What's new

Wifi on Battery

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Some are having luck rolling back the driver, the firmware Updated the driver and seemed to introduce a bug on AC Routers and some 5GHz "N" Routers....

I was having issues but they were resolved with a Firmware Update on my R7000 and a reboot on my SP3.

double07

With new SP3, I don't think people can recommend turning off Bluetooth any more. You need that for the pen. Unless, you are not using the pen ever. Beside, I don't see issue with both Bluetooth and Wifi at the same time. I use the pen all the times. In fact, it is one of the reason I got this surface.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It is the Power Management on the updated WiFi Driver.... killing Bluetooth will negate the Pen and also cause errors in Connected Standby (potentially preventing it from working).

DanL

It is the Power Management on the updated WiFi Driver.... killing Bluetooth will negate the Pen and also cause errors in Connected Standby (potentially preventing it from working).

Jeff, In one of your other posts on this subject you mentioned after updating R7000 firmware all was well and the WiFi ramped up as needed. Does the SPro3 just show the reduced WiFi speed at idle and increase speed as needed under load?
If that's the case this really isn't an issue.

benjitek

...does the SPro3 just show the reduced WiFi speed at idle and increase speed as needed under load?
If that's the case, an online speed-test should give you a better idea. My Verizon FiOS service is rated at 50 Mbps up/25 Mbps down. On my SP2, I test around 25/25 with Bluetooth off, with it on I test around 10/20. On my 3 year old ASUS laptop, speed test results are consistently 50/25, regardless of Bluetooth setting.

I've read this is an issue with the Avastar 350N combo Bluetooth/WiFi chip used in the SP1 & SP2 -- not sure what they used in the SP3.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Speediest.net...SP3 on battery connected 5GHz AC Bluetooth enabled

Comcast Residential 50Mbps downstream 8Mbps upstream

This is consistent with my SP2 and S2

Last edited: