What's new

Will Constantly Having USB Plugged In Drain Battery?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Alright so I did the same thing last night with my RT left it at 32% at 11:00PM woke up at 6:00AM and the battery was 8%. A little more than 2% this time. All apps were closed in the background. Bluetooth, Wi-Fi both off. Screen brightness less than half. I don't know why it lost so much this time. I did leave it the kickstand on with the touch cover but would that make a difference? Should I leave the touch cover closed when I'm not using it?

Are you on RT (RTM) or RT 8.1 Preview? If you are running the preview turning WiFi and Bluetooth off actually drains the battery significantly more due to the system being unable to invoke Connected Standby, so basically it ran all night.

OP
R

RH5

Are you on RT (RTM) or RT 8.1 Preview? If you are running the preview turning WiFi and Bluetooth off actually drains the battery significantly more due to the system being unable to invoke Connected Standby, so basically it ran all night.

I'm not sure I don't have the surface with me. I bought it last week, so whatever the default OS that it comes with is the one i'm on. Pretty sure it's not preview because the multitasking isn't actual split screen.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If its fresh out of the box, then you're on RTM. Have you run Windows Update from the desktop control panel? This is where all of the optional updates live. It looks like something prevented it from going into Connected Standby.

OP
R

RH5

If its fresh out of the box, then you're on RTM. Have you run Windows Update from the desktop control panel? This is where all of the optional updates live. It looks like something prevented it from going into Connected Standby.

Haven't done updates, i'll do it when I get home and see what happens. Thanks

OP
R

RH5

Haven't done updates, i'll do it when I get home and see what happens. Thanks

Alright left home at 8:00AM with battery at 76% and got home around 3:00PM and its at 50%. Just checked and its Windows RTM. Again, no apps were running, wi-fi & bluetooth both off with screen brightness at less than half. And just to confirm, you swipe the app down to close it right, like start from the top o the screen and swipe down. I'm also swiping from the left side of the screen and no apps are appearing so I assume they are all closed. I will update it now, it says it as 62 updates. Then I'll check and see overnight how it does. But what I don't understand is the first night like in my previous post I said it only went down 2% and I did the same thing the next night :mad:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
How many apps have you allowed to run in the background? Most of the News Apps want that, Twitter and RSS Readers so even if you close them their background service still is running, one or more of them are trying to download and with WiFi turned off they continually try hence by turning WiFi and Bluetooth off you are negatively impacting your battery life.

Connect Standby (S0iX) is a very different paradigm then you are used to. S0iX Systems act like Smartphones not x86 machines of old...

OP
R

RH5

i havent downloaded any apps other than what it came with. The mail app and contacts. Those are the only tiles that are moving. Also now my surface won't update i click update and it gets stuck on "Downloading updates" the blue bar doesn't move than it just gives me an error :mad:

Edit: Nvm its updating now, i dont know what was going on

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like you mail app was trying to sync desperately and couldn't ;) Also remember that the Modern UI Apps update through the Store and if you haven't updated those you have major App Updates (at 15 maybe 20).