What's new

Wifi on Battery

DanL

I just ran the same test and got 34.58Mbps down and 11.69Mbps up on battery power with Comcast residential 50. This was wireless N 2.4. The control panel network sharing center is showing 16Mbps at idle so it does ramp up under load.

be77solo

Interesting... just ran a speedtest.net test, and did get my full download speed (35Mbps) on battery, despite showing a 6Mbps connection that did ramp up a bit to 58Mbps during the download portion of test. The upload portion however is still much slower on battery... plugged in I'm right at 5Mbps, what I always get on all devices; upload speed however is only 1.1Mbps on the SP3 when on battery.

This is using whatever drivers were installed during Windows Update and using an updated Netgear R7000 5.0ghz AC network.

Klownicle

I'm testing it now myself, not sure if the guid are the same but here's the command.

powercfg -setdcvalueindex 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e 19cbb8fa-5279-450e-9fac-8a3d5fedd0c1 12bbebe6-58d6-4636-95bb-3217ef867c1a 000

Btw, this setting only affects wireless power saving to force it max performance when on dc power which replicates the same setting as ac power mode. Confirm the setting change before and after with 'powercfg /q | more' and it should show on the first page.

EMINENT

I am not having any wifi issues. My router is just a g speed anyways and I get almost my full isp's 12 Mbps. that we subscribe to. It was more like 10-high 11's and this is Bluetooth on and I tested both while charging and on battery.

scfoster

I'm having wi-fi issues both with battery or connected to power. Just got off the phone with MS Support and the tech told me they are aware that there are wi-fi "issues". She put me on hold for a while and came back and told me a fix was in the works.

With the SP3 sitting next to my Macbook Air, the download/upload speeds over wireless are half the Macbook speeds. The Macbook has full bars and the SP3 has 3 bars. So there is an issue.
We did the wi-fi driver uninstall then reboot. That seemed to help a little.

She did tell me I have 45 days to return the SP3. Would rather not as I do like the form factor.

benjitek

She did tell me I have 45 days to return the SP3. Would rather not as I do like the form factor.
It's good you have the safety-net of time to return it. It might be worth considering, maybe revisit the device once they come out with the 2nd-gen version of the SP3.

Klownicle

I'm testing it now myself, not sure if the guid are the same but here's the command.

powercfg -setdcvalueindex 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e 19cbb8fa-5279-450e-9fac-8a3d5fedd0c1 12bbebe6-58d6-4636-95bb-3217ef867c1a 000

Btw, this setting only affects wireless power saving to force it max performance when on dc power which replicates the same setting as ac power mode. Confirm the setting change before and after with 'powercfg /q | more' and it should show on the first page.

Although the sleep issue is still present and the latency still appears to be somewhat of an issue. After using this to work this evening remotely, I can confirm the overall connection is ten-fold better with this setting. FYI to this interested to try this out, by setting 000 to be 002 it reverts to the original setting.