What's new

Wi-Fi booster...

CrippsCorner

I've had it! The internet has slowed to a snail's pace in my bedroom... I've been tethering from my iPhone's 4G connection which is great but I've got 17 days until it resets and only 2Gb left now.

So, I think it's time for me to invest in a Wi-Fi booster. I don't know anything about these, could anyone recommend a good one!?

Thanks.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I bought a new router that cleared up my dead spaces, I went with the Netgear R7000 AC Router and have been very happy with it. It is pricey but an extender is typically $80-100 USD and this router was $200 USD.

If you are going to get a extender, it works best getting one from the same manufacturer that made your Router, setup tends to be straightforward.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Hey thanks for the recommendation, looks great. However this problem has escalated massively over the weekend.

I bought a Wi-Fi booster and it made no difference... at this point my connection was okay but after checking Speedtest.net I was noticing my connection would drop to around 0.05Mb/s (or even lower in some cases) and then either stay there for a while or come back up. I tried updating the adapter drivers, rolling them back, disconnecting bluetooth accessories, rebooting the router etc. nothing worked. Left it overnight and in the morning it was completely dead, can't load any website up etc.

I'm borrowing a router off someone at work to see if it makes any difference. If not I don't know where to look next, maybe my actual phone line? Very strange... no internet sucks!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Ouch....I found that by disabling any of QoS settings (even on my new router) I was able to get better throughput and speed.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

You know I'd never even heard of QoS. Just went and read a bit about it... what settings would you recommend? I just browse on my Surface and a bit of YouTube or online radio, but I do stream TV over my PS3.

D1vad

Curious do you have a dual band router? Just adding a wireless repeater to a single band router is NOT going to get you higher speeds in most cases, in my experience. The repeater becomes a bottle neck in that case. If you are interested in maximum throughput with a single band router you need to add a wired access point, to both increase range and speed.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You know I'd never even heard of QoS. Just went and read a bit about it... what settings would you recommend? I just browse on my Surface and a bit of YouTube or online radio, but I do stream TV over my PS3.

I found, specifically with the Marvell Chipset, that any setting that related to Video or Voice Traffic getting preference caused a huge degradation of throughput, my Video and Voice Traffic are actually working better without any of the QoS settings enabled.