What's new

Why is a Microsoft IP address accessing my outlook.com account?

annabanana

I wonder if any of the Microsoft MVPs or others have any ideas about this. Twice now I have gotten notices from Microsoft (Microsoft account team [[email protected]] of unusual sign-in activity. Both times are from the same IP address which appears to belong to Microsoft.

Sign-in details:
Country/region: United States
IP address: 132.245.80.28

This IP address apparently belongs to Microsoft.
http://whois.domaintools.com/132.245.80.28
NetRange: 132.245.0.0 - 132.245.255.255
CIDR: 132.245.0.0/16
NetName: MICROSOFT
NetHandle: NET-132-245-0-0-1
Parent: NET132 (NET-132-0-0-0-0)
NetType: Direct Assignment
OriginAS:
Organization: Microsoft Corp (MSFT-Z)
RegDate: 2011-06-22
Updated: 2013-08-20
Ref: http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-132-245-0-0-

At first I thought it might be phishing email, but it appears to be legit.

I've contacted Microsoft support but so far all I got was now to change my password, add two-factor authentication, etc. What I'd really know is why is a person or script/bot, or whatever accessing my account.

OP
annabanana

annabanana

Weird indeed. How did you get that it's a sales office in Wichita? When I tracert the IP it stops at 207.xxx... MSN something
I don't see anything on the Global Security site that would be helpful for this issue - maybe I am missing something.

I have 3 smartphones, my desktop, my SP3 and Windows mail on the SP3 all using the same MS id. It's real pain to have to change the password on everything.

It started after I set up my email on a new smartphone on AT&T. A mistyped my password a couple it times - would that trigger something at Microsoft to access my account?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I suppose you could Tweet at msgsoc, the response should be interesting :)
Why is MS 132.245.80.28 accessing my email account?

It might be the Chinese or North Koreans :D
The alphabet agencies would only be interested in mail to/from 'Persons of Interest' although junk or spam could be of interest under the right circumstances then again it could just have been a typo. :D

I know you can get flagged pretty easily because my dad called me and said he forgot his password to his MS Account to login to his computer. Sometimes he can mistype his PW repeatedly or he forgets what he's done... :) At one point I launched the browser from my desktop try his password on his account and was immediately flagged because of the 'different' IP address even though I never got on.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Weird indeed. How did you get that it's a sales office in Wichita? When I tracert the IP it stops at 207.xxx... MSN something
I don't see anything on the Global Security site that would be helpful for this issue - maybe I am missing something.

I have 3 smartphones, my desktop, my SP3 and Windows mail on the SP3 all using the same MS id. It's real pain to have to change the password on everything.

It started after I set up my email on a new smartphone on AT&T. A mistyped my password a couple it times - would that trigger something at Microsoft to access my account?
I used this:
http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/132.245.80.28

It appears to be a regional field office used by the US Sub..

The Microsoft Global Security has a Contact Us Section on the link I posted....

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used this:
http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/132.245.80.28

It appears to be a regional field office used by the US Sub..

The Microsoft Global Security has a Contact Us Section on the link I posted....
From the geolocation blurb on whatsmyipadress:
And as this article is being written (at a local coffee shop), the geo-locator says I'm near Wichita, Kansas, when I'm in fact smelling the breezes off the Pacific Ocean between San Diego and Los Angeles. (If you go to our Hide IP address page you'll find out how that can happen.)​

There's something about Wichita ... I've seen that popup before :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
From the geolocation blurb on whatsmyipadress:
And as this article is being written (at a local coffee shop), the geo-locator says I'm near Wichita, Kansas, when I'm in fact smelling the breezes off the Pacific Ocean between San Diego and Los Angeles. (If you go to our Hide IP address page you'll find out how that can happen.)​

There's something about Wichita ... I've seen that popup before :)
Yes, I know how to abscond IP Addresses, but if in fact this is a MS IP Address, they have an office in that location. I'm in Bellevue, WA but Comcast Business has my POP in San Antonio, TX....

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, I know how to abscond IP Addresses, but if in fact this is a MS IP Address, they have an office in that location. I'm in Bellevue, WA but Comcast Business has my POP in San Antonio, TX....
The MS office is on the southwest side of Wichita but the goelocator pin is a farm field on the northeast side. :) according to satellite images anyway. of course certain things are officially not shown in satellite images... so that field may really be a datacenter or the guy in that farm house may be running a service in his barn alongside the milking machines. :D

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The MS office is on the southwest side of Wichita but the goelocator pin is a farm field on the northeast side. :) according to satellite images anyway. of course certain things are officially not shown in satellite images... so that field may really be a datacenter or the guy in that farm house may be running a service in his barn alongside the milking machines. :D
It is wherever the Point of Presence (POP) reports....it's seldom exact or even close especially in "Flyover Country" ;)