What's new

WIN 10 CLEAN INSTALL OR ALLOW UPGRADE?

leeshor

On another laptop, can you install Windows 10 to an external drive and then swap drives inside? I want to eventually upgrade to an SSD and rather have Windows 10 installed directly to do the swap. Can it be installed this way?
Yes, somewhere on the forum is a photo of a Surface with an upgraded SSD, but he had to saw a rather large square piece of the tablet off to get into it.

Johnny365

I mean on my other laptop, connecting an external SSD, installing Windows 10 on it, and then swapping the mechanical inside for the SSD. Other laptop, not SP3.

leeshor

I mean on my other laptop, connecting an external SSD, installing Windows 10 on it, and then swapping the mechanical inside for the SSD. Other laptop, not SP3.
Won't work. You can't install Windows on anything other than the primary drive. But installing it if you swapped the drive first would work.

xbliss

I'd suggest looking into Windows To Go (from Win Enterprise) + Native Boot VHDs

so i had the preview on my surface pro 2... went back to OEM 8.1 downloaded from MS site...
ran all updates and been waiting..

did an upgrade last night and have it with me today at work to poke around. upgrade was seamless and went without a hitch... very nice...

still got all my apps (photoshop, lightroom, premiere, etc...)

more to come...

leeshor

Where is the Windows 10 key for iso installation?
If you do an in-place upgrade to Windows 10 you can then do a clean install if it was activated. The only way to actually get a Windows 10 key is purchase a copy. Doing a clean install AFTER the upgrade does not require a key if Windows 10 was activated.