What's new

Why should I consider the Surface RT over the Pro?

allsabotage

I've borrowed an RT from work over the weekend and after initially hating it, I've really grown to like using the device. Its certainly not perfect and there are some things that baffle me, but on the whole I enjoy using it.

So I've been considering buying one for myself, but I'm a tad confused about whether to get the Pro or the RT, and the differences between them. I've read enough to know that the Pro runs full Windows 8 rather than the RT version, which will allow me to run desktop applications, and this would be a big plus for me. My laptop is reaching the end of its life and there are some desktop apps I can't do without, so it would either be an RT and a laptop or a Surface Pro on its own. The Pro certainly seems on the face of it to be the much more capable device.

But I thought maybe I was missing something about the RT that makes it the better purchase, and this seemed a good place to ask the question. What makes the RT better than the Pro, other than the price?

Omni

You could buy a cheap desktop pc for home and use Remote Desktop on your RT. Not the same as having a Pro but it works great for the desktop apps I use.

Lolvo

The portability, weight, thinness, and battery life are all pro's the RT has over the Pro. Other than that, I can't think of much else.

Codevine

You could buy a cheap desktop pc for home and use Remote Desktop on your RT. Not the same as having a Pro but it works great for the desktop apps I use.
Short Version:

RT:
- Longer battery life (10 hours if I remember correctly)
- Thinner
- Lighter

Pro:
- Better Display
- Wacom Digitizer
- Better Hardware Overall
- "Real" Windows

If the RT meets all your needs, you don't need a Pro. If you want to run legacy apps (like normal Windows applications), you will have to get the Pro.

Jglnaz372

As others have said the RT is thinner, much cheaper, lighter, and has a version of Office included. With cloud services and Remote Desktop programs, I would save a few dollars and buy the RT. Luckily you already had time using one and if it met your needs I see no reason not to buy one to replace your old laptop. See if work might let you keep the RT for a week or two to really see how much you like it or not. I have been using the RT since last year and have not missed my older laptop one bit.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
And remember that when RT 8.1 is released (or sooner if you run the beta) you get Outlook 2013 on RT!!!!

Krighton

Are you serious? The RT is nothing more than a crippled Surface Pro. Hence the $900,000 loss Microsoft is eating.

You can't install your own apps on an RT. It's the same tactic that Apple took and it (rightfully) bit them in the ass.

Surface Pro or bust. It's a FULL BLOWN PC. If you want a toy, get the RT. Or better yet grab an iPad and do even less.

I can't believe people fall for the marketing crap.

Codevine

Are you serious? The RT is nothing more than a crippled Surface Pro. Hence the $900,000 loss Microsoft is eating.

You can't install your own apps on an RT. It's the same tactic that Apple took and it (rightfully) bit them in the ass.

Surface Pro or bust. It's a FULL BLOWN PC. If you want a toy, get the RT. Or better yet grab an iPad and do even less.

Why would I pay 500$ more when I can do all I want on the RT? If I just want to to some lightweight Surfing, writing a bit in Word/Excel, check mails and watch some movies, I don't need a Surface Pro.

Btw: I'm using a Surface Pro, because the RT doesn't do what I need. ;P

OP
A

allsabotage

Would it be reasonable to say that I'll find everything I liked about the RT on the Pro, but with the added benefit of full Windows 8?

The main thing that puts me off the Pro is the price, I wish Microsoft would drop it a little (or at least bundle a keyboard in with it).

Codevine

Would it be reasonable to say that I'll find everything I liked about the RT on the Pro, but with the added benefit of full Windows 8?
You should keep in mind that the Surface Pro battery only lasts ~5 hours and it's thicker/heavier/louder. Other than that, yes, the Surface Pro does a lot better.

kristalsoldier

I've borrowed an RT from work over the weekend and after initially hating it, I've really grown to like using the device. Its certainly not perfect and there are some things that baffle me, but on the whole I enjoy using it.

So I've been considering buying one for myself, but I'm a tad confused about whether to get the Pro or the RT, and the differences between them. I've read enough to know that the Pro runs full Windows 8 rather than the RT version, which will allow me to run desktop applications, and this would be a big plus for me. My laptop is reaching the end of its life and there are some desktop apps I can't do without, so it would either be an RT and a laptop or a Surface Pro on its own. The Pro certainly seems on the face of it to be the much more capable device.

But I thought maybe I was missing something about the RT that makes it the better purchase, and this seemed a good place to ask the question. What makes the RT better than the Pro, other than the price?

Edit: This is in direct response to the title of your thread: "Why should I consider the Surface RT over the Pro?"

Kind of a strange question, is it not? Your decision will depend on (1) your work flow (2) how you want to execute said work flow (3) your financial flexibility (4) your personal preferences etc. It is very difficult for anyone to really answer your question simply because everyone's metric is different. Personally, I found the Surface RT eminently suitable for my work flow and I have not been disappointed. Others have found the Pro to be more suited to their needs and they have not been disappointed. Yet others imagined the RT to be able to fulfill a need, which it was not able to do - they were mightily disappointed. And there are others - like Krighton who posted below - who are dismissive and insulting to those who have chosen something contrary to what he (or she) thinks.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member

Really Dude???? Can you hold out the possibility that there are users out there who made an informed intelligent decision and chose the RT for what we needed? Many of us that use our RT are served by the Office Suite and IE and for other things found Modern UI Apps that meet our other needs. Chill....you come across as a bit of an adolescent with your comments, if you are, carry on and your brain will continue to develop.