What's new

Will you go MS all the way to phone if you already have surface book?

bangsters

Hey guys. Currently i got rid of my sp3 as I'm getting the surface book and/or maybe surface pro4 for the other half. The question is, if you already are getting the book or the pro4, is there a reason to get the Lumia with its continuum? Or not worth getting it since you already are getting the book?

For phone i currently have the iphone 6 and hate it that I'm choosing to go back to htc one or try the lumia 650xl to complement the surface book?

What would you do??

malberttoo

Hey guys. Currently i got rid of my sp3 as I'm getting the surface book and/or maybe surface pro4 for the other half. The question is, if you already are getting the book or the pro4, is there a reason to get the Lumia with its continuum? Or not worth getting it since you already are getting the book?

For phone i currently have the iphone 6 and hate it that I'm choosing to go back to htc one or try the lumia 650xl to complement the surface book?

What would you do??

Honestly, it's whatever works best for you. Do you see yourself actually using or needing the Continuum feature? Is the feature worth switching up for you, since you seem to be happy with your iPhone? If you DO try it, and don't like it, how difficult will it be $$$-wise for you to go back?

My two cents...

Nuspieds

I'd definitely love to take advantage of Continuum and, most importantly, work with a consistent UI across my devices.

However, it really does boil down to the apps. Now, I'm not an app guy at all in the sense that my iPhone is loaded with all sorts of apps; rather, you can classify me as having primarily basic productivity apps (airline, hotel, rental car, banking, shopping).

I'm definitely not tied to my Shopping List app or Translator, for example; I can switch to another one at any time. But my banking, airline, car integration, home security integration, etc.? No, I cannot give those up and switch to a browser interface instead because it would definitely be a step backwards.

So, until my critical apps appear on Windows Mobile, I won't be adopting it.

Cobalt Wraith

Just came from a Lumia 1520 myself to an iPhone 6S+. I loved my time having all Windows based devices, but unless you're primarily an enterprise guy or a hardware fanatic, it just doesn't seem worth it anymore. The point of a Surface is that I always have a computer with me, so why would I carry another one in the form of my phone as well? In my opinion, the first point of a phone is to be a phone, everything else being secondary, and there are other devices out there that fulfil this role better. For students or casual and some niche users who want to simplify to a single device, I think continuum is awesome! For most others, there just doesn't seem to be much point to me.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will, as it'll allow me to bypass my thethering limit when at home :)

So long as there is a natwest, flashlight, and viber app, then the whole app store thing is irrelevant to me :) for me it is basically continuum and the camera, that's me sold.

OP
B

bangsters

Thanks guys. I'm not an iphone fan tbh. I had an htc one mc7 and mc8 then iphone 5s and 6. Never really been a fan. I could say i tried it but thats about it. So switching will be easy, its more about functionality for me being in the IT field.

Tht being said, if you already have the surface book would there even be a reason to use continuum? I know i'm trying to justify the need to get continuum lol, but I can't find a scenario where I would be using it if I have the book or even the pro already.

Cobalt Wraith

Thanks guys. I'm not an iphone fan tbh. I had an htc one mc7 and mc8 then iphone 5s and 6. Never really been a fan. I could say i tried it but thats about it. So switching will be easy, its more about functionality for me being in the IT field.

Tht being said, if you already have the surface book would there even be a reason to use continuum? I know i'm trying to justify the need to get continuum lol, but I can't find a scenario where I would be using it if I have the book or even the pro already.

For Continuum by itself? Not likely. For being an IT guy? Yeah you could more easily come up with something there. I've had by far the easiest time getting exchange accounts, citrix apps, remote desktop, and all sorts of IT goodies to work with the Windows phones compared to their android or iOS counterparts. If the apps are not the most important things to you then by all means go for it, and enjoy the extra battery life while you're at it. I just hope they get the Cortana integration to work better between multiple devices in the November update :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The thing I like most about TH2 on both be Lumia 1520 and SP3/S3 is now I get missed calls notification on my tablet and can text them back through Cortana. Perfect when I'm meetings all day....

Deryl McCarty

Am getting a 950XL when MSFT finally decides to put it up for sale. I like the integration and commonality of OS aspects. Now to get MSFT to figure out how to integrate with my Chevvy. Tomorrow will be a big day of cleaning off the SP3, i7, 256 and readying it for my wife so that I can learn about my new (and not to0 far away, deliver by noon) SB i7, 16, 512.

Wayne Orwig

I would like to have everything in a consistent environment like that, but I am dug too deeply into Android for my phone.
If the MS apps grow more, maybe in the future. And right now MS is investing in developing apps for Android, so soon there may not be much reason to think about it.