What's new

Why jumps to same SW diff window when I close one

JoeHL

Why when I close one window of any software (like one Excel workbook) the windows switch to a different window of same software (like a different Excel Workbook) I have opened instead of a second last used software window (like Outlook etc.)? Can this behavior be changed?
Thanks!

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Applications such as Excel, Word, Powerpoint, and many graphics or photo editing utilities operate in a multiple window environment, with each window keeping the overall application open. If two Excel spreadsheets are open, for example, closing one will not simply close the other.

However, to close all windows of a multiple-window environment such as Excel, Word, or PowerPoint, hold down the SHIFT key as you click on the "X" in the top-right corner to close the window. All windows will attempt to close, and close the application as well.

OP
J

JoeHL

Applications such as Excel, Word, Powerpoint, and many graphics or photo editing utilities operate in a multiple window environment, with each window keeping the overall application open. If two Excel spreadsheets are open, for example, closing one will not simply close the other.

However, to close all windows of a multiple-window environment such as Excel, Word, or PowerPoint, hold down the SHIFT key as you click on the "X" in the top-right corner to close the window. All windows will attempt to close, and close the application as well.
Thanks, but i wanna keep the other spreadsheet open. I work in one, than Outlook, than back in the same spreadsheet, than i close it, and instead of windows popping into Outlook that was on the screen directly before, it will jump into another excel spreadsheet that i still had open although not worked on in some time. I don't want that. I know still have another excel open and need that but don't want windows to jump to it when i close different excel. I want it to go to second last window i had open, like the Outlook.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the clarification.

Windows will indeed revert to the next window in the same application (Excel, Word, etc.) instead of switching to the last window you used. That is by design.

However, try repeatedly using the ALT+TAB combination with your left hand, which will switch through your windows. That may be the best way to overcome the Windows behavior which is not best or intuitive to you.

I hope this helps, @JoeHL.