What's new

Why I Returned My iPad Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
jrioux

jrioux

I'm guessing you haven't seen the similar posts from MS fans on the issues with the SP4 and SB?
Actually, no. The SP4 and SB are substantially more powerful and useful than the S3 and S2, so I don't hear the same complaint.

Window 10 teething problems, well... those are a different set of complaints. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Okay, on topic, the article berates Apple and then tries to sell you stock market stock in another tech company but won't tell you who without putting in your email. First problem.

He complains in the article how it doesn't suit his article for typing, but the article in question lacks any photos and is so short it could have been written on an phone.

He complains about typing but didn't buy an external keyboard and would have had the same issue on the Surface.

And then complains about the size over his air. Not sure if he was expecting 13" to be smaller than 10" but perhaps he got confused about which is the larger number.

I.e. It's simply bad writing attached to a poor marketing attempt

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, on topic, the article berates Apple and then tries to sell you stock market stock in another tech company but won't tell you who without putting in your email. First problem.

He complains in the article how it doesn't suit his article for typing, but the article in question lacks any photos and is so short it could have been written on an phone.

He complains about typing but didn't buy an external keyboard and would have had the same issue on the Surface.

And then complains about the size over his air. Not sure if he was expecting 13" to be smaller than 10" but perhaps he got confused about which is the larger number.

I.e. It's simply bad writing attached to a poor marketing attempt
Overall this specific analysis for Motley Fool is very Pro-Apple....

TMFAeassa’s Activity

We all know you are here with a specific mission to play the bringer of balance to Surface Enthusiasts' Community but please at least change it up from time to time....

Probably because they promote Apple stock when it's convenient to them as well.

As for the balance, I have both Surface Pro's (I can show 3 receipts for SP3's I've purchased in the last year) and Apple gear, but I'm happy to point out pointless Apple bashing when it makes no sense, particularly with an article like this which has about as much credibility as criminal defence lawyer. You on the other hand seem content to try bash Apple at every opportunity pointing to useless click bait articles like this, for no other purpose than to make you feel better about your Surface. If you like it, focus on what you like. If you need to point to problems with other products to make you feel better than perhaps you aren't that happy.

What was your purpose of posting this? Did you actually read the article in question? Did you see the attempts within the article to try point you to buying non-Apple stock and didn't think there was anything odd about it? To

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Probably because they promote Apple stock when it's convenient to them as well.

As for the balance, I have both Surface Pro's (I can show 3 receipts for SP3's I've purchased in the last year) and Apple gear, but I'm happy to point out pointless Apple bashing when it makes no sense, particularly with an article like this which has about as much credibility as criminal defence lawyer. You on the other hand seem content to try bash Apple at every opportunity pointing to useless click bait articles like this, for no other purpose than to make you feel better about your Surface. If you like it, focus on what you like. If you need to point to problems with other products to make you feel better than perhaps you aren't that happy.

What was your purpose of posting this? Did you actually read the article in question? Did you see the attempts within the article to try point you to buying non-Apple stock and didn't think there was anything odd about it? To
You are mistaken sir, I didn't post the original article nor do I bash Apple on a regular basis. I do believe that their product is inferior but has panache and a cult following but rarely do I bash them.

I've actually done Technical Marketing for Office 2016 on Mac and iPad and my company has run the Office for Mac Ad Campaigns.

You tend to defend Apple in every thread and when you talk about your Surface it is complaining.

As for the article wanting to recommend a stock via an opt in, that is their business model to get around email privacy policies and doesn't negate his personal experience.

I use both and I like both. I don’t believe you have to dislike one to like the other. And I don’t believe that is defending Apple.

A number of close minded people believe to the contrary so I will defend that position, not to defend Apple, but to defend the position of appreciating both and what they are good for. There seem to be a lot who fall into the Apple hating category here.

There are people here who say the SP4 is better than the IPP. I say they are wrong to compare the two. I say that the IPP has never meant to be a competitor to the SP4 (by Apple’s own admission) and therefore the argument is flawed. The IPP is a better tablet and the SP4 is a better hybrid or laptop. That said, if you wanted to compare the two, there are just as many things the IPP would beat the SP4 on, so the comparisons depend on what you compare.

There are people here who argue that the IPP isn’t a pro device. I have argued that the “Pro” moniker is not there to define professional, but simply more powerful of the plain old Surface (or plain old iPad). If this was not the case, why is the Surface Book called the Surface Book and not the Surface Pro Book because it’s more professional in spec than the Surface?? But that said, if you are a creative, the iPad Pro is a perfectly good professional device because I can tether it to a desktop and use it as a wacom tablet, so for me, it’s more professional than a SP4 because I can replace my wacom with it on a powerful desktop which the SP4 cannot do currently.

I did complain about my surface because I had to sell my personal SP3 because of the amount of issues I had with it post Windows 10, which I believe should never have happened. I have yet to receive a response to my complaint almost a month later. I can tell you that is dismal by customer service standards and I the longest I would experience on a complaint with Apple is a couple of days, a week I would be shocked. Unlike functionality (which may be subjective), reliability is reliability and poor reliability on a premium device is unacceptable. I don’t have to be an Apple fan to say that.

I don’t believe anything of the above comes down to “defending” Apple.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I use both and I like both. I don’t believe you have to dislike one to like the other. And I don’t believe that is defending Apple.

A number of close minded people believe to the contrary so I will defend that position, not to defend Apple, but to defend the position of appreciating both and what they are good for. There seem to be a lot who fall into the Apple hating category here.

There are people here who say the SP4 is better than the IPP. I say they are wrong to compare the two. I say that the IPP has never meant to be a competitor to the SP4 (by Apple’s own admission) and therefore the argument is flawed. The IPP is a better tablet and the SP4 is a better hybrid or laptop. That said, if you wanted to compare the two, there are just as many things the IPP would beat the SP4 on, so the comparisons depend on what you compare.

There are people here who argue that the IPP isn’t a pro device. I have argued that the “Pro” moniker is not there to define professional, but simply more powerful of the plain old Surface (or plain old iPad). If this was not the case, why is the Surface Book called the Surface Book and not the Surface Pro Book because it’s more professional in spec than the Surface?? But that said, if you are a creative, the iPad Pro is a perfectly good professional device because I can tether it to a desktop and use it as a wacom tablet, so for me, it’s more professional than a SP4 because I can replace my wacom with it on a powerful desktop which the SP4 cannot do currently.

I did complain about my surface because I had to sell my personal SP3 because of the amount of issues I had with it post Windows 10, which I believe should never have happened. I have yet to receive a response to my complaint almost a month later. I can tell you that is dismal by customer service standards and I the longest I would experience on a complaint with Apple is a couple of days, a week I would be shocked. Unlike functionality (which may be subjective), reliability is reliability and poor reliability on a premium device is unacceptable. I don’t have to be an Apple fan to say that.

Apple's Tim Cook has brought the comparison on himself:

Apple's Tim Cook declares the end of the PC and hints at new medical product

So he get these:

Tim Cook is (Almost) Right About the iPad Pro Replacing a PC

iPad Pro vs. Surface Pro 4 video - CNET

iPad Pro vs Surface Pro 4: Which is best for you?

iPad Pro vs Surface Pro 4: Which is Better?

And when sites like CNET and GottaBeMobile who are huge Apple Fanboi sites start to turn you have issues.

HeavyHanded

..But that said, if you are a creative, the iPad Pro is a perfectly good professional device because I can tether it to a desktop and use it as a wacom tablet, so for me, it’s more professional than a SP4 because I can replace my wacom with it on a powerful desktop which the SP4 cannot do currently.
...I can tell you that is dismal by customer service standards and I the longest I would experience on a complaint with Apple is a couple of days, a week I would be shocked. Unlike functionality (which may be subjective), reliability is reliability and poor reliability on a premium device is unacceptable. I don’t have to be an Apple fan to say that.

Dude, please step away. Take a deep breath. Spend some time with family. We like to be happy here.

Don’t be the kid who drops out of junior high school because he hates it, but then comes back at recess every day to tell other kids how much he hates school.

Anyway, in regards to my comments.

When I saw the iPad Pro presentation, I was really excited. I have had iPads since Gen 1 and I have bought many a stylus to use with Sketchbook Pro, Tayasui Sketch, and other apps. I’ve had some success with drawing on the iPad, but not as much as when drawing on Wacom tablets or tablet PCs. I’ve had LE1600, Series 7 Slate, and VivoTab Note 8. Currently I own a Surface 3 and use it for all my art purposes.

Back to the iPad. Although I knew I wouldn’t purchase one, I was really excited to see one in action or to play with one myself. When my co-worker got the iPad, type cover, and Pencil, I let him enjoy his honeymoon with the tablet. After a week, I asked could I borrow it for a couple of hours during work. I wanted to see if it could be a good device for someone needing MS Office and simple drawing and sketching.

I was wowed by its speed, but then disappointed with how many extra steps things take on the iPad. The typing experience was quite good, but it was unusable on my lap, unlike my S3 (which I’m typing on now while resting it on my lap). I also found Excel very frustrating to use without a trackpad/mouse. Maybe there is a way to emulate a trackpad, but it wasn’t obvious.

Finally, I tried out the Pencil. It was responsive and accurate, but I didn’t like the feel of slippery pencil. It handles layered Sketchbook Pro files well, actually better than my S3, but I missed my desktop apps: Manga Studio, Blender, and full Sketchbook Pro.

Anyway, I returned it to my friend. He was grinning like a new car salesmen after a test drive, but I kindly told him I’m very happy with what I already have.

So for those who like the reliability/simplicity of iOS and want a good stylus, then the iPad Pro is great. But as a replacement for my S3, it doesn’t cut it.

Status
Not open for further replies.