What's new

WIFI using excessive bandwidth issue?

karl

Hi guys,

anybody else facing this issue where the pro 3 is hogging a lot of bandwidth?

I'm talking abt when watching youtube videos, slowing down my whole office's internet speeds.

Another example is my colleague downloading LOTRO at 20mbps, while I got max 3mbps - SAME connection. FUrther, when I was downloading, the internet speeds slowed down tremendously, while for in the other situation there was hardly any slowdown.

Thanks for your help guys!

double07

I use QOS in my router. This will prevent bandwidth hog. as far as 3mbps goes, make sure you are not suffering from known wifi while on battery issue on SF3.

bluegrass

Of course you talking about an office environment where everyone shares the same wifi and not your own individual wifi. I really doubt it's a Surface issue. The wifi router controls what bandwidth is dished out to each of it's connections. You should ask him to stop and let you get on first and than have him get on and both of you download the same thing only you start first and see what happens.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It would also help to know which router and firmware the device is using. Does the Router Support AC and is the SP3 the only AC device on the network, what are the other machines on the Network? Windows 8.x handles WiFi Connections differently from Windows 7 and earlier....

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks guys!

I'm connected, so its not the battery issue.

kinda strange..
Actually I thought this was a connected standby issue.. I believe you could enter connected standby even plugged in if you idle for a while. there's supposed to be a wireless update coming in Sept.

A Network capture might reveal something and you may need one from both sides to get the full picture.

Is that a Wireless AC router? Wireless N?
What's the connected bandwidth listed for your connection compared to others? and Signal strength?

OP
K

karl

Listed bandwidth is 144mbps, Signal strength is 4 bars. I believe i'm on an ASUS wireless AC router. Quite a new one too.

I don't think it gets to standby as i'm actively surfing other sites while the youtube video is playing, and it slows down massively!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Listed bandwidth is 144mbps, Signal strength is 4 bars. I believe i'm on an ASUS wireless AC router. Quite a new one too.

I don't think it gets to standby as i'm actively surfing other sites while the youtube video is playing, and it slows down massively!
If it is an AC Router you should be connecting at 300 Mbps on 2.4GHz with a SP3, 144Mbps looks like Wireless "N"....

I have 12 Devices connected to my Netgear R7000 AC Router:

3 Hard Wired to Gigabit
- Intel NUC HTPC
- Xbox One
- NAS
3 on 5GHz AC
- 3x SP3
3 on 5GHz N
- 3x Windows Phones
3 on 2.4GHz N
- Xbox One
- Lenovo Laptop
- Bedroom HTPC

We are heavy bandwidth users across the board

OP
K

karl

Wireless N then. I'm not sure as the router is not visible since I'm in a serviced office environment. Either way, I believe the ISP provided speed is 25mbps so 144 or 300 is moot.

We have about 10 computers connected to the router at least.
The speed listed today is 130mbps.

Again, the issue seems to be that whenever I'm downloading things, whether youtube videos or torrents or other downloads, the overall speed of everyone else's internet surfing slows down drastically. Anybody have suggestions on what I can do to figure out why this happens?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If you can change the Router Settings, I would suggest you limit your downloading to off-hours or get a download client that will allow you to limit the bandwidth your machine uses.