What's new

Will Microsoft replace old Pro 2 with new Pro 2?

lamentofking

Hello,

I've heard about the new i5-4300u SP2s and I was wondering would microsoft replace a faulty SP2 with one with a new processor? And also do you need to purchase their $100+ warranty or can you get a replacement with the standard warranty?

kundas1

Normally they will replace it with the standard warranty, but which device you will get will be a gamble, because they normally replace your device with a refurbished one... that being said perhaps since they're probably replacing with later models your chances will be higher for getting a newer model with the 4300U... but don't quote me on that. lol

OP
L

lamentofking

Under what conditions would Microsoft provide replacements? From what I've seen, Wi-Fi issues seem to qualify. Me personally, I received mine second-hand and still have standard warranty. I did have a problem with my wifi card disappearing but it suddenly came back. I'd feel better knowing Microsoft would do a free replacement under standard warranty however I don't know if the fact that I bought it second-hand would negate any service I would receive.

leeshor

If you can provide a proof of purchase, with a date, that would be your only real shot. Buying second hand makes it iffy at best.

OP
L

lamentofking

That's the problem. I purchased it off of eBay so I would contribute my problems to that, but the fact that other surface pro 2 users have been having wifi issues would negate the fact that it is bought second hand for this issue right? I mean from what I hear Microsoft is aware of the wifi issue. As long as I'm under even a Standard Warranty, they should replace my tablet (hopefully with the i5-4300 model). The question is is it easier to get replacements at a Microsoft Store or through Microsoft's online store? The closest retail store is about 2 hours from me.

leeshor

If I were you I would make the rip to the store.

From what I have observed, first hand, I have a couple customers with SP2s and neither has had WiFi issues any differently than the other laptops they have. Yes they have had issues but where they are using their Surface I have the same issues with my Android tablet and my Lenovo laptop. If I solve it for one I'll solve it for all.

benjitek

...From what I've seen, Wi-Fi issues seem to qualify...
WiFi issues are common with the combo WiFi-Bluetooth card used in the SP2, i.e., my internet speed drops by half if I have Bluetooth & WiFi on at the same time -- try turning your Bluetooth off and see if that helps.

Ruffles

Buying from eBay should not make a difference. What you need to do is go to myservice.surface.com and register your device (assuming the previous owner removed it from their account). Once you do this, it will show how much (if any) warranty is left. Also, if you have purchased the extra MS warranty, it will show there and is associated with the serial number of the device - not the original owner - so it transfers with the device.

I went thru all this with MS when I sold my original SP on eBay. As long as I unregistered the device, they new owner was able to register it and obtain the remainder of the original warranty as well as also get the extended warranty I bought for it.

InspectHerGadget

WiFi issues are common with the combo WiFi-Bluetooth card used in the SP2, i.e., my internet speed drops by half if I have Bluetooth & WiFi on at the same time -- try turning your Bluetooth off and see if that helps.
I have observed wifi speeds dropping on my Macbook if Bluetooth is turned on, MBA 11 inch current model.

I found this out a year ago. Interestingly I did a wifi speed test on my MBA, SP2 and my SP3 last week and the MBA was consistently faster by 50%, about 70Mbps internet measured on www.speedtest.net versus about 46Mbps for the SP2 and SP3. I'd forgotten about the Bluetooth. It was turned on for the Surfaces but just found it was turned off for the MBA. I tested it again with the Bluetooth on and it reduced speed from 72 to about 40 Mbps!

kundas1

I have observed wifi speeds dropping on my Macbook if Bluetooth is turned on, MBA 11 inch current model.

I found this out a year ago. Interestingly I did a wifi speed test on my MBA, SP2 and my SP3 last week and the MBA was consistently faster by 50%, about 70Mbps internet measured on www.speedtest.net versus about 46Mbps for the SP2 and SP3. I'd forgotten about the Bluetooth. It was turned on for the Surfaces but just found it was turned off for the MBA. I tested it again with the Bluetooth on and it reduced speed from 72 to about 40 Mbps!

that's very interesting, then it's not JUST limited to the SP3 but MBA also! and does the MBA also use the Marvell adapter or another type?