What's new

Why you should move to Surface Pro 3

malberttoo

Also, now that we've all had a say on the Apple/sheep/ etc. comments, let's GET BACK ON-TOPIC. Start a new thread in the Off-Topic forum for more discussion about the Apple stuff, etc.

OP
DutchYee

DutchYee

@malberttoo You are right, here is a a lot of love for the device. The fact is that a lot of people coming around here to find information about this device. The fact is that you read a lot of stories about broken devices around here. That's were this forum means for. But it's also good for people to see and review for someone who has no problems around.

@hughlle What you say is in my eyes totally no the real world. Check all the YouTube videos of known people who review the SP3. The review itself is good and people like the device. But after it read the comments, its looks like the Macbook vs Surface war started over and over again. The Surface reddit are a lot Macbook users which only post shit comments about the SP3. I did some small research about this device to. But also read the comments (I dont give a damn about the comments anyway). But people who have no clue about which laptop to buy can never figure thing out when they read those comments

Nuspieds

The Surface Pro is a Windows PC, period. It's real competitors are other PC devices, not Mac devices.

No one can truly write a column or post that legitimately and effectively informs the reader as to why he/she should move from one platform to the other. The fact is, when shifting between devices on the same platform, then all you have to deal with are the nuances between the devices; on the other hand, when shifting between platforms, then you are having to deal with the nuances between the devices and platforms.

The bottom line is that the PC platform is not well-suited for everybody and, similarly, the Mac platform is not well-suited for everybody. It all boils down to the User's needs; thus, in those situations where it truly is an either/or decision, then at that point it is just a matter of comparing devices and choosing the one that the User prefers.

I'm ready to brag and boast about my SP3 and why I love it and why it works for me, but I'll never be ready to generically suggest to others to switch to my device and/or platform just because I love it and it works for me. To provide someone with a legitimate and effective recommendation requires that I first know his/her requirements.

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

The Surface Pro is a Windows PC, period. It's real competitors are other PC devices, not Mac devices.

No one can truly write a column or post that legitimately and effectively informs the reader as to why he/she should move from one platform to the other. The fact is, when shifting between devices on the same platform, then all you have to deal with are the nuances between the devices; on the other hand, when shifting between platforms, then you are having to deal with the nuances between the devices and platforms.

The bottom line is that the PC platform is not well-suited for everybody and, similarly, the Mac platform is not well-suited for everybody. It all boils down to the User's needs; thus, in those situations where it truly is an either/or decision, then at that point it is just a matter of comparing devices and choosing the one that the User prefers.

I'm ready to brag and boast about my SP3 and why I love it and why it works for me, but I'll never be ready to generically suggest to others to switch to my device and/or platform just because I love it and it works for me. To provide someone with a legitimate and effective recommendation requires that I first know his/her requirements.

True. But by that logic, no one can actually make any kind of a recommendation at all. And, in my experience, user requirements are quite fluid despite having some core requirements. For example, my core requirement is (1) a stable platform - in terms of hardware and software (2) a highly mobile device. Based on this how can one recommend any specific device and/ or OS to me?

That said, personally, the Surface line (and yes, that includes the RT devices of which I have owned and used both), is a fascinating concept - at least to me - and it is a concept and device that I think most people should try and experience (assuming one has the funds and/ or the opportunity). It is this which would lead me to recommend the Surface line (but especially the SP3) to most people who would ask me for a recommendation.

ptrkhh

That's as well partly their fault by comparing the SP3 with the MBA and iPA on stage. As a matter of fact, MS is the first one to compare the SP3 to a Mac, that's almost inviting everybody else to do the same.

Nuspieds

True. But by that logic, no one can actually make any kind of a recommendation at all.
No, not true.

In my post I am simply stating that you cannot legitimately and effectively tell someone why he/she should move from device/platform A to device/platform B without knowing his/her requirements. For example, I'm a Windows platform person and prior to the Surface Pro, the only Windows PC I preferred to buy was a ThinkPad. Yes, I paid more for it than a comparable PC device but, to me, it was worth it because of ThinkPad-specific features/functionality.

Do I recommend a ThinkPad? Of course I do! But I'd never write a column or post with the subject "Why you should move to the ThinkPad" without knowing someone's requirements; rather, the subject of my column or post would be something like "Why I Believe the ThinkPad is the Perfect Laptop" or "How I Successfully Switched to a ThinkPad."

You can praise (or criticize) a device and you can praise (or criticize) a platform, no problem; but you cannot legitimately and effectively state that someone should move from device/platform A to device/platform B without knowing their requirements. Critiquing a device/platform and concluding with a recommendation (i.e., buy/do not buy) is perfectly legitimate and effective because your recommendation is based on your overall critique of the device's/platform's features. Those who are interested in the device/platform can read your review, give weight to the respective features based on their needs, and then make an informed decision. However, you cannot legitimately and effectively tell me to move that that device/platform without knowing my needs.

As an example, I've read so many horrible criticisms of the Mail app--all perfectly understandable and legitimate--but y0u know what? Does not apply to my Use Case. How I use the Mail app works for me but there's no way I'd generically write an article stating why you should abandon your existing app and move to the Mail app; rather, I'd tell you my likes/dislikes about it, how I use it, and why I recommend it--then you can make an informed decision as to whether your not you want to move to it.

Nuspieds

That's as well partly their fault by comparing the SP3 with the MBA and iPA on stage. As a matter of fact, MS is the first one to compare the SP3 to a Mac, that's almost inviting everybody else to do the same.
I agree and I'm convinced the only reason they are doing it is because they do not want to offend the OEMs--the very partners they depend on to build up the Windows ecosystem.

Stating that the Surface Pro can replace a PC device is one thing; stating that it can replace a device with another platform is definitely another thing. I'm not saying that the latter is not true or possible; rather, just that the bar is higher for such a claim, so one needs to be more careful and thoughtful before making such a decision.

lparsons21

These kind of discussions can get away from the topic quite easily. I have an SP3 that I got yesterday to replace my SP1 and it is a great move up from that. But I also have a MacBook Pro and iPad Air 2 and they are wonderful in their own right.

Apple's big leg up overall is their ecosystem. Just slick and getting slicker with each new version of OSX and iOS. Handoff and Continuity are very nice, and most MS apps for iOS are better in many ways than they are on Windows Phone and even Windows itself.

The reality is that the Apple and MS ecosystems can interoperate in many ways which makes it a cross-platform world more and more.

TheJokker

I just upgraded from a SP2 to the SP3 and I am very happy about the improved touch keyboard (love the new right/left buttons!!) and the larger screen display. IMO it is vastly superior to anything on the market.

The Surface Pro is like a hairy, nasty sport bike while non-Windows/Intel products are like cute little Mopeds. I'll take my tablet with black leather...

ptrkhh

The Surface Pro is like a hairy, nasty sport bike while non-Windows/Intel products are like cute little Mopeds. I'll take my tablet with black leather...
While I know that some Wintel tablets are nasty, the SP series, especially the SP3 is definitely far from that word.