What's new

Will the i3 meet you needs? My thoughts

raqball

I previously had the i5 / 8 / 256 and always assumed it was overkill for my needs and usage. It was returned for defect reasons. I really missed the SP3 so I decided to give it another shot. This time I decided on the i3 / 4 / 64.

I use the SP3 as a tablet 90% of the time and for very lite PC use the other 10%. I am retired and it's a home type usage only kind of thing for me.

I've been pushing this thing pretty hard to make sure the processor and RAM are adequate for my needs. So far, based on my usage, its fine and might still be overkill.

My usage: (these are all usually running in the background)
  • Tweetium
  • Nextgen Reader
  • Mail
  • IE (websites / YouTube)
  • MSN Sports
  • MSN News
  • Package Tracking
I also use these often but they don't always run in the background
  • Simple photo editing
  • Calendar
  • OneNote
  • OneDrive
  • MS Word
  • Music App
  • Video App
I do other things obviously but this is my normal usage.

Speed

I don't notice any discernible difference between the i3 and the i5. While I am pretty sure there is a difference, I don't notice it. For my use the i3 is blazing fast and I've encountered no issues.

RAM

I am not seeing any issues at all going to the 4GB version. For my usage I am hovering around 1.7GB used and 2.3GB free. See the screenshot:

Screenshot (1).png

As you can see everything is fine and dandy rockin' 4GB of RAM

Storage

This is where it could get tricky for some as is the 64GB of storage enough?

For me it's more than enough. I have an Office subscription and as you may already know that comes with unlimited OneDrive storage. I also have a 128GB microSD card. Between the OneDrive space and the SD card I feel that I am more than covered. If you don't have an Office subscription then microSD cards are pretty cheap these days. You can find quality ones for about $30 in the 64GB size.

I know this question pops up often about the i3 and if its suitable for your use. I hope I've helped someone with this thread who may be trying to decide. I'd say that if your usage is anywhere even close to mine, that the i3 is more than enough..

Last edited:

Donald King

Thanks for a very detailed post! This would have helped me. I bought the i7 / 8GB / 256GB. I need the storage and the RAM, but I have yet to push the processor at all. The i7 gets hot too. I love my SP3, but feel I would have been better off with the i3 or i5 with 8GB / 256GB to improve battery life and reduce heat.

OP
raqball

raqball

Thanks for a very detailed post! This would have helped me. I bought the i7 / 8GB / 256GB. I need the storage and the RAM, but I have yet to push the processor at all. The i7 gets hot too. I love my SP3, but feel I would have been better off with the i3 or i5 with 8GB / 256GB to improve battery life and reduce heat.

The i3 runs cooler and quieter than my i5 did..

VickiFL

Your post makes me very glad I decided to go with the i3. I never push mine that hard, and I make a habit of going to task manager to kill programs a lot.

OP
raqball

raqball

Your post makes me very glad I decided to go with the i3. I never push mine that hard, and I make a habit of going to task manager to kill programs a lot.

I honestly don't think you need to shut down apps as Windows does a stellar job of managing them. I do occasionally shut down IE because its gets to be a RAM hog over time but I think you'd be fine only doing that once a day or so..

The i3 is definitely a stronger CPU than any of the Atom models so it will be better than all those tablets. I just wish they had given it 128gb of storage for that price.

I agree but I don't think they'd sell as many i5's if they did that since the i5 processor alone is not worth the extra $200 in my opinion.

I'm not in the least bit worried about storage as all movies, videos and photos are on my OneDrive. I also have the SD card I mentioned. Heck my ChromeBook Pixel only had 32GB of storage.. LOL

VickiFL

I honestly don't think you need to shut down apps as Windows does a stellar job of managing them. I do occasionally shut down IE because its gets to be a RAM hog over time but I think you'd be fine only doing that once a day or so..

I just like a program to really be closed when I get out of it. It's an OCD thing. o_O

OP
raqball

raqball

I just like a program to really be closed when I get out of it. It's an OCD thing. o_O

I know the feeling.. I wipe down my screen with a microfiber cloth constantly because those fingerprints and smudges on the screen drive me bananas... :eek:

VickiFL

I know the feeling.. I wipe down my screen with a microfiber cloth constantly because those fingerprints and smudges on the screen drive me bananas... :eek:

I do that every time I open my SP3. LOL It seems we have a lot in common when it comes to our SP3's. :)

VickiFL

Now I am seriously considering exchanging this i3 and get the i5, just pay the $200.00 difference. I'm still within my 30 days. I'm going to call Microsoft and see if they will let me do that, and transfer my Microsoft Complete plan.