What's new

Wi-Fi Security - New device installed on public network

MMU

While browsing the "PC Settings" under "devices" I noticed I had a new device installed on my MS Surface Pro called "Lee s pad" (it has a computer icon). When I touch the icon it says it was installed on a WiFi network I use a few days ago. I do not know Lee.

Should this be possible? Do I need to change my settings?

Thanks.

OP
M

MMU

You might have accidentally paired with a device .. you can remove it from the list if not used.

Is there any potential harm from pairing with another device (assuming I have no reason to trust that the intentions are good)? How likely is it that two devices would pair without anyone intending them to pair?

Are there settings I can adjust so this does not continue to happen?

Thanks!

tonyz3

I am not sure but I believe when you connected you should have received notification to allow sharing or not which I think would have prevented this. I could be mistaken. I usually tether to my cell so I don't often connect to public wifi.

OP
M

MMU

I don't recall receiving any sort of notification. I think I would remember something like that. The Windows networking security options seem very complicated and yet they only have bare bones explanations as to what each setting actually does. I don't see how anyone but an IT security professional could feel confident their computer was secure.