What's new

Will a "refresh" give me a clean Win10 or revert to Win8?

DocACE911

I upgraded long ago to Windows 10 under the free offer. Right now the entire surface feels "slow", battery life seems terrible. My thought was to just do a "refresh" and start over.

However the recovery partition is still windows 8 right (that is what it care with). So if I do this, must I upgrade to win10 again? Is ti best to just use media creation toolkit and do a clean in stall from USB?

If I do that (or a refresh) will Win10 get all the correct drivers?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Clean install is the quickest way to a truly clean system. Refresh should just refresh the current OS not revert to a previous OS however I'm not sure how much of your profile is retained by retaining your files. i.e. There's a lot of garbage that collects in your profile (have a look under c:\users\userid\...) and I just don't know if they retain the whole thing or just your personal file directories. only the Factory Reset option should take you back to what's in the recovery partition which is what you want to avoid.

OP
DocACE911

DocACE911

Clean install is the quickest way to a truly clean system. Refresh should just refresh the current OS not revert to a previous OS however I'm not sure how much of your profile is retained by retaining your files. i.e. There's a lot of garbage that collects in your profile (have a look under c:\users\userid\...) and I just don't know if they retain the whole thing or just your personal file directories. only the Factory Reset option should take you back to what's in the recovery partition which is what you want to avoid.

So with a clean install will that make a new win10 recovery partition or just still keep.the windows 8 one?