What's new

WiFi chip on the SP2?

zejaca506

For those lucky enough to have their hands on a SP2, could they let us know what model the WiFi chip is?

For the record, the SP1 had the following (IMHO terrible) chipset:
Marvell Avastar 350n (chip is 88w8797, Marvell - Wireless - Avastar 88W8797)
I personally have no end in problems with this chip as I keep having limited connectivity issues with it on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands, on 8 and 8.1. I RMAed the first SP1 for that reason, second one showed the same issues, but somewhat less frequently.
It runs on the USB 3.0 bus and also has a lack of WiFi Direct, Wireless Display and other Intel specific features.

Otherwise, the speeds are ok for wireless, (8MB/s on both bands, at 0.5m from router)

deldalton

zejaca506. I'm at work at the moment and, unfortunately, don't have my SP2 with me. If you haven't received any further responses with the answer you're looking for by this evening I'll check and let you know.

For now (although I appreciate it's not much to go on), I can tell you that I had no problem with my wireless network connectivity yesterday at all.

Zuldan

I can confirm the SP2 uses the exact same wifi chip. Im trying to determine if it has the same issues as the SP1. Nothing so far,

jovopham

I bought 2 128gb Surface Pro 2's yesterday for my wife and I. We could be perfectly happy them except that the WIFI is not reliable. Our old laptops connect fine where we are, but it took forever to connect on the new SP2's. My wife's finally started working okay, but mine only seems to be connected to the net when in sleep mode (background download). When I start using it, the internet stops. If I am really close to the router I am okay, but since we bought the SP2's because we are on the road a lot we will not always have perfect internet. We did all the windows updates and all the trouble shooting we could think of. Anyone else having problems? Thinking of taking them back to Best Buy and just keeping our old laptops a little longer. Maybe SP3 will be perfect!

Crimson Idol 8

Thanks for these.

Side note for every one new to the Surface, the only time I've ever had wireless issues was when on battery. This was remedied by ensuring that in my advanced power settings, for whichever power plan I'm using, that the wireless adapter settings were set for Maximum Performance. Problems are now very, very rare.

Attachments

• wireless.PNG
    wireless.PNG
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,379

olimjj

For those lucky enough to have their hands on a SP2, could they let us know what model the WiFi chip is?

For the record, the SP1 had the following (IMHO terrible) chipset:
Marvell Avastar 350n (chip is 88w8797, Marvell - Wireless - Avastar 88W8797)
I personally have no end in problems with this chip as I keep having limited connectivity issues with it on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands, on 8 and 8.1. I RMAed the first SP1 for that reason, second one showed the same issues, but somewhat less frequently.
It runs on the USB 3.0 bus and also has a lack of WiFi Direct, Wireless Display and other Intel specific features.

Otherwise, the speeds are ok for wireless, (8MB/s on both bands, at 0.5m from router)

I have been fortunate to not having any long term problems with my SP1 wireless. I have ordered the SP2 but I have not yet received so I cannot comment directly on this yet. However it has been my experience that often the Router and/ or modem is an equal culprit. What I do periodically is to disconnect from power both the router and the cable modem to reset them. It I not unlike having to reboot your cable box once in a while when it acts up. Those Glitch Golbins can be nasty sometimes. Anyway it wont hurt to do this once in awhile. YRMV :)

BillJ

My SP2 has the Marvell Avastar 350N, but the driver is version 14.69.24044.150, and the "update" says this is the most recent driver.
I am getting at least 20-30% faster download/upload speeds on my WiFi compared to the SP1. I have not had any problems with "limited" access or lost connection.

mitchellvii

I don't have any wireless issues. But I'm curious, how do k install the cab file download for this latest driver?

A .cab file is basically just a .zip file. You extract it using the built in Windows utility or some other zip compression tool. Remember where you unzipped it to then point to that folder when you update the driver.