What's new

will the pro be good for reading text?

voodooevil

Hi.
I am a big Microsoft fan, but strayed and bought a Google nexus 10. It has a great screen with 300 PPI which created nice text for hours of reading. After 4 RMA,s because of real bad backlight bleed I gave up and returned it.

The surface pro seems like the PPI was a little low. 207 I think. Will this be comfortable for my eyes.
I can't wait to order this thing.
Thanks for this forum.
Joe.....

Chubnut

It hasn't proven to be a problem for me, in fact I'm reading more now (news, blogs, books etc) then I ever did on the laptop or PC screen.

Hope you enjoy your Surface (RT or Pro) as much as I am.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

Russ

Joe --

I am an avid reader and previously used an Ipad exclusively as a reader. Since I got my Surface RT, it is now my primary reader, and the Ipad is a paperweight. In this context, I think of "reading" as books, technical papers, etc. -- text intensive material. When I go out for a meal (alone), as I often do, I take my RT along and read while I eat. When I go to bed, I usually plan for about an hour of reading. I have found it to be very comfortable with no eye strain (and my eyes are probably older than yours).

I think you will enjoy it very much.

Regards,
Russ

OP
V

voodooevil

Hi Russ...
My eyes are 45 years old....:)
I have been reading on the nook e-ink reader for 2 years......but looking for something different. I plan to read Under The Dome by S. King as my first surfacebook. I think I may actually go to Bestbuy and buy the rt...the pro may be overkill for me.
Thanks Russ.
....joe.....

bosamar

I've read three entire books my on RT in the last two months and think the display is excellent, however the only thing I have to compare it to is my iPadv1.

J515OP

Super Moderator
The Surface Tablets definitely don't have the ppi which I would normally consider a minus but the true type really seems to make up the difference. Still not the best resolution but certainly better than specs alone would indicate.

JP

bulls96

Im actually wondering if the higher resolution on the Pro will be a disadvantage for reading books?
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

J515OP

Super Moderator
No if any thing I think it will be better. Just makes the pixels disappear but the reader app should have controls for the actual text size.

OP
V

voodooevil

Hi again.
I actually bought the Rt from bestbuy. I really love it I do wish the ppi was a little better for reading. I will get the pro and pass this over to my wife.

Stue

How is it compared to a Kindle? I read all my books on Kindle, but would be cool to try it out on the Surface.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Kindle e-reader or fire? It will be totally different than reading on the original kindle and more like reading on a laptop.