What's new

Why I shouldn't return my surface 3?

indy26

My ipad3 (2012) has been crashing and apple says the hardware is failing. I use this for 95% of my home needs. I also have a 2008 imac that's still working well for the remaining 5% (there might be .1% where a windows PC would be handy)
Despite how this sounds I'm no mac addict. I thought a surface could be an all in one solution to my computing needs. I picked up a surface 3 at Costco last month. now I'm trying to figure out if I keep it or return it.
I like the design and functionality. the stylus and keyboard are nice to have (part of the Costco bundle.) and I like that its a full up PC with a file system that runs windows software.
I'm an engineer I spend my working day on a Windows PC and when I come home I want my minimal home needs to be as frustration free as possible. Mainly web surfing email music and podcasts.
I find I keep reaching for the ipad because its just more user friendly. everything seems to be a little easier.
Ive only used the surface a little. day 2 I was locked out of the surface because my wifi was down and by default it created a online account. I had deal with MS tech support through my ipad to setup a local account that works offline.
then it was trouble free (and rarely used) until the sound gave out today.

Why should I stick with the surface and not just return it and get a new ipad?
I'm tempted to keep it around for occational use alongside the macs but a cheaper laptop could fill that role.

Plantje

Sounds like an iPad might be the better way to go. For the purpose that you describe I have an Archos Cesium 80 next to my other devices. Handy format and Windows 10

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I personally find the iPad infuriating and frustrating....I have an S3 and SP4 and configured properly they both work without an a hitch. But if you want an appliance type device get a new iPad or Android Tablet....

You really need to give us more info - what Apps are you using? Your tasks on the surface (pun intended) should tax the S3 and it should be able to do what you are wanting.

OP
I

indy26

So iPad apps I use regularly
Ipad
Podcast (this app kind of sucks)
Safari
Netflix
Amazon Prime Video
Pandora

iMac
turbo tax (technically safari again)
MS office
iPhoto (just getting photos off the camera)
iVideo
Scanning
Printing

In other words Nothing the surface should have any difficulty
with. This is why I risked buying it. Yet in the last 30days I've had to search for tech help more times with the surface than the last 4 years with the iPad. Acutally right now the spell check has this entire paragraph underlined... WTF? still need to figure out why I don't have sound right now

Also why should a basic non-power user need to configure a computer at all? I mean I'd understand if this were Linix but its a home computer being used for basic home things... This seems like laziness on Microsoft's part.

Honestly I wish I could get a tablet with osx. ios is convenient but I do get frustrated that it doesn't have a file system.

OP
I

indy26

oh yeah I'm still a little concerned about online banking and bill paying with windows. I know windows security is better than it used to be but that's like say keeping your money in the mattress is better than keeping it in the front yard. It's still safer to use a bank.

leeshor

I wouldn't be any more or less concerned about on-line banking using Windows. I do it all the time as do my customers and none have had an issues with regard to security.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
So iPad apps I use regularly
Ipad
Podcast (this app kind of sucks)
Safari
Netflix
Amazon Prime Video
Pandora

iMac
turbo tax (technically safari again)
MS office
iPhoto (just getting photos off the camera)
iVideo
Scanning
Printing

In other words Nothing the surface should have any difficulty
with. This is why I risked buying it. Yet in the last 30days I've had to search for tech help more times with the surface than the last 4 years with the iPad. Acutally right now the spell check has this entire paragraph underlined... WTF? still need to figure out why I don't have sound right now

Also why should a basic non-power user need to configure a computer at all? I mean I'd understand if this were Linix but its a home computer being used for basic home things... This seems like laziness on Microsoft's part.

Honestly I wish I could get a tablet with osx. ios is convenient but I do get frustrated that it doesn't have a file system.
Not sure what issues you've had, I'm in the Insiders Program and haven't had the issues you're apparently having...are you using Edge or Windows Store Apps?
oh yeah I'm still a little concerned about online banking and bill paying with windows. I know windows security is better than it used to be but that's like say keeping your money in the mattress is better than keeping it in the front yard. It's still safer to use a bank.
Windows is actually much more secure than both iOS and OSX, Windows as a vulnerable OS is ancient from the XP era...

But with your issues and frustration with the S3 you will be much happier with your mobile OS tablet...