What's new

Why should I consider the Surface RT over the Pro?

Omni

I purchased the RT with the intention of getting the Pro when it was released. But I've found the RT does practically everything I need. I have had to find some apps to do certain jobs but my server is only ever a RDP away so I'm really pleased I did buy the RT.

mitchellvii

The Pro is more powerful but it is also MUCH more expensive, MUCH hotter, MUCH heavier and MUCH less battery life. For many people, and if you aren't hung up on having an HD screen, the Surface RT is just fine (especially for the new price).

oion

I bought the RT knowing the Pro was coming for two man reasons: battery life and "full" Office (which will be even better with the Outlook patch). Full browser helps with any lack of apps, which I don't really care about.

You can get around the inability to install x86 apps with Remote Desktop most of the time, but you can't just up battery life. The Office suite is about a $140 value.

I get everything I need in the RT with the above and have a 25" LCD 6-core 12GB memory 1tb gaming rig for everything else.

RT is an add-on machine while Pro could be your one and only. That's the crux of it.

mitchellvii

I was actually planning on giving my GF my Pro when I get the Ativ Q but now she wants an RT because she thinks the Pro is too heavy and hot and she can do everything with RT Office and IE 11 she needs done. Can't argue with her. She agrees with me that 90% of Android apps are basically trying to fake what Office already does, so who needs them?

The funny thing about the RT is that it gets a really bad rap in the tech community amongst the "experts", but if you go places like BestBuy and read actual user comments, it is 4.5 stars straight across with 80% of reviews 5.0 stars. Translated, actual users LOVE the RT, even those who bought it at the insanely overinflated original price.

Face it, at $349 for the cheapest RT you are basically paying for a copy of Office with a free tablet thrown in.

P.S., Right now RT is basically the worst it will ever be. It only gets better from here. More refined OS, better apps, etc.

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

I was actually planning on giving my GF my Pro when I get the Ativ Q but now she wants an RT because she thinks the Pro is too heavy and hot and she can do everything with RT Office and IE 11 she needs done. Can't argue with her. She agrees with me that 90% of Android apps are basically trying to fake what Office already does, so who needs them?

The funny thing about the RT is that it gets a really bad rap in the tech community amongst the "experts", but if you go places like BestBuy and read actual user comments, it is 4.5 stars straight across with 80% of reviews 5.0 stars. Translated, actual users LOVE the RT, even those who bought it at the insanely overinflated original price.

Face it, at $349 for the cheapest RT you are basically paying for a copy of Office with a free tablet thrown in.

P.S., Right now RT is basically the worst it will ever be. It only gets better from here. More refined OS, better apps, etc.

Finally you see the light!!!!!

mitchellvii

Finally you see the light!!!!!

No actually Microsoft has seen the light and seems committed to making Windows not suck. We'll see. As far as the Surface RT, it was a full blown lose at the old price but at $349 it makes sense.

Luckily MS has deep enough pockets to outlast their own arrogance and stupidity.

One interesting point. Since it seems like pretty much all of MS's hardware partners are bailing on RT (Asus today), MS will have that playing field all to themselves. As a matter of fact, I would not be surprised if MS agreed behind closed doors to leave the high end hybrid space to their hardware partners if they got an exclusive on the RT space.

My GF is a microcosm of the marketplace at large. She would NEVER have considered an RT at the old price but at $349 it makes sense for her.

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

No actually Microsoft has seen the light and seems committed to making Windows not suck. We'll see. As far as the Surface RT, it was a full blown lose at the old price but at $349 it makes sense.

Luckily MS has deep enough pockets to outlast their own arrogance and stupidity.

One interesting point. Since it seems like pretty much all of MS's hardware partners are bailing on RT (Asus today), MS will have that playing field all to themselves. As a matter of fact, I would not be surprised if MS agreed behind closed doors to leave the high end hybrid space to their hardware partners if they got an exclusive on the RT space.

My GF is a microcosm of the marketplace at large. She would NEVER have considered an RT at the old price but at $349 it makes sense for her.

Leaving aside the decision of your GF, MS focusing on the RT - like you and I speculated in some of our previous posts - makes a lot of sense. As I see it, if they are able to sharpen their offering in that segment, they will be able to create a significant space for themselves in the tablet market. The only chink in this argument is that a 7" tablet (running RT) makes a lot of sense for MS's OEMs too and that is something that they would most likely be loathed to let go. So, that brings MS's OEMs back against MS (if there was such an adversarial posture between them in the first instance). Regardless, I can't see MS letting the RT platform go. If anything, based on the bits and pieces that I am reading and hearing, they may actually implement RT on phones (but that will be a few years down the line).

mitchellvii

Leaving aside the decision of your GF, MS focusing on the RT - like you and I speculated in some of our previous posts - makes a lot of sense. As I see it, if they are able to sharpen their offering in that segment, they will be able to create a significant space for themselves in the tablet market. The only chink in this argument is that a 7" tablet (running RT) makes a lot of sense for MS's OEMs too and that is something that they would most likely be loathed to let go. So, that brings MS's OEMs back against MS (if there was such an adversarial posture between them in the first instance). Regardless, I can't see MS letting the RT platform go. If anything, based on the bits and pieces that I am reading and hearing, they may actually implement RT on phones (but that will be a few years down the line).

Yep, if MS focuses in on RT devices and leaves the high end space to their partners, they can really turn out some quality kit, especially with Exynos 5 and Snapdragon 8 coming down the pike for future models. With that type of cpu and basically no competition in the space and the right price-point, the Surface RT could become the tablet of choice for college students. (Wouldn't hurt if MS added a pen to the RT).

kristalsoldier

Yep, if MS focuses in on RT devices and leaves the high end space to their partners, they can really turn out some quality kit, especially with Exynos 5 and Snapdragon 8 coming down the pike for future models. With that type of cpu and basically no competition in the space and the right price-point, the Surface RT could become the tablet of choice for college students. (Wouldn't hurt if MS added a pen to the RT).

I agree that the Pen would be a key differentiating factor, if implemented well, for the RT. Irrational as it may be, but I still have a good feeling about the RT. While I have not test driven the 8.1 Preview, I think that too will help the RT platform a lot as will the Metrofication of the Office Suite.

polbit

The Pro is way more expensive, heavier, 1/2 of battery life, and loud when running under load. It's all up to the user, but for me, RT is much better.