What's new

Why so many problems with my Surface Pro 3?

Ozy Abram

op of the line SP3 in 2016. Problem so far:

0) Machine gets very hot on every use, and often overheats eg. during upgrades

1) Had to replace typecover twice (yes, tried every software fix possible)

2) Windows upgrades usually get stuck. I need to spend days to fix it.

3) Windows crashed once and needed complete fresh install. 2 days to rebuild machine

4) When using an external monitor, it never gets the sound device right, always need to fix it.

5) Battery now lasts about 1-2 hours max. Basically not a portable machine anymore.

6) And finally, the displayport is now broken (yes, tried every software fix)

Finally I have given up on this machine. For US$2000+ I relegated to a piece of junk along with some acer, asus and other machines.

Overall I would consider this machine a poorly built dream.

My my concern is Microsoft seem to think that the user spending hours trying fixes is acceptable customer service for this kind of expensive produce.

Is it just me, or are others having similar experience on their Surface Pro?

Bazza

Wait until your Microsoft chagrer is no longer recognised by the machine!

There is a solution - buy a non microsoft charger: much cheaper and reliable.

Ryukote

0) Usually getting overheated on every use can mean anything. From my experience it is usually cause of something not working. If you are using micro SD card, try to remove it. Also (this one is from the first hand experience) if you are using external monitors with mini display to vga adapter that could be a reason. What happens to me was for that adapter to be faulty (a lot of times it was losing conection to the dock) and cause of that SP3 was overheating. I bought adapter which is not cheap from an eBay and I avoided overheating. Cause of that cheap adapter from an eBay my SP3 was overheating like a hell and I lost touch on my screen. Don't do my mistakes. Don't use cheap accessories.

6) This could also be cause of cheap adapter if you have a cheap adapter.

op of the line SP3 in 2016. Problem so far:

I am starting to experience similar issues and had to reset the Surface Pro 3 last weekend. This is annoying.

0) Machine gets very hot on every use, and often overheats eg. during upgrades

1) Had to replace typecover twice (yes, tried every software fix possible)

2) Windows upgrades usually get stuck. I need to spend days to fix it.

3) Windows crashed once and needed complete fresh install. 2 days to rebuild machine

4) When using an external monitor, it never gets the sound device right, always need to fix it.

5) Battery now lasts about 1-2 hours max. Basically not a portable machine anymore.

6) And finally, the displayport is now broken (yes, tried every software fix)

Finally I have given up on this machine. For US$2000+ I relegated to a piece of junk along with some acer, asus and other machines.

Overall I would consider this machine a poorly built dream.

My my concern is Microsoft seem to think that the user spending hours trying fixes is acceptable customer service for this kind of expensive produce.

Is it just me, or are others having similar experience on their Surface Pro?

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
0) Usually getting overheated on every use can mean anything. From my experience it is usually cause of something not working. If you are using micro SD card, try to remove it. Also (this one is from the first hand experience) if you are using external monitors with mini display to vga adapter that could be a reason. What happens to me was for that adapter to be faulty (a lot of times it was losing conection to the dock) and cause of that SP3 was overheating. I bought adapter which is not cheap from an eBay and I avoided overheating. Cause of that cheap adapter from an eBay my SP3 was overheating like a hell and I lost touch on my screen. Don't do my mistakes. Don't use cheap accessories.

6) This could also be cause of cheap adapter if you have a cheap adapter.

You hit a nail on its head with the removal of any Detachable storage devices during a Windows Update..... My SB2 and SP4 failed a few times until I actually wrote down the failure codes, looked them up & removed my detachable storage. For some reason, the latest update just doesn't like my MicroSD cards.... Worked fine once I removed them.