What's new

Why no second magnetic port for the pen?

mitchellvii

One nice feature of the Surface Pro 2 is the addition of a much stronger magnet in the power/pen port. It takes a pretty good pull to remove the power dongle this time whereas the lightest brush made it fall out before.

Well done Microsoft, but why not just add a second magnetic port so I can securely store the pen while charging? Right across the top would have been nice. The top is the best place for the pen anyway because I can then hold the tablet in landscape without knocking the pen off with my hand. I mean, did you not hear the public screaming at you that this needed to happen? Did you not notice that every single competitor offering a pen provides secure storage?

Who is it in product development at MS that makes the decision to just ignore what the market is telling them we want?

Last edited:
One nice feature of the Surface Pro 2 is the addition of a much stronger magnet in the power/pen port. It takes a pretty good pull to remove the power dongle this time whereas the lightest brush made it fall out before.

Well done Microsoft, but why not just add a second magnetic port so I can securely store the pen while charging? Right across the top would have been nice. The top is the best place for the pen anyway because I can then hold the tablet in landscape without knocking the pen off with my hand. I mean, did you not hear the public screaming at you that this needed to happen? Did you not notice that every single competitor offering a pen provides secure storage?

Who is it in product development at MS that makes the decision to just ignore what the market is telling them we want?

I wish they wouldve just designed it similiar to the samsung note tablets

nForcer

If I were to guess, it is for fear of users trying to use the 2nd mag strip as a charging port and MS cust svc getting calls from disgruntled users that their power supply no longer worked. Just a guess.
On a separte note, MS could have developed the pen with a smaller mag holder so that the power tip would not fit to prevent the confusion. Maybe these changes will be in SP3 Pro, we can only hope. I will wait for that generation before I consider upgrading as I am very happy with my SP and mostly use it for Office, One Note, and web browsing as well as SkyDrive (or what ever it will soon be called).

Dim-Ize

1) I didn't know the magnet was stronger. That's great news, IMO.
2) You're right on point. Wow - that would have been so sweet to have a holder on top. My case does that now, but a magnet would have been superior.
3) I can only imagine the roll-out of the SP3 - following Apple's move and similar to the movie, Spinal Tap, "...but this one goes to 11". "This one has a magnet."

apoc_reg

It's because this is a annual revision not a new model (which is exactly how apple do it), a new magnet port would have required a different shell.

santoki

It's because this is a annual revision not a new model (which is exactly how apple do it), a new magnet port would have required a different shell.

It only would've been an incremental change to the shell. By your logic they couldn't have made adjustments to the kickstand or used a stronger magnet.

Ruffles

Any Spinal Tap reference gets an instant "like" from me :). Now that they are releasing more keyboards and a dock, the exterior dimensions/shape are less likely to change. I imagine some kind of magnetic connector on the top is possible. I'd still like an internal silo. The least they could do is give you a little elastic loop on the side of the keyboard we could slide it into.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Well they could have been thinking that most people use a case anyway and the magnetic holder would be unnecessary (and probably wouldn't work anyway). There probably is simply no room inside for a silo. But the case idea would negate the need for an adjustable kickstand and they did that so who knows.

Nuspieds

I'm travelling coast-to-coast and on the plane I find that the pen is better than the mouse, but I always have to "worry" about where I have stored the pen inflight.

Sometimes I have dropped it; other times I have left it on the Type Cover, in between the SP and the Type Cover; other times it has been on my seat; etc. Though I initially thought that I would not be a pen user, I have obviously come to love it while using my SP inflight.

Yes, MS definitely needs to incorporate a permanent storage location for the pen.

D

Deleted member 10837

The pen is only $30 so I'm not overly concerned about losing it.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I'm travelling coast-to-coast and on the plane I find that the pen is better than the mouse, but I always have to "worry" about where I have stored the pen inflight.

Sometimes I have dropped it; other times I have left it on the Type Cover, in between the SP and the Type Cover; other times it has been on my seat; etc. Though I initially thought that I would not be a pen user, I have obviously come to love it while using my SP inflight.

Yes, MS definitely needs to incorporate a permanent storage location for the pen.

I find the fact that Microsoft must have considered this in their redesign and decided it unimportant a bit frightening.