What's new

Why MS hasn't released a Core M Surface Pro

Tried out both the Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro and HP Envy X2 Core M models today at my local Best Buy, and these things lag like nothing else. Just flicking the metro start screen left and right resulted in lag. The Envy was especially bad in it's keyboard responsiveness, as I'd type out a sentence, and it would miss letters here and there (when I'm 100% positive I hit the keys).

Apps and programs took longer to open as well - and after unplugging the battery charger and going through tons of IE tabs, the battery also started dropping really quickly on both devices (both of which have a much smaller battery than the SP3 to begin with).

I'll bet Microsoft is waiting on the higher spec'ed Core M's that are arriving in the new year, but even still, I have a feeling they won't go that direction. If this is anything like the Atom chips, none of these Core M's will be performance winners in the long run, (and the included Intel HD 5300 in these devices is also far worse than the current HD5000 in the SP3).

Long story short, the SP3 is a premium device, both inside and out - while these Core M pretenders seem to only be focused on the exteriors, and any battery enhancements are offput by including smaller batteries so that the devices can be thinner and lighter...

ctitanic

Anyway, when the SP3 was released the Core M was not ready yet. So probably we will see it in the next generation.

But in my personal opinion, I which they don't do that because the Core M is less powerful than the current i5 and i7.

raqball

I had the Yoga 3 Pro for 2 weeks before returning it. In my opinion the processor was fine but here were my issued with it
  1. The trackpad and mouse are absolutely horrible on it. Using touch everything scrolled fast and it was snappy. Punch to zoom was fast and fluid as well. Using the trackpad it was horrible and exactly as you described. Lag, shuddering, lag and lag some more. Zoom with the trackpad? Forget it! Lag, lag, and lag some more.
  2. At 1st I didn't hear the fan and didn't think it was even running. After using it in a quiet room once I noticed that the fan would constantly run. After that I paid closer attention to it and even sitting on my coffee table, doing nothing the fan was running. The unit never got hot and my concern was if the fan is running 24/7 how long before it dies.
  3. Not really an issue as most can be removed but Levono pack a ton and I mean a ton of bloatware on this machine. It's loaded to the hilt with the stuff.
In short, I don't think the processor was really an issue for my use but I'd be considered a very light user. The issues were the absolutely horrible trackpad and the fan running 24/7.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Computerworld reported the Lenovo scored 1455 on Passmark which puts it solidly in the underwhelming class. by comparison an old Core 2 Duo L9600 scored 1450 (That's what was in a high end 2010 MBA). Actually Windows 8.1 runs pretty well on that even though the screen is low res by comparison. Another common chip the Core 2 duo E4600 scored 1456 and the Core 2 duo E6600 scored 1555 found in the likes of Dell Inspiron 530 fro. 2008.

The top end Atom Z3770 scores 1285. I have to think Lenovo is dogging it or the Core M is in trouble and will get trounced by the next gen 14nm Atom Series. I mean no disrespect to dogs.

The Lenovo was well behind Intel's reference tablet although it had a unique heat dissipation system it didn't seem like Lenovo put forth a best in class effort and spent too much time working on that silly hinge. I don't see any benchmarks on the HP X2 yet.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The stock i3 4020y scores 2258 on Passmark (might be a little lower in the Surface Pro 3). Unless there's better performance to be had out of a Core-M which is possible based on Intel expectations or the better Core-M chips to come up their game the only chance of seeing one in a Surface is if they introduce a new lower end unit and drop the price.

young blade

The stock i3 4020y scores 2258 on Passmark (might be a little lower in the Surface Pro 3). Unless there's better performance to be had out of a Core-M which is possible based on Intel expectations or the better Core-M chips to come up their game the only chance of seeing one in a Surface is if they introduce a new lower end unit and drop the price.

I don't think that's going to happen because that would also mean that the new Broadwell processors are cheaper than the Haswell processors.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think that's going to happen because that would also mean that the new Broadwell processors are cheaper than the Haswell processors.
I wouldn't expect a Core-M to cost as much as a U series chip and it will cost more than an Atom. it's going to get squeezed on price/performance. Just noticed the Bay Trail Z3795 Atom posted 1658 on Passmark which is still a last gen Atom. The new 14nm Atom Braswells will be coming in 2015. Core-M will need to be at least up to the i3 Y series performance or better. I cant figure what Lenovo did with the Yoga but its not up to expectations based on early benchmarks. They better have a major tweak for the FW or it's burnt toast.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Microsoft only used the "M" Haswell equivelant on the i3 which is a Haswell "Y", they've used the "U" Variant on the i5 and i7 and those are not expected until Q2 C2015....and with Intel's track record not available in quanities until Q3 (right around the expected release of Windows 10 and the SP4).

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Win 10, Sp4 and Office Gemini - released simultaneously. That's what I think.
Historically Office has released about 90+ days after the OS is finalized to finish on stable code.

Releasing these simultaneously would be very bad IMO. Hardware is NOT OS dependent more the other way but tying them together is completely arbitrary and not the best of strategies for the marketplace. oh yeah, not the MS strong suit, especially lately.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Historically Office has released about 90+ days after the OS is finalized to finish on stable code.

Releasing these simultaneously would be very bad IMO. Hardware is NOT OS dependent more the other way but tying them together is completely arbitrary and not the best of strategies for the marketplace. oh yeah, not the MS strong suit, especially lately.
Office Gemini is the Touch Version of Office for Windows (Phone and Tablet) and all but requires Windows 10....but even with that said, there is expectation that Office 2015 will launch around the same time as Windows 10 as well....