What's new

Solved Wi-Fi Doesn't Connect Properly on Resume from Hibernation

DavidZ

For the last 2 or 3 weeks, my SP4 doesn't connect properly upon resuming from hibernation on my home network router. It's not a big deal because I just disconnect and reconnect and everything is fine.

Since I've owned my SP4 for just more than a year and this problem just started about 2 or 3 weeks ago, did this arise from a recent update? Is there a fix?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@DavidZ

This does not happen to me, but the issue was known to affect Surface 3 Atom users some time ago. Because it has happened only recently, a list of culprits comes to mind:

1) Software that becomes resident (TSR, terminate and stay resident), which can interrupt power management. Check your recently-installed non-app software.
2) Other services interfering with power management. Start Task Manager, and visit the Startup tab. These services run every time your SP4 is operating. Make sure you are aware of all items on the list, and their source.
3) Communication software such as Logmein or other VPN or VNC software which may interfere with networking or power management.
4) Peripherals such as flash memory connected to the SP4 or its dock which could be drawing power during hibernation.

If nothing is found to fix the problem, we will join with you on this forum to watch the issue, and hopefully, an update will remedy.

OP
D

DavidZ

I found the solution to this problem in this MS community article. The fix is to go to Device Manager > Wi-Fi Adapter > Properties > Power Management and uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." The article applies to Win 8, but it solved my Win 10 problem.

Last edited: