What's new

Wifi disconnects when plugging in USB to HDMI

Zkyevolved

Hello everyone! I'm having an issue, and I don't know how to fix it. I got a USB 3.0 to HDMI adapter so I can just have 1 long USB cable running to a hub to plug in everything to my classroom (I'm a teacher) and project the sound, video, and have the USB presenter plugged in, etc. As soon as I plug in the HDMI cable to the adapter, my wifi doesn't work. Sometimes it has an X in it, sometimes it says it's trying to connect, but it doesn't work. It's funny because it only happens when the cable is plugged in, and it's a little indifferent to the adapter.

I can manually try to connect to the router, but it just won't connect. Sometimes it will say it's trying to connect as well as asking for the key to connect. I've had this behavior also on a docking station with the same idea - usb to hdmi (and many other ports). The funny thing is, I tried it on my old Surface Pro 2 and it worked FINE! It's only the Surface Pro 4!

Any ideas?

Thanks!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
RF Interference is the likely culprit. Try shielding the HDMI cable with some good ol tin foil. or get a better shielded HDMI adapter cable. It's also possible the USB cable/hub is at fault and it's just exacerbated by the HDMI.

It might work if the usb cable was longer so that the HDMI was further away although that's something I read on Reddit, it could just as easily become a really huge antenna and be worse.

Sasquatch

USB3 devices do this on the surface 4 its well documented. May need a longer extension. What else works is putting the device in not all the way but just enough until it connects - not all the way though.

Crazy issue but hundreds of posts over at Microsoft about this one, its really annoying.

OP
Zkyevolved

Zkyevolved

Hi. I just wanted to add one thing. The same setup but with the official mini dvi cable adapter doesn't cause the same issue with the same cables and everything.

I can plug in the sp4 to the mini dvi to HDMI adapter to the same HDMI cable and everything is fine. I thought I could minimize the cables leading to the surface by getting the USB hdmi adapter to lead everything to one hub and let that hub handle the audio, and presenter.... But with dvi it works fine, but as soon as I throw into the mix the USB to hdmi adapter. It turns off.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I believe Spock would say that's illogical. DVI - hdmi is not the same as USB - hdmi, those connections are not the same. USB RFI is present when the USB connection is active and obviously not present when using DVI.

Becosemsaida

Don't forget that you have a limit that you can draw from the USB port....... Too many devices will give you a lot of problems.

Even if the USB hub is powered you still have to think about the data flow with what you connect. Maybe the USB-DVI is just too much for the surface to handle through the USB hub.

There was a thread i read about someone connecting devices to a hub and hos surface just couldn't handle it, after disconnecting some stuf all worked..... I will post it here as soon as i remember where i read it.......... Coffeeeeeeeeee pleaseeeeee

Becosemsaida

Using the port on the Surface you are absolutely right BUT using a USB-HDMI adapter things change imho.......... Using it with a USB hub is even more helping to get nothing working on the Surface.

Yes i had my coffee but couldn't find the post yet !!!!!