SP2. 100g LIGHTER? WHO CARES? I gladly accept the 100g weight and 4mm thickness penalties for a superior cooling solution that allows the CPU to be used more effectively. And the SP3 screen glass is thinner resulting in distortion when pressing with the pen and it is more susceptible to cracking. Then there is the cruel joke that is the i7 version...

sorry but if you had read the forums a little better and educated yourself a little better, you wold have seen that the SP3 outperforms the SP2 in MOST cases and only through heavy GAMING does the SP2 fair a little better and throttles less... BUT THATS IT, the SP3 outperforms the SP2...

100G is 100g for people like you who are complaining about it being heavy lol

kundas1

Yeah, I forgot the "for me" part, sorry. Obviously if you don't use the pen or use it sparingly I fully understand you'd prefer a thinner screen, less battery consumption versus a wacom. But I specially selected the SFPro2 because of wacom versus other candidates, so it's significant for me.

Well, Microsoft completely redesigned it on the SFPro3. I don't know if the redesign is any better but it shows they weren't convinced with the original design either. For me it's better than a non-magnetic one so I won't complain.

.... aren't you being overly aggressive here?
I mean, it's heavy because it's powerful. But.. it's heavy. Some of use don't care, though.

not being aggressive at all, but I find it funny that YOU find it heavy, really? according to you the SP3 is ONLY 100g lighter so it can't be THAT heavy, right? because the SP3 is light as heck!

and again so what about the wacom it isn't the be all end all screen, TONS of people are quite happy with the ntrig.. so your point is moot... I find your obsession for the wacom screen is quite limiting to having a better experience with the SP3 and a better device...

and as for the redesign, I think it wasn't because they weren't convinced but more of, listening to their customers who wanted it lighter and bigger and better screen... try not over analyze things.