What's new

Why is MS disabling the power cover ?

dman27

Why aren't MS Supporting my $200 Power keyboard that i purchased from them to prop up poor battery life on 2,3 versions of Surface pro? I as a consumer continue to support them by buying all their versions of Surface, only to find out battery life has decreased in each version (Ymmv).

MS, are you claiming that the power cover is hardware incompatible with the surface pro 4 ?

All the pins are exactly the same, make it work.

A firmware update worked with the Sp3, When are you fixing this for your sp4 ?

mva5580

I'm going to go out on a limb and say "MS" is not reading your post.

Anyway....business decisions are made quite frequently that aren't in the 100% best interest of every single consumer that has ever bought a product from X company.

If it bothers you that much, stop buying things from them. I'll wager that won't happen.

OP
D

dman27

I'm going to go out on a limb and say "MS" is not reading your post.

Anyway....business decisions are made quite frequently that aren't in the 100% best interest of every single consumer that has ever bought a product from X company.

If it bothers you that much, stop buying things from them. I'll wager that won't happen.
You wagered right with your very helpful answer.

OP
D

dman27

I agree, but it might be best to post that on a Microsoft web site and not a user forum.
I posted this to their forum first. Hope to drum up support here as well. Even though it was a slightly awkward look, the power cover greatly helped on the battery life of the Sp3 when needed.

Zkyevolved

I posted this to their forum first. Hope to drum up support here as well. Even though it was a slightly awkward look, the power cover greatly helped on the battery life of the Sp3 when needed.
Yes. I understand, but that accessory is over 2 years old. They made it backwards compatible with the sp3 with a firmware update as you stated. Maybe they'll update the sp4 one of these days. Maybe not. But I agree, it's sad not to provide that support. The only thing I can think is that maybe the connector has changed internally. Maybe that port doesn't have the ability to draw power from a connected device. Maybe it can only give power...

Maybe an engineer could confirm or deny this...

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just a thought to consider. Many surface book buyers are buyers because of the battery life. No different than a kickstand on the surface book, having power cover on sp4 could be one more reason not to splash out on the book.