What's new

Will playing Skyrim overheat/damage my Microsoft Surface Pro 2?

Siorus

I just got a Surface Pro 2 and was wondering if playing Skyrim for a few hours on low - medium settings will damage it at all? (it runs surprisingly well)

gman713

I played 3 hours straight with Marvel Lego Heroes with no issues and another hour tonight with Tomb Raider. No issues and the fans are much quieter than my MacBook Air.

OP
S

Siorus

I played 3 hours straight with Marvel Lego Heroes with no issues and another hour tonight with Tomb Raider. No issues and the fans are much quieter than my MacBook Air.

Thank you, that really helps. I'm surprised how much gaming I can get into this thing!

D

Deleted member 10837

I ran Prime95 on a Surface Pro instore and when I went back a few days later, the torture test was still running.

Last edited by a moderator:

oion

The only time you really need to worry about heat outright damaging your computer hardware is if it actually crashes/shuts down. Hardware longevity is a different matter, though, and not something we can measure immediately. Practically speaking, that means awareness of your device's operating limits and the environment; if the ambient temperature of your environment is something like over 90F with humidity, you probably shouldn't use a computer at all, for example. I believe the user manuals for the Surfaces have information about operating temps somewhere.

Even though heat in general is an enemy of all electronics, the cumulative effects against durability for the average user isn't something to worry about if you're indoors in decent temps; a few hours of gaming here and there counts as "average" to me. If you game on it for days on end, that naturally introduces more wear, however (this is why real gamers have desktops--ventilation or fluid-cooling). Enjoy your Pro. :)

Some reading.