What's new

Why stuck with inferior cameras

NGC

I have decided that my Surface 2 is as limiting as my IPad was. I was planning on a Surface Pro 2 with 256g. But my cameras on the Surface 2 are high quality. Why did Microsoft stick with old technology from the original Surface Pro in the Surface Pro 2?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly....the Surface 2 is their Flagship Tablet. They created the Pro line because the needed to not necessarily because they wanted to...

They view the Pro line as a Business Class Machine, but isn't the future, where the Surface 2 is much more in line with trajectory they want to pursue.

daniielrp

Well, cus noone ever really needs them. The front one is good enough for video chat, and I imagine the back one is so underutilized that it made no sense to waste money on them.

bluegrass

Sacrifices inevitably have to be made and when you make a sacrifice, someone is always going to be unhappy. If you were to take a poll on how many people who purchased any Surface machine, how many of them would depend on the Surface as for taking photos. I bet not one out of 500 depend on the Surface as there camera or camcorder. The majority of us carry a smart phone in our pockets with a much better camera then is installed on any of the Surfaces.

daniielrp

Sacrifices inevitably have to be made and when you make a sacrifice, someone is always going to be unhappy. If you were to take a poll on how many people who purchased any Surface machine, how many of them would depend on the Surface as for taking photos. I bet not one out of 500 depend on the Surface as there camera or camcorder. The majority of us carry a smart phone in our pockets with a much better camera then is installed on any of the Surfaces.

Just checked my camera roll, I have not taken a single pic with my camera since getting the SP2 on release day...

tinycg

I've used my front one for google hangouts and skype chat, I've found it fine, certainly on par with everyone elses. I've used the back camera once only because I swiped the wrong direction on the lock screen and realized it opened the camera app haha. To the OP, I understand your point, but I even find cameras on larger tablets to be ridiculously inconvenient so the quality is irrelevant if they never get used. If you iPad (I have one too) had the best camera on the planet, would you still want to be "that guy" in the crowd pulling out your ipad to take a quick picture??

OP
N

NGC

Thanks everyone for your comments. Now all I need to do is satisfy myself that the Surface Pro 2 is the best full function windows 8 machine with lightness and a small footprint.

CrippsCorner

Honestly....the Surface 2 is their Flagship Tablet. They created the Pro line because the needed to not necessarily because they wanted to...

They view the Pro line as a Business Class Machine, but isn't the future, where the Surface 2 is much more in line with trajectory they want to pursue.

I hate this way of thinking :(

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I hate this way of thinking :(

It is because in the last 10 years the desktop x86 Application World has been a desert, of the top 10 x86 desktop applications both number 1 and 2 (by a long shot) are designed to pull you from the Microsoft ecosystem and those are Chrome (top by a huge margin) and i-Tunes...

The desktop while needed for Business, Professionals or Prosumers and Gamers it offers nothing but an exit of the platform for consumers. We as computer enthusiasts can lament the eventual slide of the desktop to a niche or make the Modern UI work (leaving us some vestige of the desktop) or move to Android/iOS.

Last edited:

bluegrass

Anyone who pulls out a tablet to take a picture is an absolute whopper in my opinion!

I kinda like your statement, but I must be out of date a bit. Not sure what an absolute whopper is. I get this picture of a TV ad I see all the time of a bunch of people in a meeting or something pointing their phones to take a picture. Can you see this one guy holding up his Surface to grab a shot and people in back of him yelling, "put that monster phone down". Incidentally, have you noticed that phones are getting pretty big. I'd even like to have one those Nokia 1520s. I know I might have to start carrying a purse with me for my phone though. The large screen though would be nice for this old boys eyes. "Hey, put that phone down. I can't see around it."

CrippsCorner

It is because in the last 10 years the desktop x86 Application World has been a desert, of the top 10 x86 desktop applications both number 1 and 2 (by a long shot) are designed to pull you from the Microsoft ecosystem and those are Chrome (top by a huge margin) and i-Tunes...

The desktop while needed for Business, Professionals or Prosumers and Gamers it offers nothing but an exit of the platform for consumers. We as computer enthusiasts can lament the eventual slide of the desktop to a niche or make the Modern UI work (leaving us some vestige of the desktop) or move to Android/iOS.

I understand this, maybe I'm just trying to hold on to the past! :( I got my free Surface 2 delivered yesterday and I'm almost tempted to keep it and sell my Surface Pro, I guess there's not that many .exe applications I need these days. Mainly just IRC, Audacity & Virtual DJ atm... but it's not being able to install everything, just in case!

Maybe things will change one day.