What's new

Will having Surface always plugged in preserve battery?

chatterbot

When I'm at home at my desk....if I always have the surface plugged into the wall outlet, will this preserve my battery life over time?

I assume it doesn't matter but just checking.

Wayne Orwig

When I'm at home at my desk....if I always have the surface plugged into the wall outlet, will this preserve my battery life over time?

I assume it doesn't matter but just checking.

Generally speaking, that is about all you can do for the battery. That, and do what you can to not let it get hot.
Heat reduces the life, and cycling it reduces the life.
It is actually better for them to be hold at closer to a 50% charge too, but there is no practical way to do that. If you aren't going to use it for a month, run it down to maybe 50%, power it off, and keep it off the charger while unused.
Occasionally, maybe every other month, run the battery as low as possible to recalibrate the battery gauge, if you want. This won't help the battery life though.

CrippsCorner

I posted this in another thread but in case you didn't see it...

This is from the official Microsoft Surface guide.

The battery doesn’t need to be empty or low before you recharge. You can recharge the battery whenever you’d like. However, it’s best to let the battery run down at least once per month before you recharge it.

Arizona Willie

I keep my on the charger when not in use too and have since the day it came, about a week after they were available.
So far, the battery gauge seems to indicate full charge time is about the same as it was on day one.
It has ran down a couple of times when I didn't realize it was sleeping instead of off and forgot to plug it in.
Once it popped up a shutdown warning and then shut itself off while I was using it, and the other time when I went to turn it on it woke up with a low battery warning so I turned it off and put it on the charger.
No apparent harm as far as I can see.

Pepper

I posted this in another thread but in case you didn't see it...

This is from the official Microsoft Surface guide.
The battery doesn’t need to be empty or low before you recharge. You can recharge the battery whenever you’d like. However, it’s best to let the battery run down at least once per month before you recharge it.
Well I am way ahead of that schedule, mine runs down at least once per day because I forget to plug it in! :cool2: