What's new

Will SP4 come with a SIM card slot, for GPRS/EDGE/UMTS/LTE?

SetTrend

The title says it all ...

Will the Surface Pro 4 provide a 4G slot for inserting telecommunication SIM cards?

optical1

The title says it all ...

Will the Surface Pro 4 provide a 4G slot for inserting telecommunication SIM cards?

I find this to be the most glaring and significant omission from the surface pro line. The whole point of these devices is to have a powerful, adaptable MOBILE computer. Many mobile users, myself included, need to have access to data on a constant basis. After playing with the SP4 model, with the new keyboard, and the new pen, this is an upgrade to the SP3 in every way. The keyboard is honestly a revelation for this lineup. Unfortunately, the lack of LTE has me considering the Surface 3 with LTE as a companion device over the SP4 to replace my current machine. It just seems like such a shame to overlook a portion of the Surface Pro audience who would be better serviced by the inclusion of an LTE option. For me it would make this device a must-have upgrade. It's really too bad, it seems like a missed opportunity.

OP
S

SetTrend

Fully agree. I was planning to replace both, my notebook and my smartphone, with the SP4 for going out in the fields.

Now I hesitate and await the Christmas season to pass. Perhaps after that there'll be new editions added to the market?

optical1

Fully agree. I was planning to replace both, my notebook and my smartphone, with the SP4 for going out in the fields.

Now I hesitate and await the Christmas season to pass. Perhaps after that there'll be new editions added to the market?

There are two additional machines that will be coming to the market here shortly that I'm going to check out before making my decision. Both the HP Sceptre X2 (which is confusingly named closely to two of there previous products) and the Lenovo Miix 700 will be 12" Skylake 'M' powered machines that will offer LTE connectivity. Each of these options are essentially blatant ripoffs of the Surface Pro, and should be considered if you need LTE connectivity. Better still, the packages for these machines include the keyboard! In all honesty, I expect these machines to be nowhere near as powerful as the Surface Pro in it's top configuration, but may be capable enough to suffice as a daily driver. They should be released in early November.

Are you listening Microsoft? You're losing sales here...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are two additional machines that will be coming to the market here shortly that I'm going to check out before making my decision. Both the HP Sceptre X2 (which is confusingly named closely to two of there previous products) and the Lenovo Miix 700 will be 12" Skylake 'M' powered machines that will offer LTE connectivity. Each of these options are essentially blatant ripoffs of the Surface Pro, and should be considered if you need LTE connectivity. Better still, the packages for these machines include the keyboard! In all honesty, I expect these machines to be nowhere near as powerful as the Surface Pro in it's top configuration, but may be capable enough to suffice as a daily driver. They should be released in early November.

Are you listening Microsoft? You're losing sales here...
I don't think any of the Surface Clones offer everything the Surface does but they do offer some things the Surface doesn't. This is how Microsoft has always left space for other (software) partners. As opposed to Apple Microsoft wants partners and will leave some space for them and even help them. I don't think MS is looking to own the market they are shining the light on the path forward.

optical1

I don't think any of the Surface Clones offer everything the Surface does but they do offer some things the Surface doesn't. This is how Microsoft has always left space for other (software) partners. As opposed to Apple Microsoft wants partners and will leave some space for them and even help them. I don't think MS is looking to own the market they are shining the light on the path forward.
I agree with everything you posted above. I really don't want a surface clone. I really want the Surface Pro 4 with LTE. The problem is that no matter my choice, I'm making a concession. The question is, which is more important? LTE connectivity or having a true desktop replacement? I guess I should just be happy to have options in the first place. I guess my frustration lies in the fact that I would have preordered the SP4 if there was an LTE option as it checks all the boxes for me otherwise.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
My conversation with the Surface Engineering teams have been that LTE in a Pro level device is not in the plans because:

Additional antenna causes additional contention
LTE generates additional heat so only LTE in fanless devices (leaves some room for a LTE Core M)
LTE draws additional power and battery life suffers

If they put LTE into a Core M it would happen af.ter the first of the year as they have typically released LTE models 4-6 months after launch of WiFi models.

OP
S

SetTrend

I understand that LTE requires a considerable plus on energy.

Still, without LTE I wouldn't consider a tablet to be truely portable.

Morover, I would consider a compass device a must-have requirement for outdoor activity, like sailing.

Lenovo has put an additional rechargeable battery into their keyboard. I would suggest the Surface keyboard to come with an ultra-flat rechargeable battery, too. This would help keeping the MS Surface "alive" while being used outdoors.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I dont imagine there is a big enough market to justify it. You can thank greedy network providers for that. The vast majority just tether instead of paying for yet another contract.

I honestly don't understand how LTE capability has any bearing on something being considered portable or not.

optical1

I dont imagine there is a big enough market to justify it. You can thank greedy network providers for that. The vast majority just tether instead of paying for yet another contract.

I honestly don't understand how LTE capability has any bearing on something being considered portable or not.

I find it hard to believe that there isn't enough market to justify making an LTE surface. Especially if there is enough market demand to justify the Surface 3 LTE. I would expect that enterprise users would easily eclipse the consumer demand for the Surface 3. My company as an example would purchase the LTE enabled model just in case it would be a field requirement for our staff. I would expect this would result in around 75-100 surface pro 4's being purchased with the LTE option and an additional 50-75 surface pro 4's being added to our stock replacing iPad tablets currently in use by those requiring a field device with data connections.

Microsoft is missing the mark here if they are holding back an LTE model due to concerns about demand. We would happily purchase SP4's as they would converge a PC and an iPad for our staff. The added cost of LTE is offset by utilization of one device and would result in an overall savings to our company.

I also understand the comment from SetTrend regarding portability. For those of us who demand a full time data connection, adding a USB dongle or hotspot is inconvenient, reduces the full time connectivity of the device and is one more device to lose break or charge. Alternatively, using your phone as a hotspot presents the same problem regarding constant connectivity, diminishes your battery quickly, and in certain cases prevents you from using your phone simultaneously.

OP
S

SetTrend

I guess that depends on the provider. I'm paying 4 € a month for a second SIM card (MultiSIM). That's fair enough for me.

That's probably a country issue. With free WiFi available everywhere in the forests there might be no demand for LTE/UMTS/EDGE to claim true portability. But in countries where free WiFi is not available I find it hard to comprehend calling a device portable whose OS and collaboration software becomes fairly unfunctional without Internet connection.

On the other hand, I wouldn't call a device portable if a second device (Transceiver; i.e. smartphone, USB stick or LAN connection) was mandatory to establish full functionality.