What's new

Why should I consider the Surface RT over the Pro?

OP
A

allsabotage

I think when I weigh everything up (the price of the Pro being a huge factor) I think the better option for me would be to go with the RT, and look at replacing my current laptop. Whilst I like the idea of having one device to do everything in theory, I don't know how well that'd work out in reality. I think I'd prefer to have one device for casual internet browsing/email/etc and another for actual work (and I can always remote onto my laptop from the RT). Bottom line is I loved the form factor of the RT, and paying a lot more money for something bulkier, louder and with significantly lower battery life just doesn't seem like the right choice.

Now I'm just hoping one of the shops do an offer with a bundled touch cover, but I may be asking for too much there.

Thanks for all the insight guys.

mitchellvii

I think when I weigh everything up (the price of the Pro being a huge factor) I think the better option for me would be to go with the RT, and look at replacing my current laptop. Whilst I like the idea of having one device to do everything in theory, I don't know how well that'd work out in reality. I think I'd prefer to have one device for casual internet browsing/email/etc and another for actual work (and I can always remote onto my laptop from the RT). Bottom line is I loved the form factor of the RT, and paying a lot more money for something bulkier, louder and with significantly lower battery life just doesn't seem like the right choice.

Now I'm just hoping one of the shops do an offer with a bundled touch cover, but I may be asking for too much there.

Thanks for all the insight guys.

The "powerful laptop (or desktop) with Surface RT as accessory device" makes a lot of sense. The only caveat is you are giving up the pen (at least with the current model but excellent Bluetooth pens are coming out) and you won't have the killer screen res. If you can live with those in this big world of trade-offs your approach should work for you.

kristalsoldier

@allsabotage...That perhaps would be the rational way to think about your prospective purchases if you are not hung up about the Pen and the higher resolution (as Mitch points out). I have a similar set up (reasonably powerful desktop + RT + Nexus 10) and I am ok for the moment. While I would have liked the Pen, it has not YET made itself an essential item. I don't really need the high resolution on the Surface because most of my media viewing and intensive reading takes place on the Nexus 10 (which I am thinking of supplementing with either the new Nexus 7 or with some Android tablet (9 inch variant) with a 4:3 aspect ratio).

In my regular day to day activities, I have remote accessed my desktop a couple of times and things were fine. Most of the time, I am on the Surface connected to Skydrive (it helps to have a large storage option which I got when I signed up for Office 365 for my desktop machine). When I travel overseas - my travel kit includes the following: The Surface RT (32GB + 64GB MicroSD) + Nexus 10 + 2 8GB pen drives + one 500 GB external HDD. The last contains my music and movies and essential core documents. I use the pen drives to split up my work documents. The Nexus 10 contains 8GB worth of book s(PDF + dJvu + ePUB) and about 4-5GB of TV shows. For my music, I use my phone (currently Nokia 720) with a 16GB MicroSD.

The reason why I am laying out my kit and my use in detail is only to reiterate the point that given my particular workflow, the Surface RT serves me more than adequately.

Good luck with your purchase!

machistmo

@allsabotage - My thoughts

For the money, the Asus Transformer Prime would make you a happy camper. I recently purchased the I-5 (Pro has the same) version with a touch screen in a black aluminum finish for my Mother as a mothers day present. Its a light 2.8Lbs, has touch screen, boots in 8 seconds, and the battery last at least 7 hours. My Surface pro could not even manage 4 hours. 3.5 hours was all I was ever able to get. I would imagine that it you could find it cheaper now that several months have passed. If you don't absolutely have to buy now then I would advise you wait for the Haswell models. There will be the 6W and then the 4.5W fanless (tablet versions) coming later in the year. I know there is always something cool just around the corner, but the battery life increase alone, as much as 50% according to Intel, might just be worth the wait. I seriously think this site should support IE 10 already.

Ok so Compatibility mode FTW, forgot that for a second as its been months since my last visit.

RT = Windows Store Apps only. To date the offerings there are slim. Some of the stuff feels like 5 year olds wrote it, 4 years olds packaged it and placed on a site (windows store) designed for kids. It is improving but being resigned to it as my ONLY option for software is a deal killer. The Surface RT runs on a Tegra3 chip that's like 2 or 3 years old already. Other than that, the RT is ok and comes with the Home and Student Office which would appeal to college kids. My RT did yield 8-9 hour battery life cycles. MS has already said that 8.1 will include Outlook RT among other enhancements and that Gemini RT will be a free upgrade. The 8.1 preview has me thinking that maybe, just maybe, MAYBE, that it COULD BE POSSIBLE that MS has finally begun the process of pulling their heads out of their asses.

Pro = Don't do it. So many better options exist currently in the Ultra Book market I cannot even tell you to consider a purchase here. I recently completed a rather Arduous, 2 month return process of my Surface Pro.

Honestly the full blown Windows tablet of our dreams has yet to be invented. Its out there swirling around in some hardware engineer's head, it just does NOT exist currently. The upcoming Haswell Fanless chipset may offer hope but that remains to be seen. It boggles the mind that companies like MS can continue to get everything SO wrong.

Bottom line is that if you feel you just must have a tablet that will perform as a note-taker, email, H&S Office running device, then the RT is for you. I would HIGHLY suggest you go the extra few bucks and get the TYPE keyboard. I have owned both and HATE<HATE>HATE the touch version of the keyboard. I still don't understand where MS gets off charging what they do for either unit. I think you will agree that $130 for even the TYPE keyboard feels like you are being raped and robbed standing up with your pants on. IMHO the RT should come with the touch and offer a modest, say $30, upgrade option for the TYPE. I hope you ultimately decide on and get the unit that makes you happy.

Funny that Windows 8.1 preview includes almost EVERY single change I have been saying they should make all along. I mean I am glad to see them coming around, but honestly, if Microsoft was Startup and had to survive on the strength of Windows 8 as it was at launch with the RT and Pro offering thrown in, would Windows exist? Not that you could not say the SAME thing for Apple and OS9, don't get me wrong here, but WHOA..

Last edited:

pallentx

For me it was price and having a cooler, smaller, more portable device. Since I will not be connecting to an external screen any time soon, I don't really have any interest in legacy software on my tablet. I want a pure touch-friendly experience. RT does everything I need and costs half as much. If you must have certain traditional Windows apps, or its important to you to have the option, then your decision is made. If you're like me, why spend more to carry something chunkier and heavier for functionality you wont use?

machistmo

Well considering MS has 900 million worth of them laying around, the price should come down again soon. I would wait on the unless you must have a windows tablet right now. >Seated at my tripod, relaxed and in tune with the heavens, I drift into trance and see....< Microsoft Christmas Fire SALE - Surface RT 64Gb with Touch keyboard $249. 32GB models with Touch 199. At some point in all these obvious bong smoking sessions Microsoft is passing off as meetings, someone is going to realize that getting something back on that $900 Million dollar investment is better than nothing. Even a charitable deduction would offset the cost per unit I would think...

pallentx

Well considering MS has 900 million worth of them laying around, the price should come down again soon. I would wait on the unless you must have a windows tablet right now. >Seated at my tripod, relaxed and in tune with the heavens, I drift into trance and see....< Microsoft Christmas Fire SALE - Surface RT 64Gb with Touch keyboard $249. 32GB models with Touch 199. At some point in all these obvious bong smoking sessions Microsoft is passing off as meetings, someone is going to realize that getting something back on that $900 Million dollar investment is better than nothing. Even a charitable deduction would offset the cost per unit I would think...
If they gave them away for free, its still a win because it puts thousands more RT devices in the hands of consumers creating demand for apps. The worst thing they could do is let them sit in a warehouse and then destroy them. That may have been the MS strategy from the beginning. Make millions and try to sell them high, if that fails sell them low, but one way or the other, get them all out and in people's hands.