What's new

Why you should move to Surface Pro 3

DutchYee

Microsoft Surface Pro
The first thing everybody have to know is that people who like their devices never post this on the internet. The internet has one rule. Only bad guys who having problems or hating a brand or device, you read these messages around the internet. I can tell you that the most people on this forum with an Surface Pro 3 are really happy with the device.

Surface Pro 3 vs Macbook
There are a lot of things going around against the Surface Pro 3 vs Apple's Macbook. Apple costumers complaining a lot around the world about the advertisement that Microsoft is making against them. And in some point i really can get this message for them. How do you feel when another company blaming your favorite device? But for now i will tell you why i should choose an Surface Pro 3 in general.

To be first, i am an System Engineer & Microsoft Certified Professional. So i use it for working purpose and not for having fun with the touch experience. That was my first though about the device. I want an fast laptop that is light weighted and very fast.

But when it arrive at my home i was really interested in all the features comes with the Surface Pro 3. The touch is really accurate and the pen is very useful. I love the mail app and the apps that comes with the Surface. I also have an desktop with Windows 8.1 but don't use the apps. Not because it was to stupid to work with it. But the apps have a lot of functionality when it comes to travel with an Surface. No extra mail program's needed. All in one place. After all the Surface is an device with everything i need for work.

An Macbook is an very powerful device. But it does not have my requirements when it comes to hardware and performance for myself.

Microsoft Operating System Support
Microsoft support all your favorite devices. You have an Surface and an iPhone or Android device? No problem, Microsoft's favorite apps like OneDrive, OneNote, Skype are for you available. So exactly your Surface works well with Android and iOS. That sounds interesting isn't it? Besides that you got more space on OneDrive than any other cloud platform. I am already on 200gb of OneDrive space. I upload automatic my mobile pictures in OneDrive and i can view them on my Surface in a split second.

Surface Pro 3 at work

Why you should use an Surface Pro 3 for your work. My mind was blowing away. Surface Pro 3 supports
-2x 4k resolution monitor + Surface Pro 3 screen
-4x 2k resolution monitor + Surface Pro 3 screen
(Tested with i5, 256gb , 8gb RAM)
When i am done at work and coming home. Open my Surface and go further where i stopped. The work as an System Engineer is work everywhere in the world. Because it so light weighted it works well where ever you are.

Surface Pro 3 entertainment
The Surface has not the best screen out the there. But it is good enough to watch your favorite series or movie on it. But connect your Surface to an 4k television or monitor and you done!

OneNote

The pen works really good with OneNote. I am doing alot of meetings in a week. Its really handy to pick up your pen and write everything down. When you done with an meeting open your OneNote and pick all things you need or delete your complete note.

Type Cover
I am typing really fast on the keyboard. It took me 2 hours to get really used to that small keyboard. But it's goes really fast now a days.

Go everywhere you want with your Surface

When you found something that support Windows, your surface does also. No restrictions. And your Windows with SSD works really fast. It boots like 5 seconds. The Surface in sleeping mode cost me 5% of an whole night.

Conclusion
Be first i hope u got something with the information and experience i wrote down. Its to get you some information of what you can expect when you should buy. There are defently reseasons to pick up another operating system or device. I am an expert user of Windows and work every day 8 hours with it.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
TL;DR
Bottom line... get a Surface Pro 3 and use it to do everything for two weeks. Research shows it takes two weeks to form new habits.

Check the User Guide or forums if you need help to do something you cant figure out. You'll likely find you can do more with this one device than you imagined. It wont necessarily be the same way you did things before but if your using an iPad you will have to do things differently than you did before also. It takes a few hours to adapt to Windows 8.1

OP
DutchYee

DutchYee

This forum rather contradicts your very first line.

I think not, its pretty import for a lot of people who want to move. A lot of people searching for information about this device. You should check the youtube video's. Were a a lot people only blaming on the Surface. When people find this forum and topic, they can have some information about an happy costumer of this product.

TL;DR
Bottom line... get a Surface Pro 3 and use it to do everything for two weeks. Research shows it takes two weeks to form new habits.

Check the User Guide or forums if you need help to do something you cant figure out. You'll likely find you can do more with this one device than you imagined. It wont necessarily be the same way you did things before but if your using an iPad you will have to do things differently than you did before also. It takes a few hours to adapt to Windows 8.1

This has nothing to do with any of the help i need. I am just sharing my thoughts about this device. But you say people should take an device an use it for 2 weeks. People want information before they spend 1300 bucks on an device, pretty normal i think.

Grumpy2

Eveyone, and I mean everyone, should do thorough research before buying a product of any description. That includes visiting this site as well as other sites for information. That is what I did before purchasing my Sp3. As for people who buy Apple devices they are unfortunately (in my opinion) like sheep. The only reason they buy an iPhone etc is because their friends have one. As I said like sheep. I do not mean offence to ctitanic (who I believe has an iPhone) so I will say that most Apple users (not all) are like sheep. So ctitanic my apologies if my post offended. It was not intended to do that.

OP
DutchYee

DutchYee

You got a point about Apple users being following their friends and have no own idea what they buy. But the fact a lot people took an iPhone 4 or 5 is the design. In my eyes that's an really great one. I never want to get used it because the price is never worth the hardware you get.

Nitric

i went for the sp3 without reading much reviews. I just got interested looking at the specs and features and what it can do.

After i received the unit, it lived up to my expectation and definitely no regret in getting it.

Despite what some reviews said about the touch cover, its pretty decent once get used to it. Saved me from bringing a keyboard + mouse.

Grumpy2

You got a point about Apple users being following their friends and have no own idea what they buy. But the fact a lot people took an iPhone 4 or 5 is the design. In my eyes that's an really great one. I never want to get used it because the price is never worth the hardware you get.

The only reason Apple products sell so well is because Steve Jobs when he was alive was a good salesman and marketeer. And he was able to sell an overpriced heap of garbage onto guillible and unsuspecting consumers who have now become indoctriated in the Apple cult. I have an iPad2 which I was talked into buying by a close relative and I can tell you it is a useless overpriced heap of junk. I think it only has 512mb of RAM memory which is pathetic and as a result the internet keeps freezing on me. The Sp3 i7/256 on the other hand, although rather expensive, is a very zippy device. Plenty of RAM memory and although the ssd is only 256GB it can be expanded as well as storing in the cloud. A great device as far as I am concerned. I am a happy camper.

kevinlevrone

The only reason Apple products sell so well is because Steve Jobs when he was alive was a good salesman and marketeer. And he was able to sell an overpriced heap of garbage onto guillible and unsuspecting consumers who have now become indoctriated in the Apple cult.

As much as I don't care for Apple products (especially their laptops and their OS X), I think that everyone should admit the fact that Steve Jobs and his iPhone creation were the reasons why you enjoy your slick Android and Windows Phone devices today, and Steve Jobs and his iPad creation were the reasons why you enjoy your Surface Pro 3 devices today. If it wasn't for Steve Jobs, then Dell, HP, Microsoft and the others were still trying to convince you that you don't need touch screens and classic laptops are the only way of computing today. Your "smartphones" would still have physical buttons and could only be "touched" with a pen on a resistive screen. Steve Jobs cut 5+ years of technology development from the "normal" pace.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think not, its pretty import for a lot of people who want to move. A lot of people searching for information about this device. You should check the youtube video's. Were a a lot people only blaming on the Surface. When people find this forum and topic, they can have some information about an happy costumer of this product.

there are untold threads and posts all over this forum praising the SP3. Mere;y pointing out that your very first point made is incorrect, people happy with their devices frequently talk about them on the internet.

zhenya

The only reason Apple products sell so well is because Steve Jobs when he was alive was a good salesman and marketeer. And he was able to sell an overpriced heap of garbage onto guillible and unsuspecting consumers who have now become indoctriated in the Apple cult. I have an iPad2 which I was talked into buying by a close relative and I can tell you it is a useless overpriced heap of junk. I think it only has 512mb of RAM memory which is pathetic and as a result the internet keeps freezing on me. The Sp3 i7/256 on the other hand, although rather expensive, is a very zippy device. Plenty of RAM memory and although the ssd is only 256GB it can be expanded as well as storing in the cloud. A great device as far as I am concerned. I am a happy camper.

I think the sheep here is you.

A huge number of very smart people use Apple products because they have excelled at making computer products that let the computer become invisible so they can use it as a tool to do their work. Microsoft products are improving in this respect, but they tend to require far more management by the end user than the equivalent Apple product. Many hobbyists enjoy this. For most users it is maddening.

I have the SP3 because it is a unique device that happens to be a good fit for the work I do with it. However there is no question there is still a lot that is unpolished/unfinished with this device, and would never pass muster at Apple. That iPad 2 you dislike so much can still do a heap of things that the SP can't even all these years later.

malberttoo

My use of the iPhone has nothing to do with being a sheep. It is because Microsoft's offering at the time (the horrible Windows Mobile) couldn't even stay connected to an Exchange account for more than a few weeks at a time.

@DutchYee, Yes you are correct that most people only get online to complain about their devices. But I agree with @hughlle, that this is the one forum where you will find lots and lots of love and praise for the SP3!