What's new

Will Constantly Having USB Plugged In Drain Battery?

RH5

Decided to dive in and buy the surface rt. I just wanted to know if I leave a USB stick plugged to the RT will it drain the battery? Also is it normal for my RT to go from 30% to 6% on standby for one and a half hours (This is with all the apps closed and no usb plugged in). I just have 4 live tiles and 3 emails that push. I have not charged it since I opened the box and it was at 50% and used it for about an hour and it reached 30%.

beman39

I think because it hasn't been through its charging cycle that it drained fast, once you give a good charge it wont drop so quickly, as for the usb I'm sure it must use Some POWER BUT VERY LITTLE...

CrippsCorner

This is from the official Microsoft Surface guide...

The battery doesn’t need to be empty or low before you recharge. You can recharge the battery whenever you’d like. However, it’s best to let the battery run down at least once per month before you recharge it.

OP
R

RH5

I'm just running the default operating system it came with. I finally charged it though and I unplugged it at 11:00PM at 100% and woke up around 6:00AM so 7 hours passed and the battery went to 98%. That looks pretty good to me now though. This is prob a dumb question but is that 2% without touching the surface normal?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
2% is actually pretty amazing when you consider that in Connected Standby (S0iX) it still pulls down emails, news stories and other data (Twitter, etc.).

beman39

my god why would you be asking about a 2% decrease over nite? its so insignificant I can't believe your even asking that lol no offence but I find people need to ask questions about the littlest things that they shouldn't even be worried about...it's like they never handled anything technical in their lives! LOL with that said stop worrying about tiny things and start enjoying your RT :wink:

OP
R

RH5

my god why would you be asking about a 2% decrease over nite? its so insignificant I can't believe your even asking that lol no offence but I find people need to ask questions about the littlest things that they shouldn't even be worried about...it's like they never handled anything technical in their lives! LOL with that said stop worrying about tiny things and start enjoying your RT :wink:
lol looking back now i realize what a dumb question that was to ask lol. but anyways i'm enjoying the rt a lot and this is coming from a huge apple fanboy. I might return it though when they announce the price of the surface 2 on monday, i still have two weeks to refund :D

beman39

I wasn't saying it was a dumb question don't get me wrong...I was just pointing out that it was so insignificant to bother worrying about lol also trust me, there won't be a HUGE difference when the gen 2 comes out compared to the 1st gen RT, I'm quit certain they are exaggerating the specs of these devices...I would hold on to the RT you have now and esp. when 8.1 comes out the RT will only get better...but that's just me.

Last edited:
OP
R

RH5

Alright so I did the same thing last night with my RT left it at 32% at 11:00PM woke up at 6:00AM and the battery was 8%. A little more than 2% this time. All apps were closed in the background. Bluetooth, Wi-Fi both off. Screen brightness less than half. I don't know why it lost so much this time. I did leave it the kickstand on with the touch cover but would that make a difference? Should I leave the touch cover closed when I'm not using it?