What's new

WiFi setup question

Wanda Thomas

I received my SurfacePro3 (i7/512) and set it up as a brand new computer (did not transfer any files). It is replacing a laptop which ran either Windows 7 or 8.1. I used the laptop to teach computer classes for seniors at the University Extension center. When I setup the SP3 here at home, it knew about a wifi network that does not have it's SSID advertised and the password to access that network. When I went to the University, it knew the WiFi settings and password to get on their network. I'm sure this is a windows issue more than an SP3, but I was not aware I was storing network IDs and passwords in the cloud. I need to know how that is happening so that I do not continue to have that information available. I did re-use my Microsoft account and am thinking that is the culprit, but do not see any options to not store that info and share among all computers. And help/directions to the proper forum on instructions would be appreciated.

UltraDroid

Welcome to the forum! I am not a technician, so I can't give you any useful advice, but if you can hang on for a bit we'll see what our really knowledgeable members have in the way of advice for you. :)

DanL

Hi Wanda, welcome to the forum. That is strange indeed. I have to ask, are you 100% sure it was set up as a new computer? Even doing a windows reset on my SP3 requires me to enter new WiFi passwords.

Also, if you were to post this question in the SP3 forum it might get more attention.

leeshor

Also, if you were to post this question in the SP3 forum it might get more attention.
You could be correct but this problem doesn't sound like it is SP3 specific so I'm leaving it here. Hopefully someone has an answer.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think this can be controlled with the OneDrive Sync settings.
Swipe from the right, settings, Change PC Settings
Select: OneDrive, Sync settings
Scroll down to the 'Other Settings' category, passwords OFF.

It says: My sign in info for some apps, websites, networks, and Home group.

It would be nice IF there was more granularity to that. maybe somewhere deeper there is... but I don't know where yet.

Anything misspelled has likely been auto corrected for your protection.

OP
Wanda Thomas

Wanda Thomas

I think GreyFox7 has nailed it. Will test further and post more if necessary. I hope Microsoft gets a heads up on this and what a security breach it could be. I checked OneDrive (not settings) and did not see any indication it was being saved there, but it is buried in the settings so deeply, no one would know to even check there. And if it is being saved on OneDrive, shouldn't I be able to see it somewhere??? Are my own networks & passwords being hidden from me?

I just find it ironic that if I delete a file, I'm asked to verify that I really want to do that (even though it's available in the recycle bin), but network access names and passwords are being saved and stored in the cloud and I'm never told to verify that action. I'm all for cloud storage but have refrained from storing passwords there, or so I thought......

Thanks all for helping with this; it's much appreciated.

nnthemperor

I received my SurfacePro3 (i7/512) and set it up as a brand new computer (did not transfer any files). It is replacing a laptop which ran either Windows 7 or 8.1. I used the laptop to teach computer classes for seniors at the University Extension center. When I setup the SP3 here at home, it knew about a wifi network that does not have it's SSID advertised and the password to access that network. When I went to the University, it knew the WiFi settings and password to get on their network. I'm sure this is a windows issue more than an SP3, but I was not aware I was storing network IDs and passwords in the cloud. I need to know how that is happening so that I do not continue to have that information available. I did re-use my Microsoft account and am thinking that is the culprit, but do not see any options to not store that info and share among all computers. And help/directions to the proper forum on instructions would be appreciated.
Hi guys, first post on this forum. Just found out about it and registered immediately. Being a member of the tabletpcreview forums for a long time though.
I wanted to say that exactly the same thing happened to me as I setup my surface i3 version. In my case though I choose to transfer my account from a previous win 8.1 PC. Was really surprised when it remembered my Wi-Fi settings. Windows has almost become a real cloud OS. I love it though.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It is Synced across devices, using an encrypted and hidden location on your OneDrive, this allows you to have the same WiFi connections across all of your Windows 8.x/RT and Windows Phone 8.x devices....

Bitlocker keys are also stored on an encrypted folder on your OneDrive.

OP
Wanda Thomas

Wanda Thomas

I'm not questioning the security of it, but it seems odd that IE asks every time if you want passwords stored and OneDrive never asks you. To most people it is a convenience and not an issue, but I have a network with a hidden SSID for a reason and did not want it propagated. One Drive asks if you want to store Documents, Pictures, etc. It should include Passwords as an option as well. Just my $.02 worth.