What's new

WiFi connection problems

john4647

Surface Go, about 2 years old.
Not had any problems with my home Wifi until just recently.
Every time I boot up my Surface Go, it will not automatically connect to my Wifi, although I have set it to do so. When I run the MS trouble shooter, I am instructed to switch of my router for 10 seconds and then switch back on.
This works great and I can connect to the Internet.
However next time I boot up my Surface Go, the same problem (and cure) occurs.
My desktop computer is not affected in this way, so I assume my problem is with the Surface Go rather than my router.
Any advice welcomed

OP
J

john4647

Since you have had no suggestions from fellow Surface Go owners, I will suggest this as a possible fix:
Thanks for the reply. I tried this again (I had done this earlier) but sadly it made no difference.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Okay. Next step is to see if Windows 10 updated your driver unnecessarily, improperly, or counter-productively. Choose a previous driver by following the pictures below. If this does not work, then let Windows 10 search automatically to choose a driver automatically rather than browse your computer. This will put back the most recent version.

I hope this is helpful.

One.jpg

two.jpg

three.jpg

four.jpg

OP
J

john4647

Hello Sharpuser,

Thanks again for your reply.
I tried selecting the older driver (there were only 2) but to no avail.

jake_paul

Uninstall the network adapter driver and restart

If the previous steps didn’t work, try to uninstall the network adapter driver, and then restart your computer. Windows will automatically install the latest driver. Consider this approach if your network connection stopped working properly after a recent update.

Before uninstalling, make sure you have drivers available as a backup. Visit the PC manufacturer’s website and download the latest network adapter driver from there. If your PC can't connect to the internet, you'll need to download a driver on a different PC and save it to a USB flash drive so you can install the driver on your PC. You’ll need to know the PC manufacturer and model name or number.

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type Device Manager, and then select Device Manager from the list of results.
  2. Expand Network adapters, and locate the network adapter for your device.
  3. Select the network adapter, and then select Uninstall device > the Delete the driver software for this device check box > Uninstall.
  4. After uninstalling the driver, select the Start button > Power > Restart.
    After your PC restarts, Windows will automatically look for and install the network adapter driver. Check to see if that fixes your connection problem. If Windows doesn't automatically install a driver, try to install the backup driver you saved before uninstalling.

I Hope this helps you solve the problem being faced by you.

OP
J

john4647

Hello,
Thanks for your reply.

I had tried this previously. It just reverts to the later driver (there are only 2 listed).

I have tried both drivers but this does not make any difference.

Regards.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
In Device Manager look at the properties of your network adapter
Qualcomm Atheros ... I believe.
On the Advanced tab try different settings for
Dynamic MIMO Power Save - Disable*
Roaming Aggressiveness - 3 medium*

* my settings.

Make sure your Router Firmware is up to date.

If that doesn't work try a USB WiFi adapter to see if that corrects the problem.
This ac1200 one is really good. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY7PL10 The nano size keeps it out of the way.
I used it all the time on an old Surface 3 and disabled the internal wifi adapter.

OP
J

john4647

Hello,

I will follow your advice over the next few days, however my desktop and all of the smart phones and a tablet don't have this problem.

More information:

When I reboot the router, I am then able to access the internet on my Surface.

If I turn of the Surface and try to re-connect on the same day, all is well.

The following day I get "unable to connect to this network".

Then (next day) I have to reboot the router again.

All of this time the Desktop and Smartphones are unaffected.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hello,

I will follot's w your advice over the next few days, however my desktop and all of the smart phones and a tablet don't have this problem.

More information:

When I reboot the router, I am then able to access the internet on my Surface.

If I turn of the Surface and try to re-connect on the same day, all is well.

The following day I get "unable to connect to this network".

Then (next day) I have to reboot the router again.

All of this time the Desktop and Smartphones are unaffected.
Just like anything else router patches may be for problems with specific chipsets & drivers and it's likely your desktop and phone don't use Qualcomm Atheros but something else. There can also be settings in the router that may affect it. It's just one of the possibilities. Search for router issues with the model router you have see what comes up, sometimes you get lucky.

Of course, you may not find anything ... Such was my case and why I used the Nano USB Adapter which solved my problem. The driver for that is baked into Windows so it will work within seconds of plugging it in.

Just out of curosity what router make & model do you have?

Last edited:
OP
J

john4647

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

My router is Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.289.1.1 |

When you say "Search for router issues" I presume you mean Google it to see if there are problems elsewhere?

Regards.

petergroft

Internet & network
Unplug the router and modem's power cords from the power outlet for 15 seconds.
Plug the power cords back in.
Check that all cords and cables are secure at both ends.
Wait a few minutes, until the lights on the modem and router are working right. (See the device manual or manufacturer's support site.)

Hope You Find This Useful,
Peter