What's new

Wifi Issue

depakjan

I have the usual wifi issue where in surface pro only gets 2-3 mbps speed, yes my router only supports 2.4ghz mode.. but the unusual thing is, i have this other router which i borrowed that supports both 2.4ghz and 5ghz modes.. in that router if i connect even to the 2.4ghz access point i get the intended speeds ? how come .. i thought surface pro has some issues with the 2.4ghz modes.. this is weird.. any way to fix this ? i have tried the registry edit method, updates , all sorts of thing.. nothing works with my router .. i have a NetGear WNR3500L V2 btw.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I have a Comcast Xfinity X1 modem/router, which also only supports 2.4 GHz like the OP. Speed was poor using it.
As with @kayzee, I connected an Apple Airport Express to that router with an Ethernet cable, then configured new 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz networks.

Here's the result with my Surface Pro 3. 100X the speed. Really.
Note that upload speed does not vary much.
Your results will vary ;)

SP3 using Comcast Xfinity X1 router/modem, 2.4 GHz
speedtest_X1_2.4.jpg

With Apple Airport Express router connected to the X1 router/modem via Ethernet cable, 5.0 GHz
speedtest_X1_AAE_5.0.jpg

OP
D

depakjan

GreyFox7 - Sorry i forgot to mention, all my other devices (4 laptops and 2 phones) connect to this router and they all get correct speeds, only surface craps out.

Wow there is no other way other than new router or Apple AirPort Express , after 2 years MS did not fix it?, so its a hardware issue... wow i feel sorry for people buying new ones for 800 - 900$ , i only bought a used one, thought that was the problem first .... will just get a new router .. apple airport express is costly

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The router is an open source router, old & out of support from Netgear, based on draft standards. The trouble with draft standards is you can get stranded in no mans land. NetGear WNR3500LV2 poor performance is not unique to Surfaces. The issue is likely due to incompatibilities with chipsets as discussed elsewhere on the net. As it was designed for Open Source you might have better luck with Open Source Firmware and Netgear likely didn't expend a lot of effort on the stock firmware. If that's not your cup of tea, you should steer clear of Open Source Routers.